Pork Cheeks

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Anyone with recipes?
I have just under 3 pounds of pig cheeks.... thought I was buying BEEF cheeks, since they were next to the beef tongue, cow heads, etc....

Depends what your looking for. You can braise it an shred it for tacos or serve it over rice, potatoes.
Or smoke it for 2 hrs, sauce, cover with foil and cook for another hour.
Smoked Jowls is like poor mans bacon and really good in beans and greens.
I find them more common than beef cheeks and I usually just smoke them for 2-3 hrs round 250 and save for beans, stews etc.
I think you'll like em with whatever way you prepare them.

Tim

Depends what your looking for. You can braise it an shred it for tacos or serve it over rice, potatoes.
Or smoke it for 2 hrs, sauce, cover with foil and cook for another hour.
Smoked Jowls is like poor mans bacon and really good in beans and greens.
I find them more common than beef cheeks and I usually just smoke them for 2-3 hrs round 250 and save for beans, stews etc.
I think you'll like em with whatever way you prepare them.

Tim
Thanks Tim, I found something already....

Very interesting item. Never ever get them here so I thought I'd look.
And I found this . Funny as well as informative. Some recipes too.
Saw that also Len, Thank you!

Smoking over apple till 200, like pork shoulder, then shredding for tacos... should be ok. Dirt cheap at 49¢ lb.

I have purchased a half pig several times. Most often, the cheeks & jowls either ground up, or sometimes smoked like bacon. Really, I did not care for it, even as bacon. It was grisly, not as good as regular bacon. If I had any, I'd grind it up to raise the fat content on ground loin for sausage making.

I like the idea of throwing it in a crock pot of beans over night.

I had my first exposure to Hog Jowls (Bacon style) at Lambert's in Foley, AL a few years ago.
I found it quite tasty! I suppose that they removed any of the semi-nasty parts in the prep.

If you find yourself in that area - check it out, it's not just good eats, it's an EXPERIENCE (of the fun kind)...

How'd they turn-out, Jim?

Back