Perfect Chicken Wings

PaulBz

TVWBB Fan
Ok so I got a new bbq book. I had been doing wings at 250 for 1 1/2 hours and then trying to increase temp as much as possible for about 15 minutes to help crisp them up. It doesn't really get over 300 for the most part though. And I think that's due to the water pan of course. I do not want to take out the water pan because that definitely adds moisture. But the guy in this book lights another half chimney of charcoal. Takes both racks out and takes the water pan out and then puts it all back together. That really is a lot of work. And you risk spilling the wings all over the place with the bottom rack. I am not sure how that works. Has any one else done this? So thing were not super crispy but they were a little crispy and I thought really good. I am not sure I really want them that much more crisp and other people agreed. Can I get your thoughts? I want all my bbq to be perfect for my new place.
thanks

If you need to add more fuel, add it through the door, I use a fireplace shovel. It reaches in far enough to get things evenly distributed.
Taking the whole thing apart to add coal is nuts!

Well adding coals is fine it's easy to pick it up. But good idea on the shovel. Getting the water pan out is the hassle. I am not sure how you really successfully do that. I think I'll just leave the wings how they are. But I'd like to try that way.

Best solution is to use your kettle. Weber basket of coals on either side and wings down the middle. Any smoke wood works fine, but make sure you put a disposable aluminum pan under the wings to catch the goo.

We have been using this recipe for years and it never fails to satisfy. The longer you marinate the wings, the better. Use Frank's Red Hot Sauce.

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/buffa-que-wings/

Jeff

You could even put them under the broiler in your oven for 2-3 minutes after your grill has done it's work ;)

Yeah I think that most bbq places fry them to service. I don't have a fryer but when I open my place and have one I may consider doing that. The broiler is not a bad idea. Thank you for the recipe as well. I have not tried wet marinated wings. My rub is so good and I love the kiss of pecan smoke on my wings that I haven't done anything else. But just to change it up I should a wet marinade. I do wet marinades a lot with chicken breasts and I love them. They really are great the way I made them. But they could be a little crispier. I don't think I am going to do them on the kettle. I made four pounds yesterday and will make more so I like them in the wsm. The could have been a tad more crispy. I can get the top rack off fine But I feel trying to get the lower rack off I'll spill the wings everywhere getting it out. I have already done that once. But I'll try that next time and take out the water pan. I would also imagine when taking the water pan off that the wings on the bottom grate will get more charred. I also need to use professional and it runs hotter and put a little more charcoal in there next time so it stays hotter. I use the chips for wings so I don't have to worry as much about fitting wood on it with the water pan. I am going to look into the brinkman water pan I was showed to help fit wood in and just replenish the water more often as the water pan is smaller for long cooks.

I cannot offer help to your specific question because I do wings on the Kettle with high heat for a much shorter duration. But I do agree with you, it seems like lots of work to do what you are seeking. In my humble opinion, if I were in your shoes I would at least experiment with a batch by not using the water pan at all if your plan is to move it midway through the cook.

I may try that. I have not done that yet as I assume that will not makes the wings as moist. What about brining the wings? Do you think that would help?

I am no expert but I have never brined wings. When I was brand new to smoking I did wings a couple times in a smoker at 250'ish and I proclaimed they were good. Then I faced reality and sought a better way. After a few methods, I honed-in on using a Vortex in a Kettle with as high of heat as I can achieve. After finding that method I have never sought a different setup; to me they are superb. For my preference, they are moist enough with a skin that snaps.

Holy crap I just read and watched a youtube video on this vortex gadget. it looks awesome. One guy did wings and one guy did a pork butt. I would still use the wsm for all other low and slow smoking I am thinking. But for wings this vortex could be a game changer. Now I wonder how you get the smoke into the wings though. I like the wsm and putting a little pecan in there and it gets the kiss of smoke going straight up. Does it affect the smoke flavor not having that?

Holy crap I just read and watched a youtube video on this vortex gadget. it looks awesome. One guy did wings and one guy did a pork butt. I would still use the wsm for all other low and slow smoking I am thinking. But for wings this vortex could be a game changer. Now I wonder how you get the smoke into the wings though. I like the wsm and putting a little pecan in there and it gets the kiss of smoke going straight up. Does it affect the smoke flavor not having that?

So, the people that use the vortex who want to add smoking wood just put a big chunk over the vortex on the grill grate. In my experience, though, that doesn't work really well because the vortex is like a jet engine and I think it produces very little smoke at that high of a temperature. I think if you offset it so the wood smolders, it'll work. For me, I decided I'd forego the smoke and just enjoy healthier, crispy grilled wings. (If I were to want smoked wings, I'd just set the kettle up with coals burning on both side and an empty tin foil pan in the center under the wings. It takes about an hour and a quarter to do them that way, whereas with the vortex my wings are done in 28 minutes.)

I may try that. I have not done that yet as I assume that will not makes the wings as moist. What about brining the wings? Do you think that would help?

Chicken wings have a lot of fat, so they are almost always "moist" no matter how you cook them. I have sometimes overcooked wings, but never to the point of making them dry. In the recipe I referenced above, we cook the wings indirect, then finish them to a crispy char directly over the baskets of coals for about a minute or less per side.

Jeff

I am a little wary about getting the smoke flavor in the wings with the vortex. How are they healthier doing the vortex method though? When I open my new place I am going to have a bunch of wsm's. I am not really going to purchase a bunch of 28 kettles just for wings. And that is just a lot more hassle and room to take up in my place. I am going to try you tube and researching other blogs about making them crispier on the wsm. I am also going to try and contact the author of the book and figure logistically how he takes the bottom grate and water pan out. The wings are a tad crispy just not exactly crispy enough. I could just sell them as is and be fine not quite crispy but I am determined to figure this out!

I am a little wary about getting the smoke flavor in the wings with the vortex. How are they healthier doing the vortex method though? When I open my new place I am going to have a bunch of wsm's. I am not really going to purchase a bunch of 28 kettles just for wings. And that is just a lot more hassle and room to take up in my place. I am going to try you tube and researching other blogs about making them crispier on the wsm. I am also going to try and contact the author of the book and figure logistically how he takes the bottom grate and water pan out. The wings are a tad crispy just not exactly crispy enough. I could just sell them as is and be fine not quite crispy but I am determined to figure this out!

I just meant healthier than fried. Most of the smoked wings that I've had have all just been smoked for a long time and the skin gets to a point of being fine...IMHO they'll never get smoked wings as crispy as fried, without flash frying after they're smoked or something.

Thank you guys. Of course they will never be as crispy as fried. I'm fine with that. Just a little crispier. And when I open my new place I might fry to service. I haven't tried that yet. I'm doing bbq once a week or so. I'm still debating whether I want to try and have smoked wings as a regular menu item or at least more than once a week or just include them once a week with my other bbq.

I've done wings in contests several times and have a 1st place and a couple 2nds, calls, etc. I've never used the water pan for chicken. Even at high heat, the grates are high enough that I've never had a problem with them burning.

Since I don't compete anymore, I use my 26er for 95% of my cooking now. But, when was using the WSM for wings, I'd run it full open. After about 40 minutes, I'd pull both racks to sauce them (I hate sloppy wings). I put them back no for another 30 minutes and then start checking visually (for crispness) and with my Thermapen.

BD

So bill, the bottom rack didn't cook faster than the top without the water pan? I need to practice taking out the lower grate while the cooker is not in use I spilled an entire rack of wings trying it once. I think I'll get it down. I'm going to try a batch without the water pan and one with the water pan and taking it out to get wings crispier.

1. Deep fry a batch and grill a batch simultaneously, taste both, and report your preference. If you believe fried tastes better then I did something horribly wrong when comparing the two.
2. I am very-well pleased at how charcoal flavors wings with or without a chunk of wood when I use the Vortex.

I don't have a deep fryer but have had many fried wings. And yes smoked it a lot better on the grill!I have made wings on the kettle. I haven't done vortex yet. But I think I like the kiss of smoke you get with the wsm.

Back