What's your take on a 2012 Genesis 330?

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
I just bought one off CL to replace my rusting POS Nexgrill which could never get hot enough to grill corn - let alone sear a steak.

This one seems to be in very good condition. Has a sear station & side burner. It's LP.
Would like to add rotisserie to it.

So... what's your opinion of this grill? Hints on use or care?

TIA

I've got a 2014 / 2015 S330 and it's a great BBQ. I easily get 700 degrees and it's pretty consistent temp all over. The roto is not a selling feature. It's too low only providing maybe 5" before it rubs the burner, that was a disappointment for me

I think these are solid grills, and only 5 years old, so unless it's been abused there should be plenty of good use in it.

Not sure about the rotisserie, though. The Summits with the infrared roti burner have a real advantage in this department.

It's a great grill. Biggest thing to watch is the lower cabinet as they tend to rust out. Can't tell you how many I've seen where everything up in the grill box is in great shape, but the bottom panel and bottoms of the side panels/doors are ate up. There's a number of things you can do to take preventative measures if you want.

Don't buy it with the idea of using a rotisserie. Waste of time and money. Burners are laid out wrong for that. To this day I can't understand why Weber has not figured out how they lost the spin cooking crown with the redesign. IT would be so easy to simply add a rear burner. Doesn't even have to be infrared (which is over rated). Just a nice full width conventional burner and maybe a little smoker chip tray above it. Anyway if you want to do rotisserie PROPERLY than forget the newer style Genesis grills and go for an old style or find another grill Summit or some other brand that offers a rear burner

It's a great grill. Biggest thing to watch is the lower cabinet as they tend to rust out. Can't tell you how many I've seen where everything up in the grill box is in great shape, but the bottom panel and bottoms of the side panels/doors are ate up. There's a number of things you can do to take preventative measures if you want.

Apart from keeping the grill covered when not in use, what do you recommend?

Rustoleum makes a clear top coat rust preventative spray paint. Will see if I can find a link to it. That would be something to use before any rust develops. If you are feeling really froggy, you could always paint the entire lower cabinet with something from Rustoleum, or POR15. Again, this is preventative. Once rust has developed, then there are other products to use, like a rust converter from Eastwood Products, or a product called Ospho.

Hopefully, LMichaels will pop back into this thread as he's a whiz at this.

Well while products like POR15 or others like Encapsualtor from Eastwood will stop and convert rust it will not replace metal that is "gone".

As people have said, rust on the lower cabinet is the part you want to really watch for... Oddly enough the side frames are more $$$ than summit sides for me, the bottom pan can be had fairly cheap though. I've had cheap flippers that I have repaired using aluminum angle iron to join the sides and bottom back together and just put a 12x12 sheet of aluminum sheet to cover the rotting propane tank hole

The cookoxes, lids and internals are hearty enough where I've been pondering ways to turn all the rotted ones I've had in the yard into built ins

Note: "all the rotted ones" is not an indicator of any issues with the grill, it is because most came from houses on the ocean

Don't buy it with the idea of using a rotisserie. Waste of time and money. Burners are laid out wrong for that. To this day I can't understand why Weber has not figured out how they lost the spin cooking crown with the redesign.

I agree with that. I have the EP-330, and bought the rotisserie, which doesn't work very well because there is not much clearance, but mostly because the burners are laid out in the wrong direction for the roto. They should be parallel to the spit, rather than perpendicular to it. When I spin chickens, the meat near the ends of the spit gets overcooked, and the meat in the middle is much less cooked.

Well while products like POR15 or others like Encapsualtor from Eastwood will stop and convert rust it will not replace metal that is "gone".

What came to mind was the one thread where you talked about various products and got into things like shooting into doors as a preventative maintenance. Basically, use X before any rust develops to try and forestall it, use Y when you start to see some rust to nip it in the bud.

Back