New: Kingsford BBQ Sauce available Feb 2017

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Kingsford plans to take a bite out of the $600M+ U.S. barbecue sauce market with their first-ever line of three new BBQ sauces and a new BBQ sauce mix/dry rub.

Coming to stores in Feb. 2017, flavors include Honey Jalapeno Mesquite, Brown Sugar Applewood, and Original Smoked Hickory. The customizable BBQ Sauce Mix/Dry Rub is sold in a 4 oz pouch and reconstituted with liquid of your choice (beer, soda, lemonade, water) to make 16 ounces of sauce, or used dry as a rub. 18 oz bottles of sauce retail for $2.99, sauce mix for $3.79.

O3oz60q.jpg

NpF4OYD.jpg

All three contain "natural smoke flavor" in varieties of mesquite, hickory, or apple.

I'm not a liquid smoke basher. Personally, I would never use it as a substitute for real smoke on meat, but I think it's OK as an ingredient in sauce IF USED PROPERLY AND SPARINGLY. The best brands like Wright's are just water and actual condensed smoke.

Some light reading:

Serious Eats: Pantry Essentials: All About Liquid Smoke

Eater: Liquid Smoke: The History Behind a Divisive Culinary Shortcut

From the later:

"Serious Eats's Kenji López-Alt is unapologetic in featuring liquid smoke in several of his sous vide barbecue recipes for his Food Lab column. 'The stuff that goes into the bottle, minus a couple of chemical components that are not water soluble, is almost identical to meat when it's smoking,' says López-Alt, who explained that a lot of the problems with liquid smoke comes from beginners not understanding the less-is-more philosophy. 'Flavor-wise, there's no reason you can't make good smoky food using liquid smoke.'"

Back