Chicken with Alabama White Sauce

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
We've been out of town for the last 15 days due to family affairs. No internet the whole time except for a few sessions at a library. It's good to be home and cooking.

I've been wanting to do a chicken with white sauce for quite some time. Decided to give it a try.
The basic recipe for the sauce is here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/big_bob_gibsons_white_sauce.html

I cut the chicken in half, packed it in coarse Ksalt and put it in the fridge for several hours. It was then removed, rinsed well & allowed to dry.
The bird was coated with lard, a heavy rub of 50/50 coarse Ksalt & pepper applied & hung in the 14.5. A russet potato went along for the ride.

PICT2087_zpsw5ydkqpw.jpg

Cooked over a full chimney of lit KBB with 2 chunks of hickory. Temps were above 350* for most of the cook. The chick was pulled around 40 minutes, another coat of lard was applied & then returned to the smoker. 45 minutes later:

PICT2092_zpsaadkg0mw.jpg

Sauced:

PICT2097_zpsrmilq27h.jpg

Time to eat!

PICT2106_zpsmd5nqjbw.jpg

Gotta say: Damn Good! The sauce is great. Will definitely cook this again. Next time... maybe a bit more mayonnaise for a thicker sauce.

Last edited:
Looks great! I've been wanting to try Chicken with white sauce for a while now too and you inspired me. Picking up a fresh fryer tomorrow for the WSM.

Chicken looks great! I have never tried the white bbq sauce, but the more I see it, the higer up my list it goes.

Great looking results, Robert! That Alabama white sauce is good stuff - I even like using it on foods besides chicken (e.g. also goes great with fish and also makes a nice vegetable dip).

Around here that sauce is da bomb. SWMBO likes it on everything from pulled pork, to baked potatoes, to hush puppies...and yes, chicken.

Thanks again for the inspiration, Robert. Tried it last night and it was some of the best chicken I've ever had. That's going into the regular rotation for sure!

I used Chris Lilly's white sauce recipe, which is very similar to the one you linked to:

Ingredients
2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
(Makes 4 cups)

Directions
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and blend well. Use as a marinade, baste, or dipping sauce. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Back