Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill and Summit Charcoal Grilling Center - New for 2016

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnA_Boise View Post
    I HATE the Weber Gourmet BBQ system cutout in the grill grate.
    Uggh, sorry to hear that. It's one of those things that everyone thinks it's cool to have until they try it out in practice. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSmith View Post
    Uggh, sorry to hear that. It's one of those things that everyone thinks it's cool to have until they try it out in practice. Bummer.
    I was rereading my post and it made me laugh.. maybe a bit over dramatic but I had just had the center insert fall into the pile of coal causing an ash cloud that got my boxers in a twist

All in all it really is a great grill. That is the only complaint I can come up with. I wish that there was an option from Weber for me to buy a grate that doesn't have that cutout. It's annoying. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that feels that way!
    WSCGC: - WSM 18.5 - 22" Premium Charcoal Grill

I wish that there was an option from Weber for me to buy a grate that doesn't have that cutout. It's annoying. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that feels that way!
    Reach out to Mark Baron. He runs a wire and metal fab business called Belex, Inc. Killa Grilla grates is one of his brands. His SS grates are amazing. If he doesn't have what you need as a standard model yet, he'll custom make it for you. I bought two WSM cooking grates from him recently. Great guy to do business with.

http://killagrilla.com/

Here are his standard models:

https://squareup.com/store/killagrilla/

They are pricey, but you get what you pay for. They're much heavier gauge than Weber OEM and since they are true SS, they are very easy to keep clean.

Yes, I would also recommend Mark Baron of Killa Grilla. If he doesn't list it, I would ask him since others would probably also be interested. I have 2 of his 22" grates and one old-style 26" grate. He may be the only viable source for grates for the old 26" flat-top like mine.

His grates are wonderful, top quality stainless. Easy to clean and hold up very well. On the gas grill forum I tell people that he is to kettle grill grates what Dave Santana "rcplanebuyer" is to Genesis grates.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 CharQ,Q2200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, SJ. 2 many projects!

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I think if you got that killa grilla you'd never need another grate. I wish they did the opposite and made one with the center cutout for the 22 inch. I'd be willing to bet it's a ton of extra work to make one with the cutout though.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Quote Originally Posted by J Grotz View Post
    Reach out to Mark Baron. He runs a wire and metal fab business called Belex, Inc. Killa Grilla grates is one of his brands.
    Thanks for the lead on the killa grilla grate. Looks like a great product!
    WSCGC: - WSM 18.5 - 22" Premium Charcoal Grill

Quote Originally Posted by BillSmith View Post
    It’s fascinating to me to learn what other people have in their collection but 7 WSMs!!? Wow! Are they all different sizes and with different mods?

I’m happy with my 18” but would like to get the 14” at some point.
    I have a 1983 Model 1880 14", a 2013 14" sent by Weber, and a 2018 14" still in a box.

I have a early 90's 18" in an unusual original octagonal box, a 1997 18" that I do all my cooking on, and a 2018 18" still in a box.

I have a 2018 22" still in a box.

Since I write and photograph articles about the WSM, I like to keep several around that are new and unusued...they make for good photos.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    Since I write and photograph articles about the WSM, I like to keep several around that are new and unusued...they make for good photos.
    I was just about to ask why you had so many still in box. Good to know!
    -Brian
    18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 18.5" OTG-ish (Modified from OTS)

TVWBB Pro
    I was rereading my post and it made me laugh.. maybe a bit over dramatic but I had just had the center insert fall into the pile of coal causing an ash cloud that got my boxers in a twist

All in all it really is a great grill. That is the only complaint I can come up with. I wish that there was an option from Weber for me to buy a grate that doesn't have that cutout. It's annoying. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that feels that way!
    I used some stainless steel artistic wire and secured the insert to the rest of the grate. Not permanent in case I change my mind for some reason, but allows for me to remove the grate as usual without worrying about the cutout.
    Brew-B-Q Competition BBQ Team (retired)
    WSC, Hunsaker Vortex Drum, Saber SS670, Q200

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526