Grilling some steaks on my first rehab

Jayde

A few weeks ago I had bought a '97 Genesis 1000 off CL for $60. I wanted a Weber, but I am cheap - $500+ just was not in my budget. I found this site and y'all gave me the courage to rehab me a grill. There was minimal rust on the frame, and the firebox and burner tubes were in great condition, so home she came.

It took me a few weeks to get the work done (the Hubbs and I have been finally finishing our Dive Master Cert), but tonight she was complete enough to cook on!

From the CL ad:

Starting the rehab. No newspaper to be found, so Christmas paper had to do.

Paint is almost done! It took 2 weekends to sand/paint because of the heat. By noon it was pushing 90˚ (where did Spring go?!?)
[/URL

Reassembled! I still need to replace the Flavor Bars, but the ones that came with the grill will do for a few weeks. I want to change from Durawood to real wood, and I am working with a local fabricator to have new Z-Brackets made. I found some new grates on CL for $35. They are the discontinued PCI grates and are much more heavy duty than what HD sells.
[URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/jayde323/media/20150419_165812_zps15nkxybv.jpg.html]

The Hubbs insisted on firing her up for the first time and she worked beautifully! Pretty soon the steaks and veggies were on and I cracked a celebratory beer!

Sorry, no post-grill food pics. We were famished!

Thank you all for your amazing advise that I have learned reading through these posts!

-Jayde

Great job! I keep reading these post and I always find myself on Craigslist looking. I don't need a grill I just want to fix them up.
Enjoy!

Jayde,
Beautiful rehab, and great first cook by you and Hubbs!
My only request is next time post over in the Photo Gallery, you'll get more well deserved looks there.

Looks great!

I have to ask, was using the mouse sander a success? I've got a wire brush, a Dremel and a mouse. I used the mouse with 120 paper a bit today on mine and made a little progress, but I'm not sure I could do the whole thing. And what paint did you use?

Looks great!

I have to ask, was using the mouse sander a success? I've got a wire brush, a Dremel and a mouse. I used the mouse with 120 paper a bit today on mine and made a little progress, but I'm not sure I could do the whole thing. And what paint did you use?

It was the last thing I used after using a scraper where there was only a few rough spots left. I started with 60 grit and went up to 220. I found wrapping the paper over the edge and using the edge to apply more pressure worked great. I was able to get a much smoother surface. Wearing a mask is a must, it is a bit messy.

I used Rust-oleum High Heat Ultra in a Semigloss. I used it on both the frame and firebox. It took about 2 cans and lots of thin coats.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words!

-Jayde

Nice job! I have the same grill I bought new and rehabbed 5 years ago. Still cooks like new.
S1031895_zps3hh7pejx.jpg

Excellent inspiration for those of us with newly-acquired older Webers!

I kind of like the Christmas paper approach, it probably felt like a great present when you were able to "unwrap" it!!

A few weeks ago I picked up a 1200 natural gas off of a local classified for $40.00.........I can't seem to find the "before" pic I had but it was in similar shape to the OPs. Plus the flavour bars and cross-fire tube were in rough shape. Well tore it down and did a full restore and refinish like the OP plus new tubes, bars and CI grates and a Weber cover and I've got a keeper. Total cost out the door was about $300 by the time it was all said and done but that's a lot less than $1000 for a new Genesis and personally I think Weber made better grills back in the day than they do today just IMHO of course ;)

7CF97B7E-79B3-4E84-8D8A-73C7CB541D5D_zps8ruthzgu.jpg

F7BCA6DF-DF7B-4D3D-9B23-9C7249F95FAA_zpsllsdkq2k.jpg

B905DDDC-5623-48EE-94B8-B4BD84F75F58_zpsxub9skmy.jpg

1A05A981-FA2A-4BA2-ACCF-54110F280836_zpslabsajid.jpg

The Hubbs insisted on firing her up for the first time and she worked beautifully! Pretty soon the steaks and veggies were on and I cracked a celebratory beer!
Congrats Jayde! That's fine restore, celebratory beer well deserved! Nice cook too!

I personally think you're right. And for the $$$ Weber gets now and comparatively low quality of product at the price point I don't think my $$$$ would go there again for brand new. I'm especially disappointed Weber would not step up and do something about the IN WARRANTY rusted fire box on my Summit 450 except wring their hands and say "oh so sorry we don't make that part any more". I'll hang on to my old Weber grills but I doubt I'll ever buy a new one again. Hopefully someone from Weber reads this board. Because truly I am a lost customer.

Back