Reverse Seared NY Strip

Tommy B

TVWBB Pro
Another weekend and another crushing Ole Miss loss... You would think you would get used to losing if you were an Ole Miss fan but I haven't.... Anyways cooked some fabulous steaks!

I started with two .8 lb NY strips. I seasoned with salt and fresh cracked black pepper. I prepared my smokey mountain and smoked the steaks for roughly 45 minutes at 185 degrees. I left on until the internal temp was 115 degrees. I took them off and rested the meat while I cranked up the gas grill. I blasted the gas grill an high and finished the steaks on the grill for 2 minutes each side at 600 degrees. They turned out great.

Thanks for looking!

Interesting cook, never tried doing a steak that way. Sure looks good, going to give it a try.

Looked great Tom, an interesting way of doing it

Interesting cook, never tried doing a steak that way. Sure looks good, going to give it a try.

Do a little reading on the "reverse sear." I will never cook a steak the traditional way again. Especially for a thick steak the traditional way you get a good crust then under the crust steak is well done then a little deeper medium and then the middle medium rare. The reverse sear gives you medium rare finish on the entire inside and finishing the steak on the hot grill still gives you the caramelized crust. Also slow cooking to steak to start just like BBQ gives you a much tender steak. Even with the longer cook meat stays very moist.

Looks fantastic, Tommy. Phenomenal grill marks. I too use the reverse sear method (on my Performer), and get great results. For those that haven't used this method, give it a try.

Back