Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoked Chicken (aka beer in the rear chicken)

That particular one was a bit goofy. My son took the defuser out and put it in the big smoker, so it got hit with direct heat. By the time I discovered the missing defuser, I figured "that should make them crispy" LOL

Ironically, they were tasty on the inside, but the skin was rubber, the wings and drumsticks....YUCK! I normally have more photos, but it's been discouraging and if I took them, I didn't keep them. It's probably been a year since I made a beer can chicken that I liked

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
    Ironically, they were tasty on the inside, but the skin was rubber, the wings and drumsticks....YUCK! I normally have more photos, but it's been discouraging and if I took them, I didn't keep them. It's probably been a year since I made a beer can chicken that I liked
    chuck , you have the tools you need to make good chicken again....forget the low and slow. Chicken likes to be cooked hot and fast. Put a load of charcoal in your WSM....take out the water pan....put the chicken on the top grate....game over.
    Look at some of jim lampe's chicken cooks on the WSM....(that's where I learned it).....you do not need to suffer any longer. Go for it.
    We call it "BAH-b-cue"
    Weber OTG 22.5" - 18.5 WSM - weber smoky joe... (oh,and a Sears gasser)

TVWBB Fan
    Hi Donna!
    Earlier in this thread you mentioned using Tang on your beer butt chicken. How does that work? Do you add it to the rub or is a separate application? I never would have thought of using Tang on my own, but I'd sure like to try it!

Thanks for taking time out of your busy life to answer our questions. I really appreciate that and I'm sure I'm not alone here! linda
    Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done.
    Beautiful blue Weber 22.5 kettle; lovey little Smokey Joe; "MikeyRay" 18.5 WSM

Hi Linda,
    Ah the Tang thing. So Tang is mostly sugar and citric acid. I wouldn't recommend it if you are diabetic or are on a low sugar diet. It is also meant to give the meat a nicer color. So use it if you don't mind your chicken tasting sweet and sour. You can add some to the rub as you prefer and sprinkle on top and let sit for an hour before beer canning it. You can also use Lemontime to give it more of a lemon chicken flavor. You know what I mean? Hope this helps.
    Donna

I should also note that the table sugar burn temp is around 350 degrees. So if you start using a lot of sugar, be aware that you don't go too much beyond 350 or else it will start to burn.

And try Tang Mango flavor for mango flavor chicken. It is delicious.

TVWBB Fan
    Thank you Donna!
    You've given me what I wanted to know. I'm for sure going to try a chicken with Tang very soon. The Tang Mango sounds like a plan.
    Thanks again for your time and advice! linda
    Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done.
    Beautiful blue Weber 22.5 kettle; lovey little Smokey Joe; "MikeyRay" 18.5 WSM

TVWBB Honor Circle Enrico Brandizzi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Fong View Post
    Hi Chuck,
    Left Coast in the house! I love beer can chicken and just finished giving my friend some advice on how to cook beer can chicken on my 14.5 inch WSM (which I absolutely love BTW). It took him a little over 2 hours. So to answer your question, I would use the Joe Mini without any hesitation. My mini is SO consistent. I'd cook it at 275 or maybe 300 with some PBR beer and use Harry's rub and Tang. I'd oil it down a little maybe and remember to spray. I might not use any wood as I feel the chicken tends to get too smokey really fast. I'd cook to 165. I'm sorry. I don't know what a Baby Q or Big Q are. Can you post a pic of it?
    Donna
    When you say "remember to spray" do you mean to spray oil?
    3 WSM 22" - 2 Weber OTG 26" - Ferraboli grill
    BBQ GURU ciber WiFi + DGQ DX2 - KCBS CBJ

Enrico,
    You know I shouldn't have said that. Just oil it down and no spraying. My brain was slipping into brisket, where I spray with water often. There's no need in chicken. My apologies!! Thank you for catching that.

Donna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12