If there WAS such a thing, would you buy it???

Brett Fields

TVWBB Fan
What if there was a replacement bottom WSM bowl from Weber that had no vents punched in to it. Let's say it had only a single one inch hole to accommodate the mount for your favorite ATC fan. (maybe two holes on th 22) Let's say it sold for 50 or 60 bucks. Would you buy it? Personally, I would love such a thing.
I gotta think that there are enough competitors as well as advanced weekenders (like me) who would snap up a limited production run of such a thing.

Sorry, I don't need one. And I think most ATC users would just as soon close the vents on the current bottom and hook up to one of them, instead of buying another bottom. I think it's easier for Weber to make a bottom for everybody and the ATC makers to adapt, than it is for Weber to make 2 different bottoms for the same smoker. I think the smokers have limited sales compared to the kettles already.

If they wanted to come out with a base with a built in ash cleaning system like the kettles do I would be interested in one.

I'm betting the lid and the base are the most expensive part of the smoker and I doubt you'd get Weber to sell them sub $100

Weber won't even make a suitable water pan for the 18.5" wsm, so why would they even think of such a limited demand item? Personally, I like the versatility of being able to open the vents at the cook start or if not using my PartyQ.

If they wanted to come out with a base with a built in ash cleaning system like the kettles do I would be interested in one.

I looked into this. I cut the legs off an 18" and used it to test while redesigning the 18. The problem was there was too much ash for a cook and for the size of the standard one touch system. They weren't interested in making a larger or completely new type of cleaning system.

This stubby bottom is now in my backyard and used as a firepit.

Weber won't even make a suitable water pan for the 18.5" wsm, so why would they even think of such a limited demand item? Personally, I like the versatility of being able to open the vents at the cook start or if not using my PartyQ.

What are the current problems of the water pan? I believe the original intention was for them to have both the larger (14" bowl) water pan and the older shallow pan available to the market. Who knows?

At the time, they were rather short-sighted and fearful of anything new. Seems like the new management is doing the public well.

I'm betting the lid and the base are the most expensive part of the smoker and I doubt you'd get Weber to sell them sub $100

The most expensive part is the center ring. It starts as a flat sheet with the door opening and the holes punched into it. Then it is rolled into the ring and welded. The welds are cleaned up. The next step is to roll the bead for the bowl and the other for the lid. Take a flat piece of card board and cut a square opening into it. Roll it into a cylinder and you will see how it tends to bulge at the opening. The same thing happens with metal.

This is (or at least a few years ago) a very hand labor intensive process. The baking on of the enamel was also a problem because of warping of the ring.

The bowls and lids are stamped out of a disc by the millions on the same old equipment from day one. You'd be surprised at how little they cost.

I would not buy one. It is not difficult to close the vents, plus you would not have the option to cook without an ATC. I do not always use the ATC and I have heard of the ATC's not working.

What are the current problems of the water pan?
The capacity of the pan is great, but the deep shape interferes with the charcoal chamber, especially if you load the chamber to overflowing with charcoal and stick wood chunks on top. It's hard to service the charcoal through the access door because the pan hangs down so low.

The Brinkmann charcoal pan that many use as an alternative water pan has the same capacity, but the wider, shallower shape works much better.

Back