Here's my 4th of July on the 14.5" WSM

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I started by doing a small corned beef brisket flat from Wal-Mart. I prefer the points but wanted to try the flat. Well, the flat came out just fine. I would still choose a point (or better yet, since they are small, TWO points:rolleyes:). The resulting faux Pastrami is flat out delicious. You will save money by buying delicatessen Pastrami but you will NEVER even come close to the succulence of Home Smoked! I used Meathead's recipe for the rub. Lay it on heavy and GO FOR IT!

On the grill and about half way done:

Sliced and ready to go on the buns:

The next day I decided to so some ribs for guests who will be here in a few days. I MUCH prefer to do ribs and pulled pork ahead of the crowd so I can spend time with my guests instead of tending a smoker. Just a quick saucing and re-heat and I am ready to go. After the ribs or pulled pork rest and cool, we vacuum pack in a Food Saver and freeze until needed. There is no loss of quality. I leave the ribs in half racks, sauce, re-heat in the oven until the sauce is set and the meat is ready to serve. Then slice just before serving.

Here are the ribs on the smoker (I take a "three pack", cut the racks in half and smoke on two Brinkman rib racks). Notice how meaty these loin back ribs are from Costco:

Here they are ready to foil:

I have settled on Harry Soo's recipe. Harry is "da man"!

Thanks for watching and

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

A couple of outstanding looking cooks!!! I prefer leftover ribs too over ribs that just came off the smoker!!!

Thanks for the kind words, folks! It has sure been fun working with the "new" Performer:cool:!

Keep on smokin',

Nice looking cooks! i like my 14.5 alot! I also have the brinkman rib racks too,it fits perfect!

Here is a follow up on the "Faux Pastrami":
Yesterday, my wife sliced up some cold pastrami on some good sliced bread, buttered the bread added Swiss cheese and made these on a griddle on the electric range. After they were finished she used "Slawsa" as a condiment. They were absolutely WONDERFUL!

The Slawsa comes in regular and hot. Both are very good!

If you haven't tried smoking one of those small briskets, you might want to try them. Myself, I'll probably not be doing ONE anymore. I will do a minimum of TWO at a time. The Point is my choice. YMMV

Keep on smokin',

Hey Robert, Those cooks look fantastic.:) Did you soak the corned beef at all to reduce the salt? It's way past time for me to smoke some more pastrami.
Scott

S.E. Davis;
I rinsed the briskets and soaked for one hour. Repeat. Repeat and soak overnight (all soaks are refrigerated). To clarify, three soaks total. Then, pat dry, and add rub (I used Meathead's rub for this - homemade, of course).

Downright good stuff!

Keep on smokin',

Last edited:
A couple of days ago I, again, did two of these small (4 lbs.) corned beef flats to make faux pastrami. I saw little need to take additional pictures as they are covered here (didn't want to waste band width for the site).

I used Chris' method, here:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html

This is the rub recipe I used:
3 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
4 to 8 ounces of smoke wood

I smoked them on the 14.5" WSM (one on each rack) until they reached an internal temperature of 170 degrees. I foiled them and returned to the smoker until they reached an internal temperature of 195 degrees. Keeping them in the foil and handling carefully to retain all of the juices. I then wrapped them in a blanket and placed in the cooler for two hours to finish cooking and tenderizing (do NOT open the foil packets). Then we opened the packets to cool them down before placing in the refrigerator.

The next evening my wife, Marilyn, made some wonderful Reuben's: Thin sliced rye bread, buttered and grilled. The Pastrami was sliced very thin across the grain, steamed in a skillet with a collapsible steamer basket, and stacked on the grilled bread. Two very thin slices of an excellent Gouda cheese (top and bottom) with sauerkraut and thousand island dressing. The sandwiches were grilled until the cheese melted.

Absolute "Heaven in your hands"...

Marilyn also had home made potato soup and an excellent salad to finish off. Oh, I nearly forgot - home made bread pudding for dessert.

Fellows and gals - if you haven't smoked corned beef brisket, yet, you really need to try it.

Keep on smokin'

Back