Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weber Style 6434 Stainless Steel Vegetable Basket

Weber Style 6434 Stainless Steel Vegetable Basket

I recently bought a Weber Style 6434 stainless steel vegetable basket. It does a nice job on fruit and veggies on the grill. It looks beautiful before first use, but kind of hard to keep looking that way with use. I resorted to chemical warfare with oven cleaner and got a good result. My wife went with a soaking of Simple Green and lots of elbow grease and completely destroyed a Dobie scrubber and did alright.

My only criticism is that when running your hands over the bottom side, it feels just a bit like a cheese grater...like if you weren't careful, you could shred your skin. You've been warned!

Sorry for the last pic, kind of lame. I grilled a bunch of pineapple chunks, which looked really impressive, before I scooped out most of them and only had a few left for the photo.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...WEIJUW/tvwb-20

I have the same pan and it is great for all kinds of veggies. Perfect for peppers and onions when doing fajitas. I gave up on trying to keep it shiny a while back
    22 1/2 Weber OTG(crimson)(AT), 22 1/2 WSM(AU);22 1/2 Weber OTS(DD); Weber Genesis E-310(DE)

TVWBB Member
    I just got the small version and used it for the first time tonight. I have a large one for fish and stuff, but it takes up the whole kettle. The small one is perfect for side veggie. Used it for chunks of zucchini tonight. Worked great.

For stainless steel get a powdered stainless cleaner and a green 3M Scotchbrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold C View Post
    For stainless steel get a powdered stainless cleaner and a green 3M Scotchbrite.
    Yeah, you're right, Harold. I don't use many green Scotchbrite around the house because of scratching, but it's probably warranted in the case of this basket. Thanks for the reminder!

I use mine for onions mainly. I do half bell peppers on a flat weber topper. Have tried diced potatos in the veggie pan, but I prefer them wrapped in a foil pouch with some diced up onions and bell pepper, seasoned with butter.

The veggie pan is really nice but as mentioned, impossible to keep clean. We find it best to burn off as much residue as possible and provide a quick squirt of grill spray to both the pan and the veggies before using. Veggies never stick, just get some hard to remove burn marks on the pan. Great addition to the arsenal.

TVWBB Member
    Yeah, the green scotchbrite can be used to put a brushed finish on stainless steel. It's definitely abrasive. But, it's not like you'll ever keep a mirror finish on a BBQ cooking utensile. Heck, they are all brushed finishes to start with!

If you really want to go at it, the copper version of the Brillo-like scrubbies will cut through just about anything on stainless steel.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I love mine. Whatever I cant clean off is destined to season the next cook. Its a great tool.
    Too many Webers to list

These are pictures of mine after its first cook last night. The pictures are after scrubbing with Comet powdered cleaner and a blue Scotch pad (did not have any green ones left). As you can see it didn't work very well. It has some baked on grease and a sort of smoke varnish left on it.

So, this morning I hit it with a very strong concentrated cleaner I buy by the gallon to detail my cars. Normally I mix that 12:1 but this time I went 4:1, the max recommend dilution. No dice. Did not make a dent in it. Right now it is soaking in oven cleaner - I will let you all know how it goes.

After trying to clean it last night I figured that I'd use it until it gets really bad and then get another one, it's just $20 bucks. Still it's a pity that it doesn't want to come clean. I've seen stuff like that on my old stainless gasser and I could clean that off.

By the way the vegetables were superb!

Best,

Jose

2014 Performer Platinum - Smokey Joe Silver - 22.5 WSM
    "If it walks, swims or flies I can grill it"

I am thinking of getting one of those. My take on the discoloration is not to sweat it. Just wash it up and accept it as the patina of good grilling.
    2014 Weber Genesis EP-330 (Crimson), 2016 Weber 22.5" Master-Touch (black), Gator Pit custom offset smoker

What Matt said!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast