Crockpot Mississippi Pot Roast

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Do a search for Mississippi Pot Roast and you will get a ton of hits.
And you will find a ton of rave reviews, one I read said:
"This is the best food I have ever eaten in my life!"

With all that, and how crazy the recipe looks, I had to try it!

3.5 lb. chuck roast:
DSCF0211.JPG

One packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix on top:
DSCF0212.JPG

One packet of McCormick Au Jus gravy mix on top of the dressing mix:
DSCF0213.JPG

Topped off with one stick of unsalted butter:
(note, all the recipes call for 5 Peperoncinis, but I used onion, peppers are a no go for my Jo)
DSCF0216.JPG

DSCF0217.JPG

8 hrs. in the slow cooker set on low:
DSCF0219.JPG

I strained the juices into a separator, and had this much fat:
DSCF0220.JPG

Then I added a little water, and made gravy from the au jus.
DSCF0223.JPG

As I suspected, it was pretty rich, and a bit salty.
But it did taste very good.
Jo and I agreed, it was not really any better than my normal way, which is simply:
carrots, potatoes, onions, roast, and beef broth.

My thoughts are that many of these bloggers, and most of their readers, are not really cooks.
But it could be better if you shred the beef, put it on a roll, and use the defatted au jus for a dip.

Very nice looking pot roast. For someone to say that a meal is the best they ever had and it was cooked in a crock pot must not have very much variety and not a very good cook. how do you like those liners?

I'm reading this pretty close to suppertime, Bob , and I have to say I'd dive into that plate face first. I love a pot roast and I think the slow cooker does a super job. I would have thought the ranch dressing would have tweaked the flavor pretty severely , but you don't really think it added that much?
I'll have to try this sometime , though , because yours looks REALLY good.

John,
Since I'm the chief cook, and bottle washer, I like the liners, even though they're not cheap.

Frank,
All I can say is that it was pretty rich.
I do think that a can of low sodium beef broth added to the juices would make a whole lot of great tasting au jus.
There was about 1.5 cups of juice after defatting.

Nice cook Bob; I haven't used my crockpot in 10 years and wonder why it's front and center of one of my cupboards. Still not tempted to pull it out just yet, but your pot roast looks tasty!

Bob, it LOOKS good, but I will have to agree with you, I think we can make the same meal, if not superior, with the spices in our pantry, personally I find all of the French bouillon cubes way to salty, so we save all of our drippings, be it bacon, chicken, beef or lamb to make our jus and gravies.

Also, we love our Crock Pot, we both leave the house at 6 AM and return after 5 PM so there are many nights we are just too tired to cook, but our faithful Crock Pot has dinner waiting for us, ...incidentally, talking about Crock Pots and turkey day, we make a fantastic dressing in it.

Karl

very nice pictures Bob:)
butt when it comes to pot roast, umm... well, i'd rather eet a tube steak.

pot roast just ain't one of those things I dig...
I mean to say, it all smells swell and all, butt I can't relate to it too well.

butt your pictures are very nice:eek:

That does look mighty tasty Bob! And you are right about those liners. They are expensive
but to me they are worth the money. I hate scraping the crockpot to get it cleaned. I may
try this recipe but I think I would rather put the normal stew veggies with it. Did the dressing
and dry au jus make it real salty? I didn't see anything else that I could pinpoint as the
culprit. Awesome photos as always!

You're a brave man Mr. Correll and an honest one. Gotta try these dishes from time to time otherwise we would never know. Thanks for the report. Great Photos.

I have never heard of Mississippi Pot Roast before you posted this Bob, but I would be willing to give it a try. It is just quirky
enough to make it interesting.

Looks super Bob!! My wife had been trying to get me to make this recipe..I always revert back to a Paula Dean pot roast recipe myself..good looking comfort food right there!!

I have to agree with you Bob, ok. not great, and would rather have a good old fashion pot roast any day rather than that one. I tried this a few months ago after hearing a few of my Mississippi friends talk about it.......It didn't go into my "to do again" cookbook.....................d

What made you not like it any better than your old way? It looks like it would have some flavor with the dry mixes added

I usually do ours with a mix of cream of mushroom soup and mix it with some red wine for a light sauce. Add carrots and potatoes and some onion slices and stew away.

Yours came out really good looking though!!

That still looks like a million $$$. We(read emilie) did a pork neck in a pot on the grill with the humble Carrots/onion/plums + spices + a splash of water. 3 hours later you have Pullable Pork with an awesome sauce to go with it. Easy yet so delish.(pic´s turned out pretty so so so i will post it another try)

In a slow cooker or on the grill, shredded meat or whole piece, you cook everything perfectly from my perspective.
Super looking autumn goodies, Bob!

I have to agree with you Bob, ok. not great, and would rather have a good old fashion pot roast any day rather than that one. I tried this a few months ago after hearing a few of my Mississippi friends talk about it.......It didn't go into my "to do again" cookbook.....................d

i wonder maybe the whole stick of butter might be too much? Maybe half a stick and add a little LS beef-broth like bob was saying. I love the idea of this anyway.

Back