Tri Tip cooked like a brisket Dueling Bubba's style

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Almost 3 years ago to the day I said in this thread that I wanted to try this method.
Yesterday was the day.

They call for 7 fist size pieces of various woods, I did my best with cherry, oak, apple, and oak.
IMGP0679.JPG

3 lb. tri tip trimmed of most of its fat.
Mustard applied, as per recipe, but I used Weber's Steak 'n Chop instead of their recipe.
(the pan has the fat trims to render)
IMGP0681.JPG

1 chimney of fully lit, 1/2 chimney of unlit on top, close, add the wood, and let burn for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, time to sample the 'sauce' Jim L sent me in return for the bbq sauce I had sent him.
Good stuff!
IMGP0685.JPG

The DB's say to keep the grate temp at 240, but I knew my leaky old WSM couldn't do that, even with water in the pan, so I let her run 260.
The meat hit 160 after about 1.5 hrs.
IMGP0686.JPG

Time to foil, brushed with a mix of 1/4 cup bbq sauce and 2 TBS apple juice.
IMGP0688.JPG

Added some mushrooms, dipped in the rendered beef fat, and seasoned.
Waiting for the meat to get probe tender.
IMGP0693.JPG

Done after about 3.5 hrs. total.
IMGP0696.JPG

Didn't get the smoke ring I wanted.
I think because the smaller chunks of wood burned up too fast, along with the higher cook temp.
IMGP0697.JPG

Side salad not shown, but here's my plate, with Au Jus from the foil:
IMGP0703.JPG

This received a rare 'excellent' from Jo Anne, I'll give it a very good.
Tender as all get out, but a tad dry.
Personally, I can't see it being any other way than a tad dry since tri tips are so lean, but maybe a Prime grade would do better.

I plan to adapt this to the kettle, since to me this is too small and short of a cook to mess up a clean WSM.

Thanks for the visit!

Last edited:
Looks delicious to me Bob! I may have to give this a shot on
the Performer. But am afraid of it drying out going to 195 or
probe tender. I normally just take a tri to 135. Maybe injecting
or a longer brine. Guess it gives me something to do to stay out of
trouble. ;)

Thanks everyone!

Mike, I've always cooked them to 130-135 too, and they're always great.
But the Dueling Bubbas have apparently won many tri tip comps cooking them this way.
It was very brisket-like in texture, taste, and tenderness.
At $3.99/lb it was not much of a gamble.:)

I gotta try this long cook method just to see for myself. I've always done tri-tip hot and fast, the conventional way.
Your cook came out looking darn good!

Cooking a tri tip this way has been on my mind as well. I'm sure my Wife would really like it since she doesn't like to eat beef with much red in it. Thanks for the write up, now i have more info on what to expect if I ever decide to try this.

Never seen tri tip in my meat market, Bob, but I'm gonna ask the butcher if they ever can get some and I plan to try this method of cooking them. Glad that Jo Anne gave them the excellent rating!:) Fantastic photos as well!!

Great post. I've been curous about this since seeing it on Pitmasters. If it was dry try cooking it at a higher temp.

Bob, you are THEE One & Only Master of Pork Steaks... certainly a Champion of Chuck Eyes... and with all your cooks involving this much sought after cut of beef, you absolutely are quickly becoming Thee King of the Tri Tip!

You Rock!
smiley-gen053.gif

I'd love to get a Tri for $3.99lb. Down here I've seen it once on SALE for $5.99lb. Only cooked one, but we loved it. Cooked it to 125 and let rest. It was perfect. It was good enough to get my wife to start coming off her 'beef has to be well done' kick.

I have a two pack of Tri Tips from Costco in the fridge for tomorrow's supper cook which I had planned to do in the Santa Maria style. ...until now. Now, I am second guessing my cook plan. My wife likes med rare. My Mom visiting for the holiday prefers med well. I could do one of each. Decisions decisions.

Back