Tens years of WSM use

Konrad Haskins

R.I.P. 3/23/2014
Wow it's coming up on 10 years of WSM use for me. I still use WSM's for home, teaching and the occasional small group cook. Love the ease of unattended overnight (without a controller.) I've owned a lot of big cookers over that ten years. I used my two Ole Hickories and Jim Minion's one to cook lunch for 5,000 soldiers.

I've always taken a fairly low fuss approach to WSM's, for years I used water in stainless salad bowels. Never did the sand thing. In search of higher temps I've gone to putting a disposable hotel pan in the water pan dry and multiple layers of foil. Water free for two years now, Works great. I also do a lot of reverse sear grilling with my WSMs. Smoke first, then lift off the body and put the top grate right on the fire ring for grilling. Works great. Even though I still have two of my all original 2002 Vintage WSM's I prefer the capacity of the 22". I have cooked a dozen racks of spares on an 18" so it can work but I like surface area. I also do a lot of fire ring grilling and for that the 22" is KING!

I'm still happy to compete with WSM's and did last year in Montana with very respectable results. Although if I need a lot of easy to access cooking surface the expensive luxury of my Gator Pit sure is nice. But when I'm cooking at home it's very often a WSM.

My favorite mod is a welding blanket to hold heat in adverse conditions. I know there are many ways to do this. But a welding blanket is a solution that fits a lot of different cookers I own.

As always Thanks to Chris for all he does. I still heavily promote this website as the best on the web.

'Que on (o8

Happy 10th!

For me, hands down the WSM is the all around king of smokers. Between my 22.5 WSM and this sites knowledge and advice, I am looking forward to some great cooks!

Thank you Konrad. It's always good to hear from BBQ heavyweights like yourself who've cooked on many different pits say the WSM cranks out Q that tastes just as good a stuff cooked on a $10,000 pit.

I'm going on 10 days myself (just got one)

18.5" is the perfect size for me as I usually just smoke for my family of four with occasional parties. Gotta love those leftovers. Owning a weber kettle grill over the past 15+ years has shown me how well they are built though.

12 years now on the OTG with no problems. Weber makes quality products. Just hope my 3 year old WSM holds up aas well.

Ben

I guess my WSM is about 10 years old. I know my 18-1/2 kettle is well over 30, and still cooking away.

EDIT: I ran across the email from Amazon when I bought the WSM, in December 2003. So, only 8 years, not 10.

I just cleared 9 years on my model 2820 (18.5"). Pulled up my Amazon receipt for $179 on April 27, 2003. Boy, prices have changed.

Wow, there's a name I recognize! It's Teddy Bear of BBQ competition fame!

My hubby and I met you when we volunteered to help out a competitor at a Regional cooking event, probably about 2001 or 2002, which was held on the Red Hook grounds in Woodinville, WA. You were just down the aisle from us, we were right next to Amy Anderson's rig. Gosh, at the moment I can't remember the name of the guy we helped, the son of a father/son team from Oregon, who were huge Oregon Ducks fans. The son been on this forum, mentioned the event and asked for help cuz his dad couldn't make it. We live just a few miles north, and volunteered to do whatever we could. It was so much fun and we learned a bit from just being able to watch.

Anyway, we got to have some little tastes at your Easy Up! We'll never forget it, some of the best BBQ we've ever had!

Really great to read about all of your success!

Keep on Smokin!
Connie

Back