Redneck Caviar

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
This is not my recipe. You can Google it, but I got it from Bob Correll.

OMG, this is sooooo goooood!
Try adding some sort of heat (pepper, hot sauce, hot Rotel).

2 cans black eyed peas, drained
2 cans shoe peg corn, drained
2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes, drained
2 lg bell peppers, chopped
1 can black beans, drained
12 sm. green onions, chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp parsley flakes
16 oz bottle Zesty Italian Dressing

How to make it
Mix peas, beans, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes with garlic salt, garlic powder, parsley flakes and Italian dressing.
Refrigerate at least 12 hours before serving. Serve with Frito or Tostitos Scoops.

This stuff is killer good and good on anything. We use it as an appetizer with chips, cold side dish with entrees, and a topping for salad.

Great stuff.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is not my recipe. You can Google it, but I got it from Bob Correll.

OMG, this is sooooo goooood!
Try adding some sort of heat (pepper, hot sauce, hot Rotel).

2 cans black eyed peas, drained
2 cans shoe peg corn, drained
2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes, drained
2 lg bell peppers, chopped
1 can black beans, drained
12 sm. green onions, chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp parsley flakes
16 oz bottle Zesty Italian Dressing

How to make it
Mix peas, beans, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes with garlic salt, garlic powder, parsley flakes and Italian dressing.
Refrigerate at least 12 hours before serving. Serve with Frito or Tostitos Scoops. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

saw this in action in the photo forum.......this is going to make a debut at my house on XMAS EVE!!!!

thanks!

Although we are said to have rednecks around here, I am at a loss for what is "shoe peg" corn.

Can you please enlighten a naive northerner ?
icon_biggrin.gif

Bumping up since I just made a batch, and can't stop eating it!
Didn't have everything needed, even used a can of drained green peas instead of black-eyed.
It's pretty much an add what you have, or what you like dish.
I had forgotten how good this stuff is.

ps, this did not come up on a tvwbb search, maybe because it was originally posted on the old forum??

Reminds me of a dish back home called Texas Caviar

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 to 4 shakes hot red pepper sauce
2 (15.8 ounce) cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed well

I gotta admit the Redneck version sounds better!

Bumping up since I just made a batch, and can't stop eating it!
Didn't have everything needed, even used a can of drained green peas instead of black-eyed.
It's pretty much an add what you have, or what you like dish.
I had forgotten how good this stuff is.

ps, this did not come up on a tvwbb search, maybe because it was originally posted on the old forum??
Thanks for the bump Bob. So that's why I can't pull up old threads. :(

I'm making this again soon, thought it could use a bump.
Served cold with tortilla chips it makes a great summertime bbq side dish or appetizer.
Many recipes call for some fresh (gag me) cilantro.
Pintos can be used instead of black eyed peas if you have any BEP haters.

I made something years ago that I've tried to recreate many times - this looks like a new/better base for me to start on.

I think I'd most likely use Wishbone Italian dressing.

Sometimes, I'm skeptical with new recipes, but I have to admit, Red Neck Caviar is some pretty good stuff. We made our first batch this week, and friends & family went nuts over it. Some topped it with sour cream for an even better experience. I put some in a garden salad last night, and I can see this as a topping for tacos.

This one has always been a hit ( as written) but yesterday for some reason Jewel was out of canned BEP's.
I subbed garbanzos ( chick peas) rinsed ,drained and tossed with EVO, salt and into a 425 oven till browned. ( great snack food BTW)
Came out PDG!

Tim

This one has always been a hit ( as written) but yesterday for some reason Jewel was out of canned BEP's.
I subbed garbanzos ( chick peas) rinsed ,drained and tossed with EVO, salt and into a 425 oven till browned. ( great snack food BTW)
Came out PDG!

Tim

Thanks, Tim!

I'll have to try garbanzos next time.

Thanks for the bump Tim.
Another one of those things I forget about making.
This and gazpacho are on my summer to do list when good tomatoes get here.
I don't blend my gazpacho, I like it chunky.

Back