Favorite BBQ sauce

Luis L.

Banned
My favorite sauce is Head Country hot. Man that stuff is good. I've been hearing great things about the Blues Hog, that should be my next buy.

What is your favorite BBQ sauce?

this one(if I dont feel like cooking up some of my own
icon_wink.gif
)

My two favorites are Cowtowns Night of the Living BBQ Sauce(its spicy with a great flavor, you can get it at originaljuans.com), and Gates original.

I love me some Blues Hog sauce!!
Get the Tennessee Red for your PP sammies, The Honey Mustard for chicken, and Original for anything.

Have to go with KC masterpeice original. But the Blues Hog is one great sauce and gives a Fantastic shine to the meat as a glaze.

KC Masterpiece Original for Steak and Beef.

Stubbs Original for Pork.

My fav for Pulled Pork and Chicken is a finishing sauce I make with 2 parts Sweet Baby Rays + 2 parts Apple Juice + 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar.

KC Masterpiece is my favorite...particularly for ribs. My wife likes Stubbs so we have that around the house too. I like it too but in a spicy (instead of sweet) way. Great on pulled pork sammiches.

I generally fool around with the #5 recipe until I'm happy. Generally, I back off the vinegar amount (or add ketchup) and add a little more rub until I'm satisfied with the flavor.......LOVE THAT RECIPE!!

I can't stand Blues Hog. I'm likely in the minority. I don't much care for commercial sauces and never buy them; the ones I try or those people send to me to clone. I find commercial sauces either overcooked, redolent of cheap ingredients, or too sweet. In the case of Blues Hog it's all of the above.

First, thanks for putting this thread together. We're all sure to have differing opinions but it has given me some sauces to try. Particularly Blues Hog and Stubbs, which both seem to be favorites on this board.

But, generally speaking, I'm with Kevin on this one. I cannot stand most commercial sauces, particularly KC Masterpiece. They are way too sweet for me and just taste poorly made, IMHO.

That #5 sure has been good to me. It's a great base to work from and invent your own concoction. Went over very well recently for me. Even had one guy say "if you entered this in a comp it would win you something". I don't think I agree with that, but when someone tells you that, and your 11 year old can't stop eating your cornbread doused in the sauce...you can't help but smile!

Salud

I don't buy BBQ saucses hardly at all. Maybe if I'm going to mix them with something but rare. Not that I find them all totally offensive although they are often too sweet for my taste. I just like mine better. Also like using books for samples to try.

I know a lot of people like the ones you can buy and I figure there are some that are pretty good. I do try some time to time that are recommended here. Just haven't stuck with any.

I usually make my own sauce but if I need something quick and I'm out of mine I go with this sauce. Only use the original and I'll add to it depending on what I'm looking for.

i must be in the minority. i was not impressed with Blue's Hog at all. i do however like the Head Country Original or Hickory flavors. but since i am on a sugar restricted lifestyle i make my own. KC Masterpiece used to make a low cal/carb sauce that was very good but discontinued it
icon_frown.gif

edit...
i just saw kevin's post and agree to the all of the above.

My local favoite which you can get from Hawgeye Mikes is Pee Dee River Swamp Sauce, not too sweet or vinigary. I also like to make Fat Johhnys Bastarized sauce!!!
bEN

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I find commercial sauces either overcooked, redolent of cheap ingredients, or too sweet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But how do you really feel?
icon_wink.gif

I agree, so I make my own as well. It's easy to do -- I make a batch at a time and bottle a few pints.

I must've posted to the wrong thread. I thought the topic was, "What's your favorite sauce?" Not a, "Let's slam the sauces we don't like!" thread.
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
I must've posted to the wrong thread. I thought the topic was, "What's your favorite sauce?" Not a, "Let's slam the sauces we don't like!" thread.
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so should we start a "my least favorite BBQ sauce" thread? i was just stating my opinion. sorry to have offended you.

Like a lot of folks here, there aren't a lot of commercial sauces that I like. I think Gates originial is pretty decent.

I'm a big fan of Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont sauce on pulled pork though. And I need to try the #5 sauce.

Back