Sam's Club or Costco? Which has the better meat prices and quality?

Karl K.

TVWBB Fan
If you were looking at getting a membership at either Costco or Sam's Club, which would you do? I've got a Costco that's only about 2 miles away and a Sam's that's about 8 miles away (but also has several locations more than Costco). I understand that both don't inject their meats so that's good. Just not sure whether their prices are that much better over local supermarkets that it justifies the cost.

I haven't been to Sam's to compare, but have been pleased with the pork butt and brisket I have purchased at Costco. If you use Kingsford charcoal, Costco's price of just under $10 for 2 24 pound bags is hard to beat. Just wish they'd carry charcoal year round. Lesson learned--stock up next summer before they put it away for fall/winter.

I think I would visit both places and check stuff out prior to joining either.

Was just at Sams the other weekend looking things over. Our membership expired a year ago and we were thinking about joining again. Put it off for a while longer.

They both have their good points.
I like Costco's ribs better.
Sams' Club has bone-in butts (which I like) instead of the boneless butts at Costco.
My local Costco doesn't have brisket & Sam's has choice grade flats & packers.
I have memberships to both.

I go to Costcos, love their meat. No bone in butts, only see brisket flats. We get this large hunk of beef there called a Whole tip roast if I remember right. They are great to smoke. Take off @ 150 and foil, let rest for an hour or so, put it on the slicer against the grain for sammies. Their steaks are great when we get them. (NY steaks) We have charcoal year round at ours.
That being said....we are going to a place called BJ's this month when our membership expries. Inlaws gave us a free membership there. They seem to have good meats there also, and the famous "Chuck Roll" that people here seem to love. Havent done one yet. I may just renew the Costcos one if I am not real happy with the BJ's meat after a few tries. So after all that rambling, I can't answer your question because I never went to a Sams club lol. But, like I said, I love the Costcos meats.

For us, the warehouse clubs are worth the $$$. (Long time Sams Business membership; Costco and BJ's opened later, Bride preferred BJ's; I liked Costco's significant difference in products, BJ's won due to closeness.)

You can occaisionally find various items on sale in other stores cheaper than the warehouse clubs regular price, but not often. Warehouse clubs also try to serve small business so the packaging is generally larger. You can purchase most bulk spices (somewhere around 1 pint to 1 quart container) for nearly the same price as the tiny bottles in the grocery store.

I have memberships at both and find they both have their advantages. Ability to buy non-enhanced meat, Sam's carrying Kingsford year round, carrying cuts of meat like Chuck Roll, better selection of BBQ sauces and spices at Costco, etc.

For me the cost of membership to both is well worth it.

I belong to both and each has their advantages and disadvatages as people have pointed out (although I prefer Sam's even though it farther away).

My closest Costco is the only Business Costco. which specializes in items for small businesses. No ready-to-wear clothes, toys, sports equipment, or cut meats. All meat is cryovaced, there is a huge resturant supply section with prices better than our Restaurant Supply stores plus it is always less crowded than a regular Costco. It's pretty much the only Costco that I shop now. (But it's not open Sunday's or early to business members like Sam's or regular Coscto).

Karl,

I lve in an area that only has Sam's Club. I am very happy with them. As others have said, they carry Kingsford charcoal year round - and the local price here in about $11 for two 24 lb bags of Kingsford.

Good luck,

Ray

I have always used my local Sams. Good prices and quality on Butts, Briskets, Chuck Roll, Ribs, Prime Rib. When the new Costco opened I took a tour. I asked the butcher if he had any Pork shoulders, he said yeah and pointed at the country ribs. No, I mean the boston butt. Um, I dont think so. After looking around further at things I go to Sams for and comparing, I'm sticking with Sam's.

Todd:

Costco sends all of their Kingsford to us in Hawaii when ya'll are knee-deep in the white stuff.

I guess I should be thankin' ya'll for yer generosity...(DUCKING)
icon_biggrin.gif

All kiddin' aside... Can't compare myself...only have Costco here, next to our institutional food service folks.

Mark
icon_cool.gif

Yeah, real cute Mark
icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm sure my father-in-law is helping you use it up as well as he's building a house in Hawaii as well.
Enjoy it while you can, as I won't make the same mistake at the end of summer this year. You may want to start stocking up now as it will be slim pickin's this time next year!
icon_cool.gif

I have memberships to both, and use them both for different things. Like others said, Costco has boneless pork shoulders, Sam's has bone-in (which I prefer for most smokes). The other difference is that Costco's cryovacs of ribs (spares anyway) comes in 2 packs, Sam's comes in 3. I think the quality is about the same, I've never had a problem with any of Costco's Kirkland Signature stuff.

BTW-I'm sure I've seen charcoal at Costco year round as well as Sam's, they just don't keep as much on hand (they move it to the back of the store). And the Kingsford prices are very similar at both for the 2-24lb bags (around $10.50).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Karl K.:
If you were looking at getting a membership at either Costco or Sam's Club, which would you do? I've got a Costco that's only about 2 miles away and a Sam's that's about 8 miles away (but also has several locations more than Costco). I understand that both don't inject their meats so that's good. Just not sure whether their prices are that much better over local supermarkets that it justifies the cost. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sort of thinking aloud here Karl, if you can justify it perhaps try for both. You can hit the specials at either that way.

Over time employees come and go, they change packaging and processes, techniques and prices trying to provide what their customers want and balance that with the business goal of making money. To top it off every animal is unique (but could taste the same as the one before it through the slaughterhouse
icon_smile.gif
).

I buy my briskets at out local Super Wal Mart..last Thursday I purchased four butts, and two briskets, smoked them over the weekend and don't have a morsel left.
We were invited to a Super Bowl party and that was our contribution...I came home with empty containers only.
Friday is my husband's birthday and I have to feed 45 of my husbands family members.
I purchased three 8 lb pork butts today, and one 9lb brisket....the pork butts I bought at Wal Mart, they were out of brisket so I had to go to Sam's club...ouch on the price...I paid 20$ for a 9 lb....I am ashamed of myself for paying that as Wal Mart's price for a 12 lb last week was 13$....Wal Mart will be getting more briskets but not until later this week....and today is my only day off...
Guess I'll do some turkey too...as 45 people can eat alot of food..

Hi Nature Dawn, and welcome to the bulletin board!

One small point...We use real names here on the bulletin board. Please read this topic about display name.

If you have any questions or concerns, please click "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page and send me an e-mail.

Thanks for your attention to this matter,
Chris

The answer here is simple. Beef at Sam's has a liquid solution added to it which is pure BS. Costco has no such additive.

Read the label.

are you saying all their beef products? i dont agree..i buy alot of beef from Sams and have not run into what you are stating about additives
as far as which store is better? I like Sams for meat and charcoal (all year round availability on KIngsford) and Costco for non food merchandise

Back