checking the water on an 18" WSM

By looking ;) ? Really, water is only there to help moderate the temps. If your temps are stable, fuggedaboutit.

When I used to use water (and that was years ago) I never needed to add (on a 6-7 hr smoke).

By looking ;) ? Really, water is only there to help moderate the temps. If your temps are stable, fuggedaboutit.

When I used to use water (and that was years ago) I never needed to add (on a 6-7 hr smoke).

Just start with really hot water. If you start with cold tap water you will have to heat the water before you can get any heat on the meat. And with a minion start, that could take quite a while, like hours.

Here's my detailed article on using water in the water pan: http://virtualweberbullet.com/using-a-water-pan-in-weber-smokers.html

Assuming you start with a full pan of water, you should check every two hours by opening the access door and taking a peek at the water level. If you're cooking at night, you'll need a flashlight. Keep in mind that the pan will be catching grease during the cook, so what you see in the pan is a combination of water with grease floating on top. If the level looks low, add some water using any of the containers mentioned in the article. But don't fill to the top, you want to leave room for the pan to continue to catch grease.

As a general rule, I use water whenever I'm cooking low & slow using the Minion Method. Sometimes I need to add water, sometimes I don't, it just depends. Not only does the water help with temperature control, but the steam creates a moist environment that helps with smoke ring formation.

I suppose if you use water, Chris’s information is the opinion to take to heart as a new smoker. Personally, after reading this forum for a few months prior to my purchase, I have simply not used water, ever, not once. My brother screams and stamped his foot about using water (until he went to a pellet pooper, traitor) he even made a “drill powered” water pump to refill his pan, I would have done something less involved, like a piece of copper or stainless pipe and a funnel but, he went to college, I sold guitars.
I do use a terra-cotta flowerpot saucer, foil wrapped resting in the pan which is also foil wrapped. Easy cleanup even.

Here's my detailed article on using water in the water pan: http://virtualweberbullet.com/using-a-water-pan-in-weber-smokers.html

Assuming you start with a full pan of water, you should check every two hours by opening the access door and taking a peek at the water level. If you're cooking at night, you'll need a flashlight. Keep in mind that the pan will be catching grease during the cook, so what you see in the pan is a combination of water with grease floating on top. If the level looks low, add some water using any of the containers mentioned in the article. But don't fill to the top, you want to leave room for the pan to continue to catch grease.

As a general rule, I use water whenever I'm cooking low & slow using the Minion Method. Sometimes I need to add water, sometimes I don't, it just depends. Not only does the water help with temperature control, but the steam creates a moist environment that helps with smoke ring formation.

I always cook low and slow in the WSM. If I need to go hotter, I use the Kettle. I took your advice about water when I first joined TVWBB 12 years ago, and never looked back. As a Engineer, Science nut, and Technologist, water is the only thing that makes sense to my inner-nerd. :)

A few bullet points on water:
* helps keep temp down
* provides moist environment
Negatives:
* as an energy sink, it requires more fuel for a cook
* bark is affected by moisture (in my mind negatively)
* cooks can take longer
* you has a mess to clean

So for better bark, simpler operations...I go waterless

Back