Non Stick Skillet

Fred B.

Can anyone recommend a good non-stick skillet? I have a set of Calphalon cookware that's several years old. It worked great for awhile. But now the surface is discolored and everything sticks. I followed all the directions as to how to clean it and what not to use on it, but they are almost unusable. I tried Barkeepers Friend as recommended but no good. Who makes a real non-stick skillet?
Fred B.

Fred, from New Joisey, welcome to the group! :) Ex-Lon Glainder here.

I've had this skillet that Cook's Illustrated recommended for about 5 years and have been over-the-top happy with it. I love the sloping sides that make it just right for tossing/flipping maneuvers. I use it almost daily. I hope these links work for you.

T-fal Professional Non-Stick Fry Pan, 12.5 inches

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equ...?ref=new_search_experience_1&incode=MCSCD00L0

There's an update on the skillet:
Update: July 2013
When we tested nonstick skillets, T-fal informed us that the winning skillet was rated as oven-safe to 450 F, which we printed in our story and followed in our recipe development since that time, with no problems. However, the company now lists this pan as oven-safe to 350 F. We checked back with T-fal, and learned that the maximum temperature T-fal recommends for using this pan in the oven is 410 F. Beyond 410 F, the silicone handle may be damaged, and may crack, change color, or emit odors, although it will not melt. The company reports that there is no health hazard if the handle is heated above 410 F, but that the handle will become more fragile.

I just wrap the handle in aluminum foil for protection and have never had a problem.

I just bought a second one in case they get crazy and "improve" it. For the price it's a steel....er,....steal! Check out Amazon, but surprisingly, I found one at a Kroger supermarket for $5 less.

For the price you can't beat it. Here is another link that might help.

Regarding your Calphalon, check in with the company about your nonstick not nonsticking. I was told that it might be a buildup and to scrub, not with BarKeepers, but with a plastic mesh soap pad (I use Chore Boy) to remove it. I've found that with nonstick cookware, a light brush to remove food particles just doesn't do the job. A little, really little, elbow grease each time you use it helps a lot.

Last edited:
Regarding the nonskid handle of the 12" nonstick skillet, I simply crush 2 sheets of foil tightly around it before putting it in an oven higher than 350° and haven't yet had a problem after at least 3 years, maybe 4. I find it quite stable in my grip.

I have an issue with the thin, narrow All-Clad handles, which twist in my grip on the larger skillets and threaten to spill the contents out of the sides of the pan.

I second the recommendation from Rita. I have had several different non-stick skillets, and the T-Fal has been the best for me so far.

Years ago (probably 8 or 9), I was in charge of a big breakfast that my church's men's group did for Mother's Day. Someone else came up with the menu and wanted omelets to order. For 120. Yeah, it was a hectic morning. Anyhoo, knowing that the church's cookware was limited to baking sheets and gigantic (4-5 gallon) stock pots, I went to the local restaurant supply place and picked up 4 thick aluminum, teflon coated pans dubbed "commercial grade". To this day, I still have them and have used 'em for countless other events at that church, pot luck dinners and scout events. They all have a few nicks and scratches, but they all still refuse to let anything stick. I want to say the brand is Winco, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll check tonight and update my post when I know for sure. I remember them being about $12 each, plus $2 each for rubber grips on the handles.

Here's the one I've got:

Is this it? http://www.wincous.com/search.asp?BigClassName=&SmallClassName=&keyword=10ns&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

200710310422536419.jpg

Yup, that's it. Only the handle grips I have are black. The best damn omelet pan I've ever used. Over the years, each of them has probably cooked at least a hundred or so and they're as slick as ever. The only place where the coating is worn is on the rivet heads because I store them stacked so the bottom of the pan rubs on the rivets of the one beneath it.

They're available at a bunch of online retailers, but if you have a restaurant supply house nearby, they probably carry them or can order them.

Last edited:
I try not to stack nonstick but, if I have to, I place a paper towel"slip sheet" between them. As long as you are careful, nonstick works for years. I have only had real failure when someone else uses my pans and scratches or scours them.

Bon ami is for the outside of the anodized, never use anything on the inside, you can chew through the finish before you know it!
I have a couple of those too Chad, they are great, and if they do fail, easy enough to replace.

Back