You know how some people say the like hot sauce?

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
....I think it's OK.

10346532_10203140025123404_6727845724164483171_n.jpg

I'd send you a bottle but I'm almost out! (I actually WAS out for about a week) This is a case for me, 2 bottles for a friend, plus some new flavors to try.

The Green Hab sauce is surprisingly good! The two on the right are citrus based... one Orange, one Grapefruit. I have some jellies from an earlier order but they really didn't do it for me...guess I don't know what to try them on.

Next time you have a surplus, I'll buy a couple, I'd try the green sauce too. When you have a surplus :)

7094896_orig.jpg

Although you know I make my own sauces (all a varient of habs or scotch bonnets (recently, much milder serranos), this is a local stores partial selection of commercial h.s.. Going up to/in excess of 4 million scovilles.

My habs/s.b. run ~300,000 units whereas the milder serrano's run ~ 20-25,000. Japs in comparison are mere babies coming in around 5,000 units.

I'm finding that the hotter the pepper is, the more I lose the taste of the pepper. The heat occupies all my senses.

Feel inadequate Clint? <elbow in ribs>

Seriously, you can make your own for pennies on the bottle without all the added preservatives and enhancers. My recent creation of serrano sauce used 8 oz of peppers at around $1.50 and I got 12 oz of sauce. Sugar and vinegar add pennies to the final price. Do the math. Shelf life on this one is 3-4-5 months (not that it will last that long ;) ).

Last edited:
I just don't "get" why so many folks like hot sauces. For me the heat just overpowers everything else including the flavor of the meat.
Without the flavor of the meat, why go to the trouble to Q it.

7094896_orig.jpg

Although you know I make my own sauces (all a varient of habs or scotch bonnets (recently, much milder serranos), this is a local stores partial selection of commercial h.s.. Going up to/in excess of 4 million scovilles.

My habs/s.b. run ~300,000 units whereas the milder serrano's run ~ 20-25,000. Japs in comparison are mere babies coming in around 5,000 units.

I'm finding that the hotter the pepper is, the more I lose the taste of the pepper. The heat occupies all my senses.

Feel inadequate Clint? <elbow in ribs>

Seriously, you can make your own for pennies on the bottle without all the added preservatives and enhancers. My recent creation of serrano sauce used 8 oz of peppers at around $1.50 and I got 12 oz of sauce. Sugar and vinegar add pennies to the final price. Do the math. Shelf life on this one is 3-4-5 months (not that it will last that long ;) ).

my 30 second calc told me could make a good bottle for under $5 so "why not".

I figured I'd even try roasted/blackened peppers in a batch. Not sure what I'll try first, I figured onion, carrots (they tame it...I like carrot juice when I try it), vinegar, a variety of peppers including black (fresh ground)...and ????

Don't need black pepper. White vgr but as an alternative, cider vgr. The more vgr (proportionate to total ingredients), the longer the shelf life. Also, salt. I only use sea salt, never table salt.

Storing in the fridge will prolong shelf life but also 'leeches' out the heat. I thought adding fruit would help in the flavour/sweet aspect. Again, hotter peppers tend to overpower the fruit flavour.

Best suggestion I have is to halve or quarter your recipe first time around. I think your $5 cost is at least 3x too high. Remember, most full recipes give you about 1 1/2 to 2C of sauce (12-16 ounces) whereas those itty bitty bottles only have maybe 2 oz.

Last edited:
I just don't "get" why so many folks like hot sauces. For me the heat just overpowers everything else including the flavor of the meat.
Without the flavor of the meat, why go to the trouble to Q it.

I love a little kick. This sauce isn't THAT hot, & the flavor is there (for me). I love roasted peppers and peppers in general. I like vinegar (like mustard etc) sauces. I like heat....so for me, I dunno, I think a bottle lasts around 2 weeks around here. I put it on rice, salads, (not everything) even on my open wounds to help stop the bleeding.

I like to mix a little in with my bbq sauce---a pulled pork sandwich just isn't the same without it. Mustard/Krout/hot sauce is my fav way for a brat. & wings - only once or twice have I used this stuff undiluted in place of Franks for wings---that was a little much.

http://www.wikihow.com/Release-Endorphins

Like Frank's Extra Hot Red Sauce. It's all marketing hype (for some people, it is very hot--wifey says their regular is too hot). Just what you're used to.

Would you guys still use hot sauce stating best by 2010?
2 or 3 years ago I was at a discount grocery and they had bottles of Florida Gold Caribbean hot sauce for 25 cents each.
I had tried it before, son and I really liked it, so I bought a case of 12, then stored it in our spare fridge.
Best I can tell it is no longer being made.
We're still eating it, and it tastes fine, but I wonder how long it will be safe.

Ingredients:
spring water, vinegar, garlic, Florida Habanero peppers, and other exotic herbs and spices.
sodium is only 15mg

vinegar has 0 sodium (tastes salty, I've used it when reducing sodium intake years ago).

I'd probably toss it & get more but if it was refrigerated??? I just found a bottle of Mezzetta Habanero Salsa that expires 5/2011 a few days ago.... I set it out where I can see it... if I don't use it soon, or if it has an off taste I'll throw it out.

Would you guys still use hot sauce stating best by 2010?
2 or 3 years ago I was at a discount grocery and they had bottles of Florida Gold Caribbean hot sauce for 25 cents each.
I had tried it before, son and I really liked it, so I bought a case of 12, then stored it in our spare fridge.
Best I can tell it is no longer being made.
We're still eating it, and it tastes fine, but I wonder how long it will be safe.

Ingredients:
spring water, vinegar, garlic, Florida Habanero peppers, and other exotic herbs and spices.
sodium is only 15mg

Says 5 yrs here. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37940-Ultimate-Shelf-Life-Guide-*****
As long as it still tastes ok I would use it.http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17423

Tim

Last edited:
Clint,

Although I can't take the high heat these days, this was my go-to sauce. Great flavor... for the short while before the heat hits.
Not the highest heat level of the series, but the best tasting.

I think I will start at their mildest level

Edit>>>>>> Bob, I ordered a bottle of the Beyond Insanity. At 135,000 scoville units it's probably at the high end of what I've ever tried - Someone gave me a couple sample packs of Dave's Insanity sauces,,,some were quite tolerable, and others....... not so much!

Last edited:
Thanks Tim!
I couldn't find a hot sauce specific answer when I searched.
One more year, guess we better get to eating it more often.

>>> Bob, I ordered a bottle of the Beyond Insanity.
Kewl ! or should that be... COOL ;) We'll find out shortly...
If you liked Dave's, would highly expect you to really enjoy this sauce. Yummy.
Do suggest, however, that your first try be as small a sample as can be. Like on the tip of a tooth pick.
Expect the heat to last about 20 mins. ;)

Bob

Back