You know how some people say the like hot sauce?

I like that one because of the rum addition. The straining part , I find is difficult. Using a fine sieve (not even as fine as a chinois) I get very little "liquid". I'd just process, cook a second time and blend again.

I'd start with half the recipe using 8 habs, not 10. IMO.

Caution: if you're going to try any recipes on that site (which I am), caefully review recipe ingredient quantities. I found a bbq sauce recipe that uses dates (love dates). The vinegar quantity is "250ml/3cups". 3 cups is 750ml. He says all his recipes store for 6mo so it has to be 750ml/3C.

I cannot find a way to contact him regarding this. Just review before using.

Last edited:
for those that can't stand the heat (stay out of the kitchen! lol j/k), check this one out:

Chipotle Black Bean Hot Sauce. I love black beans but they go bad so quickly in the fridge I don't cook them very often...and never in a sauce. The site even mentions loving this sauce on wings ----- I think I'm going to have to try this. Substitutions would be easy to dial the heat back....just not all the way back.

http://thehotsauceaddiction.com/chilpotle-black-bean-hot-sauce/

I like that one because of the rum addition. The straining part , I find is difficult. Using a fine sieve (not even as fine as a chinois) I get very little "liquid". I'd just process, cook a second time and blend again.

I'd start with half the recipe using 8 habs, not 10. IMO.

I like a little texture anyway. If you're trying to filter out a lot of the solids, double mesh strainers work well---first used them to filter the grains/hops out of wort (beer brewing). They'd fill so quickly I'd keep a large spoon and scrape the inside of the colander (double stainless mesh) so the fresh stuff had a fresh section to be filtered through....otherwise the flow would just stop.

I agree about halving the recipe - no need to make a gallon! Especially if it's new and might not be a favorite

smoked habanero and Jalapenos go great in a hot sauce, I use carrots, onions, garlic and sea salt as well as white vinegar you can also add a little turmeric to it . I may over process mine but it comes out nice and thick. I pluck the stems off the peppers, wash them then into the food processor add the diced garlic, onion and carrot, add your dry ingredients and pulse it all together then start adding some vinegar, at least 1/2 cup to start and maybe if you want a couple tsp. of lime juice, then it's into a qt ball jar and into the fridge for a couple 3 weeks then I run it through a blender, mine has the consistency of loose apple sauce, still has the seeds and all but everything is pureed. Funny ting is habs, even the red ones I've used makes a yellowish sauce. I have a quart of hab sauce and one of cayenne, I grew the habs and Jalapenos and the cayenne was given to me, a lot of guys where I work grow peppers and just give them away, I rarely have to buy them. Here's a few pics of what I have now and a few of the more colorful store bought

Here's a bottle of Monica On Your Knees sauce my FIL bought us years and years ago. LOL

763FB235-874F-4076-BE60-B4EBAB44C239_zps67810vit.jpg

Very nice Collection Don! & techniques-

and Dwain, that must've been a really hot sauce to drop her to her knees!

:)

Ghost pepper sauces are my go to as I like it HOT. The Carolina Reaper from South Carolina is the hottest pepper to date from what I read. Will try growing a plant next summer. Cool thread.

NeilH .. I hope you have a HIGH tolerance for heat, I work with a guy who has eaten every pepper we've ever given him including ghost peppers and I even made a 7 pepper sauce which included ghost peppers, not much of a reaction, then one of my co-workers who grew a couple reaper plants brought in a few of the peppers, after watching said pepper head take 2 bites he laid it down and said" that's freaking hot" and never finished it. Pucker Butts isn't that far from where I live

Back