Electric Pepper Grinder Mill

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Does anyone have a good rechargeable pepper mill?
I'd like a small one for white pepper, so, it will not be used everyday... and i'd like not to spend more than 30 bucks on it...
Any recommendations?
Thank you!

Not sure why you'd need a rechargeable. I have an old Sharper Image pepper grinder. The thing takes 4 AA batteries and I think I've changed them just 3-4 times in 10 years.

I don't have a recommendation, but consider a regular battery model. You can always use rechargables in it.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris!
Sure, it does not need to be rechargeable, but a battery operated one would be nice.
I'll look at the SI.

Jim,
This one is still working great for me.
I haven't needed to recharge my batteries yet.
Lots of good reviews on Amazon.

Just noticed Jon's question about the grind adjustment, mine adjusts well from fine to coarse.

Not sure about electric, but -

If you main concern is one-handed operation
(lift the lid with one hand, pepper with the other?):

I remember a link from a while back, someone made one with a "squeeze-handle" and probably some sort of internal ratchet mechanism, which provided single-hand operation and no batteries / charging needed.

Check-out this link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...YPS/thevirtualweberb

Cannot recall the link (about a year ago?), but just a little food for thought - HTH

Well, i ordered the Sharper Image (thank you Chris) after reading the reviews AND after the cramp in my hand dissipated.

Now, I'll have four grinders... any more and they'll pass the Weber grill count here.

seems like i'll be returning the sharper image pepper grinder since it does not grind peppercorns...
so, i'm back in the market for one that does work.

(press the top button, the motor starts nicely butt no pepper comes out. Yes, i did fill it with peppercorns)
icon_rolleyes.gif

maybe i should steer away from the motorized versions of a grinder.
<span class="ev_code_GREY">i HATE sending _ _ _ _ back!</span>

Jim, I may be all wet, but are you using Tellicherry peppercorns? I've noticed that they seem to be harder to grind than other types of peppercorns I've tried.

Kevin, can you address that please? I'm curious too.

Rita

I tried White peppercorns first (the reason for buying it).
Then i tried regular black peppercorns.
THEN, i tried seasalt.
Held the top button down for 30 seconds while the motor ran, saw the peppercorns and salt turn a bit thru the clear window but basically, nothing came out.
tried adjusting the fine to course grind and still nothing.
I'm sure it's just this unit that is defective.

Jim, I just bot the Trudeau Elite Graviti Pepper Mill after checking out Bob's rec - just got it this afternoon but I've used it a couple of times & like it so far.

You are sure that there is no plastic film covering the grinders? The grinders ive bought always had a "test" sticker on them(confirming that they work)

If not send it back free of charge and get a new one. Peugeot makes some really good grinders.

Thanks Clint, I will look at the Trudeau model and Daniel, i own two Peugeot manual grinders and they are GREAT! i do not know if they make battery operated grinders...
I'll look into that too.
ummmm, no plastic film covering nothing on the SI grinder. the grinding mech is just not making contact with the corns...

How about 18 Volts of pepper grinding Madness?
icon_eek.gif

DSCN2753.JPG

I use this set up if I need a lot of fresh ground.

Thanks Mac for your suggestion, i think that's AWESOME! Really!
butt, i think i'm getting a manual crank from Penzey's.
I have one from them already and it's dang good...

Jim - I am saving my pennies for a Penzey's manual grinder, as the twist top Peugeot grinder that I have is OK, but it has no happy medium for grind size - either microscopic (can't see how much you are adding to a dish) or chunky style, which is not preferred by the fam.

Mac - life is always better when power tools are used. Awesome!

Not electric, but thinking of getting a couple unicorns myself, probably the regular size magnum. Maybe even one for salt. I have a Peugeot that I've been using for a bunch of years but it is limited in terms of grind variation. Plus would be nice to have a couple for different types of pepper.

If you do decide to buy a unicorn mill I would suggest buying from the manufacturers site. They are actually a little cheaper than Ebay even with shipping. Also they charge the same $4 shipping for any size order.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac:
How about 18 Volts of pepper grinding Madness?
icon_eek.gif

DSCN2753.JPG

I use this set up if I need a lot of fresh ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mac you made my day! I want one!!!!!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Non-electric, but the one that many of us own and love is the 9-in. Unicorn Magnum Plus Pepper Mill, Black

It holds a LOT of peppercorns, so you won't have to refill so often.

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right you are, Rita - I purchased one based on the recommendations of Cook's Illustrated, and of several brands I've owned, it's by far the best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rolf Jacobsen:
I use this set up if I need a lot of fresh ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mac you made my day! I want one!!!!!
icon_smile.gif
[/QUOTE]

Glad I could help.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back