Tandem pastrami, Cow's tongue and turkey

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
I’ve seen your Pastrami posts, John Des mentioned, and several others forgotten, and finally found out that I should give it a go.
Here in Norway we do not have the Swedish “smørgåsbord”, but lunch, served cold, and as a buffet is actually more common than in Sweden, where they tend to eat warm lunch. A strange kind of people.
Well, off we go. I bought a turkey breast for this, and thought the breast would feel a bit lonely on my large WSM, so I bought a cow’s tongue as well. It was already salted, my guess is to the usual 2,5- 3%. The turkey breast was dry salted, 2.7% with chrushed pepper corns, some sugar and laurel leaves for the usual three days.
The tongue looks like this:

Not very appetizing, I must admit. It actually looks like an inedible part of a cow. 2 pounds.
Normally we do not smoke the tongue, but cook it for about three hours in simmering water before the very thick and strong membrane on the tongue can be removed from the tip and backwards.
I could not use this approach, as I was going to smoke it, so I cut off the membrane with my Masahiro knife. It felt like the edge of the knife was dull, this membrane is really something, the toughest one I have ever put a knife into.
I can easily shave myself with this knife.

I packed the tongue in some food net, I do not know the proper English word. I folded the tip of the tongue, and added some gelatin between the layers.

No pictures from the smoke, because nightfall at this time of the year is right after 3 o’clock. I live “in the middle of the Hudson bay” if you move my location over to your continent.
Now, after three hours in the WSM at 150 degrees F, smoked with a generous amount of Alnus incana, a variety of alder, and some juniper as well. Finished to 170 degrees F in the oven.
This is how it looks after smoking

And the plated shots.
First the tounge. A great success! Very moist, with a subtle smoke flavor The tip of the tongue was a tad dry, but that was expected, as there is no fat in that part of the tongue.

The turkey, a bit drier, but with a fantastic smoke flavor! Both of these cooks are keepers!

Thanks for watching, and for your time, and please click on pics to see larger ones.

That's Fantastic Geir!
Yeah, the first two photos did nothing for me OR my appetite, butt HoleySmokes! this one
1049686.jpeg
looks IDEAL!
Absolutely Beautiful!

What a feast it would be if you made a European roadtrip, visiting Daniel and me, and then we could return the visit later!

I could let you taste the tounge, the moose heart, and we could smoke a smalahove.
http://www.wackyowl.com/wp-con...istmas-dinner-12.jpg

Seriously, we do not eat these strange dishes every day, nor the smalahove, lutefisk or some of the other more exotic dishes that I have posted. But I think it is fun to post these rare dishes than posting copies of smoked meals that you guys do better.

And to be frank- the tongue is super-tasty and moist.

Thank you for the nice comments!

Hey....I grew up eating tongue (sweet and sour w/raisins) and I lived in The Bronx(NYC where the NY Yankees play), so it's not so strange. Your pastrami looks great.

You are quite right- I'm sure several others have found out how to use a couple of pounds of tounge per cow in other parts of the world as well, no doubt. Usually our traditions are not as unique as we like to think.
I know they are mixed into several types of sausages.

Now, sweet an sour, for me that's is a new idea.. Thank you for the tip!

Great post Geir, and I'm glad I could inspire you to make the turkey pastrami. We really enjoyed it last week, and there's another pack in the freezer for another week of lunches. That's a beautiful smoke on the turkey and the tongue. I'd love to try some smoked tongue, as I believe I've only ever had it boiled and not since I was a small child. If you didn't slice on a machine, that's also some excellent slicing.

Great post, Geir. Tongue never appealed to me until I saw this post. Looks really good.

Wow, thanks for the tips on tongue, Geir.
I grew up eating it and never had a problem with my food licking me back. Just a different texture. However, my wife now will not touch it if she feels it. Your 'skinning' technique will allow me to serve it again!

Thank You!

Very interested in trying both of these. Could you share any more info about the curing process? When you say 2-3%, what do you mean?

Thanks!

It's just an estimate based on how salty the tongue was. The tounge was bought ready salted, as there were no alternatives.

But I usually dry salt in a ziplock bag, and the number is the persentage of salt of the weight of the trimmed meat. Sugar and other spices are not included. On small pieces of meat I like to use dry salting rather than brine.

The tongue- I think brine is best, and for a week, because of the very thick and massive membrane. Or you could remove it before dry salting.

So, if your turkey breast is one kilo, and you want to add 2,7% salt, which is right if you want to use it cold on sandwiches, it goes like this- 1000g * 2,7 /100 = 27 g of salt.
I know you do not use this system, I am familiar with pounds, but I do not think you measure salt in pounds?

Google tells me that it would be 0.95 ounces.

Do get a good digital scale ment for small quantities. "normal" scales are way too inacurate for such small amounts. I have this one- cheap and more than good enough.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/p...01g-resolution-15764

Tongue? No thanks i dont eat what someone else have had in there mouth. I rather have some scrambled eggs pls
icon_wink.gif

Looks great Geir!

...Now, after three hours in the WSM at 150 degrees F, smoked with a generous amount of Alnus incana, a variety of alder, and some juniper as well. Finished to 170 degrees F in the oven.
This is how it looks after smoking

Are you talking juniper berries or j. wood?

I am so impressed! That second to last pic--no problem eating that if you don't show me the pic of the uncooked salted tongue first! Thanks for walking us through the cook Geir!

Back