You're filling your propane tanks right, not exchanging?

T Waite

TVWBB Super Fan
$8.96 today to fill a completely empty 20 pound tank, way less than exchanging. I've filled three this season for less than $30.

I usually use Tractor Supply, it seems most of the them refill propane but not all. My local Hdwe is putting in a fill station now, waiting for their certification.

Yep yep. Costco has it for a similar price around here. Something like $1.87 per gallon or so. It's twice as much at UHaul, but even that would still be less expensive than exchanging.

We have a locally owned feed store where a kid working there put in a fill station for a school project. I like to support my local businesses.

I used to go to a local welding supply shop, they were about 1/2 of exchanging.....when I wanted a nicer looking tank, I'd exchange! ;)

I use very little propane but it costs the same either way. So usually exchange since it's faster and I don't have to wait around with my thumb in my...............nether region. Not sure where you all can get LP so cheap but around here it's "oh you need LP?" Bend over

We have a locally owned feed store where a kid working there put in a fill station for a school project. I like to support my local businesses.

We have a propane delivery place in town that until this summer filled tanks. I always went there. This year they said their filling station isn't certified. I suspect they stopped messing with it because so many people exchange they weren't making any money. I've heard most people find out they need gas on Sunday when they try to light the grill, and since they aren't open on Sunday...

There's a local hardware that just put a station in and is waiting for their certification. They are open Sundays, so they expect to do ok with it. That's where I'll go once they're up and running.

I use very little propane but it costs the same either way. So usually exchange since it's faster and I don't have to wait around with my thumb in my...............nether region. Not sure where you all can get LP so cheap but around here it's "oh you need LP?" Bend over

Wow, that's crazy. Here's the difference is 2.5-1. About $22-24.00 to exchange, $9-10 to fill.

Here's my results from 11/14/2014: 3 tanks for $36.93, and that included one tank being recertified for $4.50.

Filled them up again 6/16/2015, all 3 for $28.92....

xv_yzPv7axeu39jaY0BMxuFiHDuPWpGa1ZDeJOnD5jk=w560-h995-no

I didn't realize what a ripoff Uhaul was until I found an independent shop. $10 vs $20 for a fill.

Exchanging tanks is for suckers.

I didn't realize what a ripoff Uhaul was until I found an independent shop. $10 vs $20 for a fill.

First off any place I go it costs the same to exchange or refill (no difference) If I could refill for $8.00 like some seem to claim here I'd do it

Exchanging tanks is for suckers.

And this is TOTALLY uncalled for! It costs me $18 to exchange or $18 to refill so who's the sucker?! Might be different in other places of the state or country but everything here is a ripoff and if I have to drive more than a few minutes in a 14 MPG vehicle to refill ONE tank maybe every 8 months even if I did save a couple $$$ on the tank where is my savings if I have to burn through 3 gallons of gas? Get a clue before you make dumb comments!

The local hardware store charges $20 to fill, which is more than current exchange prices.

Next time you exchange one, try and weigh it before you use any gas. Exchange tanks are notorious for having around 15lbs. of gas, not 20.

An empty propane tank weighs between 16.5 and 17.5 lbs., supposedly. The weight is stamped on the valve shroud/handle. I've weighed them myself and found tanks well short of 20 lbs.

I refilled one a couple days ago. Cost was $11.70. Exchanges around here run anywhere from $19-$22. The only time I'll do the exchange will be when my tanks reach their re-certification date. Got about a year and a half before this time comes so will do the exchange thing then, and just refill the tank after that.

I'll be filling. I have the old quick disconnect and have a tank for that. So long as they can fill it, I'll use it.

The Menards by my house started filling the tanks. It is cheaper and they give you a full 20 lbs. It still cost me almost $20 to fill it though. The one time the lady told me that she could fill my one tank this time, but it is the last time. She said there is a date stamped on it and they can only fill tanks that are 10 years or newer. The next time I needed more propane, I did an exchange for a newer and better looking tank.

Back