Your Experience Painting Knobs

DannyGarcia

TVWBB Fan
Ive soaked these in bleach and scrubbed them with simple green but they still have a bit of a brown tint to them.

Whats your experience painting them? Im sure they look good fresh but I imagine they dont look too great after a while...

Should I leave them alone and live with it ?

Attachments

• 20240509_214308.jpg
    20240509_214308.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 4
I've never painted them before. I have used a black sharpie to put the pointer back on. I would try soaking them in bleach again, like over night. I also add a little bit of dawn to the bleach water. You could also just leave them, I'm sure they look a lot better than before. Option three would be to get some new ones. Google Weber part # 00120 for new options. Option four would be to swing by my house, I have a box full of nice ones that I've already cleaned up.

I've never painted them before. I have used a black sharpie to put the pointer back on. I would try soaking them in bleach again, like over night. I also add a little bit of dawn to the bleach water. You could also just leave them, I'm sure they look a lot better than before. Option three would be to get some new ones. Google Weber part # 00120 for new options. Option four would be to swing by my house, I have a box full of nice ones that I've already cleaned up.

Aahaahaa nice Steve ok ill try the bleach again and if not i might hit you up for some.

I just thought I might go a dark grey or something and was wondering if the paint held up on them or not.

Aahaahaa nice Steve ok ill try the bleach again and if not i might hit you up for some.

I just thought I might go a dark grey or something and was wondering if the paint held up on them or not.
I know a couple of people have dyed them black, and that seems to hold up. You can always try and paint them. What's the worst thing that can happen? Like I said, I have a box full of them.

Dying them is a permanent solution. You could dye them almost any color, not just black but if you try to dye them with a light color, the stains may show through, I don't know for sure.

Bruce, I might have to have you talk me through dying them Blue but, then again, maybe a good set of Black will be better on the over the top silly grilly project. I will think that one over a bit.

Bruce, I might have to have you talk me through dying them Blue but, then again, maybe a good set of Black will be better on the over the top silly grilly project. I will think that one over a bit.

Found this guy dying plastics on youtube. I wouldn't say he did it the safest way haahaa but you will get the point.

Found this guy dying plastics on youtube. I wouldn't say he did it the safest way haahaa but you will get the point.

This is the very reason I ask for “design” opinions here instead of using YouBoob for things which have the potential for disaster? I’ll send You some knobs and an igniter bezel and switch next week Bruce… at your leisure buddy, no rush at all!

I have never painted the knobs.

I have painted sun dried/bleached plastic window shutters on my house. We scrubbed them with a bleach solution, then washed with Dawn soap, let dry, then painted with Krylon Fusion. Looked awesome and surpassed the initial factory color by the time we moved.

I painted the knobs on my Summit a medium gray. Holding up fine for a year, but I knew when I did it that I would have to paint again eventually.

I also once painted a light gray side burner knob black. The gray did start showing after several years.

In either case, I would do it again. Nice first generation Summit knobs are very difficult to find, and I was not satisfied with what all my cleaning efforts accomplished.

IMG_5023.jpeg

I painted the knobs on my Summit a medium gray. Holding up fine for a year, but I knew when I did it that I would have to paint again eventually.

I also once painted a light gray side burner knob black. The gray did start showing after several years.

In either case, I would do it again. Nice first generation Summit knobs are very difficult to find, and I was not satisfied with what all my cleaning efforts accomplished.

View attachment 90780

Look great. I think I may either paint or try plasti dip. 2 days in bleach and dish soap didnt do it.

Or, I go get some from Steve aahaaa

Jon, I noticed someone asking about the SS Panels for the Summit cook box. Did you ever respond to them?

Back