You guys made me do it.

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
So after seeing all the photos of clean shiny fireboxes and folks mentioning that I should have sold grills for more money, I decided to go for it.
I went to Harbor Freight and purchased the wire wheel set for my grinder because the one on my drill did not cut it. Let me tell you what a hellish job it was, and I have no idea how you do the corners. I used a mask and goggles, but was covered in 10 year old muck dust from head to toe. I did this grill and listed it for $100 more than I would have to see what happens.

Thanks bud! So for that unit, you bought one set of the 22.5 for $29.99 and another set of the 15.3 for $26.99 to cover both levels? Or did you just do the bottom as shown?

So after seeing all the photos of clean shiny fireboxes and folks mentioning that I should have sold grills for more money, I decided to go for it.
I went to Harbor Freight and purchased the wire wheel set for my grinder because the one on my drill did not cut it. Let me tell you what a hellish job it was, and I have no idea how you do the corners. I used a mask and goggles, but was covered in 10 year old muck dust from head to toe. I did this grill and listed it for $100 more than I would have to see what happens.
It really is the worst. I just ground off the outside of a firebox in order to repaint. Did a one hour stint per day over four days. Likely will leave the inside as is.

It really is the worst. I just ground off the outside of a firebox in order to repaint. Did a one hour stint per day over four days. Likely will leave the inside as is.
For the outside I would have just lightly sanded, painted. I could not do 4 days of that. One hard day, shower for an hour, and be done. Even with a mask with a filter I got some of that stuff up my nose. I will have to try a better 3M one I have if I ever do that again.

For the outside I would have just lightly sanded, painted. I could not do 4 days of that. One hard day, shower for an hour, and be done. Even with a mask with a filter I got some of that stuff up my nose. I will have to try a better 3M one I have if I ever do that again.
Probably should have, but I really wanted a 100% smooth paint job. This is a grill I plan on keeping for... well, until either it or I collapse.

I had a 3M N95 and some heavy glasses. Not too much of an issue there. But the rest of me was covered in grime, it was just tedious as hell, and a pain on my arms/back.

I went to Harbor Freight and purchased the wire wheel set for my grinder.... Let me tell you what a hellish job it was,
LOL!! Congrats. You have been promoted from flipper to rehabber.
However ......
I didn't see any mention of pulling tiny wire shreds from your forearms
or out of your feet. Nor the dance that one must perform when accidently
dropping a running grinder that doesn't have a paddle switch.
You have much to learn young Grasshopper. Wax on, wax off.

Legs too if you wear shorts. And this is not to mention all the little bastards that wind up stuck in your clothing. I am sure the washing machine loves those.
I think it is mostly your fault Bruce. You seem to set the standard by which we judge our rehabs, as yours come out like or sometimes better than new.

Yep, we made you do it. I just got done grinding off a couple end caps and painting them. I am about to go and start checking for wire spears in my clothes and skin. It reminds me of checking for ticks after being in the woods this time of year.

Yep, we made you do it. I just got done grinding off a couple end caps and painting them. I am about to go and start checking for wire spears in my clothes and skin. It reminds me of checking for ticks after being in the woods this time of year.
Bruce, have you found any brand of wire wheel better than another and how long do yours last? I just notices mine is less than half of what it used to be I think. I bought the Harbor Freight kit so I also have the knotted one I have not tried yet. Yes I just picked some wires out of my shorts thank you.

I always use the HF ones. You can find some brand name ones at HD and Lowes and Menards, but they won't last all that much longer and will run you about 4 times the price. I tend to use my wheels longer than I should and I am always amazed at how much better a new one works than that old one did that I was struggling with. At $4 each, it doesn't hurt to swap them out fairly often, but I can say that I can usually do an entire cookbox, in and out with one if I recall correctly. I have been having them sand blasted the last couple years and I forget for sure.
Those heavy knotted ones will raise hell on the cook box and will gouge it pretty good. I don't know how long they will last as I tried one and quickly switched. They are just too aggressive for aluminum IMO.

I always use the HF ones. You can find some brand name ones at HD and Lowes and Menards, but they won't last all that much longer and will run you about 4 times the price. I tend to use my wheels longer than I should and I am always amazed at how much better a new one works than that old one did that I was struggling with. At $4 each, it doesn't hurt to swap them out fairly often, but I can say that I can usually do an entire cookbox, in and out with one if I recall correctly. I have been having them sand blasted the last couple years and I forget for sure.
Those heavy knotted ones will raise hell on the cook box and will gouge it pretty good. I don't know how long they will last as I tried one and quickly switched. They are just too aggressive for aluminum IMO.
Thanks - I just took a shower and found a bunch that came off with a wash cloth that were imbedded in my legs as I was wearing shorts. I didn't even realize it. Just out of curiosity have you tried some different grits of flap disks? I was thinking to pick up some next time in HF and give them a go.

Back