yet even more bacon

Peter Gallagher

TVWBB Guru
We are having a party at the end of the month, with several folks camping for the weekend at our place - Of course, we'll need bacon!

7182398047_5fbc34a88e_z.jpg

started out with some bellies...

7182398121_a74178a617_z.jpg

brined them up for a couple of weeks

7367630952_cde21c7462_z.jpg

smoked for about 8 hours...

7367671700_26691c66dd_c.jpg

peel skins & cool -

7182398425_8e9e6e082d_c.jpg

next morning slice ....

7367630714_8310f54734_z.jpg

...and wrap!

Originally posted by Jon Des.:
Wow. Are you selling tickets to Baconapalooza or is this by invitation only?

lol - By invitation only - But we'll certainly hook you up with an all-access laminate if you'd like to attend!

Originally posted by Wolgast:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
Looks fantastic!

THIS!

Edit: Oh and 8h? Mine gets to 150 Internal in 3h-4h? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks Dave & wolgast!

I smoked these at between 140 and 160 with apple wood. I was noticing that when doing them at 200, that before the centers would get to 150, the outsides would begin to dry out more than I like. I think the bellies we get are fairly thick – around 4” at the thickest point (this batch by comparison were some of the thinner ones we’ve gotten) I think these got to about 120-130 internally before I pulled them.

I’m still a bit confused about the need to get them to 150 if you are going to cook them again. J has mentioned it helps with preserving them, which makes sense. I think though if you freeze them in batches, using what you need, they’d easily last at least a week in the fridge. Because they are fairly big, I like the idea of giving the more smoke, for a longer time.

I tend to agree with Peter here, longer smoke at cooler temperatures produces better bacon. Since you're frying the bacon to eat it later, there's no need to cook it first in the smoker. In my "cold smoke" thread in this forum I described smoking bacon for a total of 24 hours (3x 8 hour smokes over 3 days) and the internal temperature of that bacon never exceeded about 70F as far as I know. Best bacon I ever made...

Great looking bacon ! I tend to agree longer smoke and I normally pull at about 125! Reminds me! I'm out so I need to get on it!

Great post and pictures!

My thoughts on smoking to 150 are that it seems to make the meat firm up, which makes slicing easier. Also, now that pork is safe to eat at that temperature, there's an added bonus in that you don't need to worry about cross-contaminating anything else.

how do you smoke at 140F?

using a "standard" approach (lit coals) i have a heard time keeping the wsm below 220...

using "cold smoking" - some kind of saw dust smoking rig, i imagine it would be hard to get the temp that high...

If you do a minion type control with a WSM starting with only 3-4 lit coals it's pretty easy to stop the temp rise around 140-170 depending on how airtight your WSM door etc is.

What a great thread. I am a new guy to smoking and have just started making my own bacon. I have done it twice. One was a hot finish in my kitchen oven, no smoke. The second was a warm finish on my Weber OTG and Smokenator setup. I ran at 110F to 135F most of the time. I smoked for 5 hours with hickory chips. I can see that if you want that smokey note to your bacon, smoking is essential. A warm smoke lets me smoke for longer period than a hot smoke on the Weber, so there is more time for the smoke to get into the bacon.

If I had space, I'd set up a separate cold smoke unit for longer times. I am curious about the taste of the 3 day smoked bacon. While not "over smoked" where it is bitter, is it very smokey so that flavor really predominates?

I think the joy of making my own bacon is that I can play with it to get the flavor profile that is best for the individual. My wife loves sweeter bacon with a good smoke (1x), but I am guessing that a 3x smoke would not go well with her. I, on the other hand, would probably love it.

However, I would make a hot smoked bacon on my Weber at 200F grill temp and finish the bacon at 150F. Even 2 or 3 hours of smoke is better than none. And since I am in the Philippines where the meat handling is not nearly so good as in the USA, finishing at 150F is kind of reassuring too.

j law, the A-Maze-N smoke box does just what you describe. There a couple of variations, one for sawdust and two for pellets. For a no-charcoal cold smoke, it would be ideal. I don't have one, but friends do and they like it a lot.

Peter,

Where do you get your pork bellys? I noticed your location is "the Gorge", I'm located outside Portland. I'm still looking for a good belly supply source.

Thanks

Originally posted by Todd H:
Peter,

Where do you get your pork bellys? I noticed your location is "the Gorge", I'm located outside Portland. I'm still looking for a good belly supply source.

Thanks

Hi Todd,
we come in to Portland and get them at Gartners. They get their belly (and most of their pork) from Carlton Farms. Gartners is the real deal, and Carlton Farms is the source of a lot of the restaurant meat in Portland.
pbg

Been to Gartners several times, definately a nice place. I switched to bellies from Rest. Depot, much cheaper, but the quality was hit and miss so I'm still looking for a farm source. I'll call Carltons to see if they sell fresh bellies.

Thanks

Back