Yesterday's cook with pics

Ken_K

TVWBB Super Fan
I did two racks of spares plus some chicken legs. Everything turned out great, this was my first smoke of the year.(pics are click-able)

Here's the initial setup, using hickory chunks and BBQers Delight apple pellets in foil pouches.

Here are the ribs and trimmings rubbed with Raichlen's Basic BBQ rub. In the background are a couple of my b-day presents...Weber poultry roaster, and grill pan. ^_^

Ribs are on and temp is almost there...

Here are the chicken legs ready to go on using another b-day present -- the leg rack. My friend asked me to throw on some B/S breasts for him to have for his lunches this week and I was happy to oblige. They are rubbed with Webers 'Kicken Chicken' rub.

Ribs sauced with SBR Honey BBQ and ready to come off after about 7 hours...

Ribs and chicken ready to eat...

Everything turned out good. I was pleased with the Weber chicken rub, had never tried that one before. The ribs were incredibly thick and probably could have benefited from some time in foil, but they were still quite tasty, just not as tender as I like them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
i like that kickin' chicken rub. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it was very good. Had just a bit of heat and nice bold flavor over all.

My wife and I love Kickin' Chicken. We bought a big thing of it at Sam's and use it for all of our grilled/smoked chicken.

The food looks great!

Boy that food looks great making me hungry
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Holloway:
I like your leg rack, I've never seen one before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was the first time I used it. I really liked it. It utilizes the vertical space and allowed me to get some more things on the grate.

The Food looks great!

I like the leg rack - is it easy to clean? I have a set of rib racks from Steve Raichlen and I find that they are a pain.

Did you cook the chicken in the WSM with the ribs or on the kettle next to it at higher temp.?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J. Morgan:
The Food looks great!

I like the leg rack - is it easy to clean? I have a set of rib racks from Steve Raichlen and I find that they are a pain.

Did you cook the chicken in the WSM with the ribs or on the kettle next to it at higher temp.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is easy to clean, I just let it soak in the sink for a little bit then run a scrubber pad all around it and it all came clean.

I had considered doing the legs on the OTS but ended up just doing them in the WSM along with the ribs. I had brined them ahead of time and just stripped the skin off and applied the rub straight to the skinned legs. They came out great, plenty moist and tender. They took about two hours at ~250 degrees dome temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Looks great. Really like that leg rack. Where did you get it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got it from a local grill place here, their main business is bottle gas propane but they are a full line Weber dealer too. And of course they have lots of nice grill toys. I can't remember the brand name of the rack...IIRC it had the word 'Cajun' in the title.

Back