Year of Manufacture

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
OK guys, I checked the Serial number web site to determine the age of this Genesis II grill I picked up. However, I can't find the DW date code anywhere on the site.

Serial number.jpg

I just registred the grill on Weber.com and it gives me the schematics for 2017. Can anyone explain what the deal is here?

It's probably a new date code scheme. The only way we find out about them is when we stumble upon them like this. Weber does not divulge them to the public. It's taken me a lot of work over the years to figure out the ones we DO know about.

So here's the start to unravel a new scheme:

DW

Then you go to a pattern matching website and enter d??????w??? and you get this list of words:

dayflowers
decanewton
decinewton
dinnerware
disavowals
disavowers
disavowing
dishtowels
dragonwort

But it can't have any repeating letters, which leaves:

dayflowers

But it's probably not that. And they can manipulate words or phrases like BLAQKSMIXH or GIVEJOYNUW. So the only way to know is to wait 10 years for the whole sequence to cycle through OR find someone on the inside that will divulge the code. Sometimes a phone call and asking nicely is all that's needed. :D

I used to work in Army Intelligence and that reminds me of cracking call signs in communications. hahahaha.

Thanks for the info Chris. If more post up valid serial numbers and year of manufacture, maybe we can crack it quicker.

I used to work in Army Intelligence and that reminds me of cracking call signs in communications. hahahaha.
Then you're the PERFECT guy to interrogate the Weber customer service rep. Call, give them your serial number, ask some question about the grill, and then casually ask about the DW code, "I understand these letters are a code for the year my grill was made. What does DW stand for? And what's the entire code word?" Then return to HQ and report your findings. :cool:

Chris, I may just do that.
t0sG1c6.jpg

If you go to the support page on Weber.com there's a "Search by Serial Number" field that includes a drop-down list of all valid two-letter date codes.

Here's the list of codes starting with D. I've followed each with the code scheme they fall under. Your DW is the odd man out. Very curious.

DA - AUTHORIZED 01
DC - DECRYPTWON 13
DD - AUTHORIZED 00 or DECRYPTWON 11
DE - AUTHORIZED 09 or DECRYPTWON 12
DH - AUTHORIZED 04
DI - AUTHORIZED 07 or DECRYPTWON 18
DN - DECRYPTWON 10
DO - AUTHORIZED 05
DP - DECRYPTWON 16
DR - AUTHORIZED 06 or DECRYPTWON 14
DT - AUTHORIZED 03 or DECRYPTWON 17
DU - AUTHORIZED 02
DW - ?????????? DECRYPTWON 18
DY - DECRYPTWON 15
DZ - AUTHORIZED 08

Note from Moderator: Updated to reflect an error in what we thought was DECRYPTION which was actually DECRYPTWON.

Last edited:
Chris: I actually called this evening. But, I got a message saying they were closed and gave their hours. Their hours go to 8pm Central. I looked at the clock and it was 8:02pm. Hahahaha.

I will try to remember to call tomorrow.

Bruce, let us know what they say.
Btw there was a cart only for sale for the E 310 II. I am not sure if it was here in classified or a regular post with link to facebook. Maybe it was a link in the ill just leave this here thread, but not 100% sure.

Chris A: I tried a couple times today. I just keep getting "No support agents are available". They have a separate extension for the SmokeFire and I imagine all available agents are being shifted over to that support group right now. This is probably going to have to wait for a while yet.

Chris in GA: I wish I could find all of the parts for the cart part of an Gen II E310 near me, but it just wouldn't be cost effective to try to acquire one from Georgia.

Over two years later, the mystery is finally resolved! Turns out we had an error in the date code, the I is actually a W.

DECRYPTWON

Chris, I was just thinking about this a couple days ago. I thought maybe you had forgotten about it or something.
What is the date range this will cover and will it be for all Weber grills or just certain ones?

Slow day there Boss?
Anything but!

Yesterday I got an mail from a Weber dealer that uses my How To Determine The Age Of Weber Grills & Smokers page to help customers date their grills. He included a photo of a DW date coded Genesis II E-310, couldn't find DW in any of my date code schemes, and wondered if there was a new scheme we were unaware of. Some quick checking confirmed that what I thought was an "I" in DECRYPTION was actually a "W" in DECRYPTWON.

Don't want to rain on the parade, but Weber emailed me in July 2022 and told me that my DW date coded Genesis ll E-310 was manufactured in 2017. Maybe I should ask them again.

Don't want to rain on the parade, but Weber emailed me in July 2022 and told me that my DW date coded Genesis ll E-310 was manufactured in 2017. Maybe I should ask them again.
Wish there was some rain!

I have confirmed with Weber that DW stands for the 2018 model year. Weber's 2018 model year runs from October 1, 2017 to September 30, 2018. Most DW grills were built in 2018, but some grills, like yours, were built in Fall 2017.

Back