WSM vs. BSK

Darrel Williams

TVWBB Super Fan
I recently sold my good-as-new 18.5 WSM on CL and invested in a BSK.

The Big Steel Keg (BSK) is an updated version of the Bubba Keg Convection Grill. It is an insulated, double walled grill with 2 grill grates- bottom one is cast iron and the top is stainless.

I Loved the WSM. Loved it, especially for pork shoulders. Traded up to the BSK because I thought it would be more versatile.

Thoughts.....

WSM: initially, easier to maintain a targeted smoke temp.
WSM: The 4 air vents on the WSM seem quite cheap and flimsy compared to the BSK steel bottom vent and MASSIVE cast iron top vent. Yet, sheepishly I admit, out of the box the WSM actually controls air flow better. I think that the bottom vent on the BSK is leaking air in even when shut down completely. I think some high heat silicone will fix this up though. Again, keep it simple. If the temp is high, too much charcoal is burning, so reduce the air flow.
WSM: has a water bowl diffuser. The BSK does not come with one. One is available, but it looks too small to me. I plan on getting a cast iron pan or wok of some sort and using that for low & slow.
WSM: Half the price of a BSK.

BSK: Insulated walls retain heat MUCH better.
BSK: High temps VERY easy to get. 750* for pizza? No problems
BSK: grates are better. Cast iron, plus a top grate that swings away so access to the bottom grate is possible.
BSK: the top vent is a really cool looking hunk of cast iron. I just have a hard time envisioning how to use it because the prevailing wisdom from WSMers is to keep the top vent fully open all the time.
BSK: reduced charcoal consumption may overcome initial price discrepancy for a frequent user and may be cheaper in the long run.
BSK: "self clean cycle" heat this puppy up to 750 for a couple hours and all the residue is soft as cake flour.

BSK: May be worth the price as a dedicated pizza oven. Certainly waaaaay cheaper than one of those refractory cement ovens.

i was looking to purchase a bsk a few months ago, however it seemed in their forums it could not maintain a temp like the wsm. Its definently cheaper then the bge so if its just a learning curve i think the bsk is worth its price. Hd had the bubba keg for 299 on line about 3 months ago. I should have bought won then. With that said i am still very happy with my wsm and wouldnt trade it for any cooker. the only thing i dont care for on it is the setup of it ( moving top rack to get to bottom, where charcoal is etc. ) i like the way the bsk top grate pushes over to get to bottom grate. anyways enough babbling from me.

Dude, you sold the wsm?? Don't get me wrong, I love my eggs and my bubba keg, but my wsm is an icon, and a darn fine BBQ machine. I don't think I could part with it. I don't think the wsm and bsk compare, two different products. The wsm is for BBQ, and that's about it, leave the high heat for kamados and kettles. My bubba keg has a trailer hitch, but it's still easier to bring my wsm, that's the main reason I kept it. Good luck with the bsk, it's a great cooker. You register for the bubba board yet? Good group over there and some helpful info. I did the high heat silicone sealing like you mentioned, and it works great.

I don't think you can "trade up" from a WSM; I think it's the best bullet smoker out there. Like John B said, the BSK is a different kind of cooker.

Good luck with your new Keg, Darrel; I'm sure you're going to love it. We expect you to report back about it and post lots of pictures!

I've got a Bubba Keg. The temperature control is an issue at first, but it's nothing a heavy seasoning with crisco can't fix.

The BK and WSM are different animals. The BK is a better all around cooker (awesome grill!) and it's WAY more efficient with coal but the WSM is cheaper, has much more capacity, and works better out of the box.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
I've got a Bubba Keg. The temperature control is an issue at first, but it's nothing a heavy seasoning with crisco can't fix.

The BK and WSM are different animals. The BK is a better all around cooker (awesome grill!) and it's WAY more efficient with coal but the WSM is cheaper, has much more capacity, and works better out of the box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said.

You can bbq in a kettle, bge, whatever, but I like any "designated smoker" to be big enough to satisfy a party, or the neighborhood. The wsm can easily cook well over thirty pounds of pork butt or brisket to serve a lot of folks.

Back