WSM vs. BGE

G Lamb

I'm pretty new at smoking. I am officially addicted and I love my WSM but everytime I post stuff about it, the Green Egg fans come out like crazy.

For a newbie, what is the big difference between the two?

That reaction is typical of all internet forums. Each product has its own fans, and they all come out when you mention what you have. LOL

IMHO, the difference between the two is the price. You can turn out some outrageous BBQ on both. It's only limited by your skills. ;)

BGE is better insulated and can cook hotter, and is probably better for long smokes in bitterly cold winter weather (although you can accomplish the same by putting a blanket or simple enclosure around the WSM).

If you can only have one and/or are tight for space you could make a good argument that the BGE is the way to go. I have a WSM and a kettle (Performer) and IMO that gives me more capacity and versatility, albeit taking up more space.

For a newbie, what is the big difference between the two?

Price as mentioned, insulation and weight. The BGE is a ceramic cooker and is very heavy. That makes it less practical to move around if that is important to you. My brother owns a BGE and loves it. I on the other hand have the WSM and love it. We both put out good/great food. It's just a tool so skill is needed for either. I was able to purchase a lot more food to serve while my brother was still paying his BGE off.

Paul

The price as mentioned is the biggest thing but I still can't see shelling out that kind of cash for a BGE , I mean if you know how to cook a cheep grill works just fine and if you're lazy like me the WSM eliminates the constant baby sitting a smoker needs. I've seen the same thing on a few other forums where they act like if it isn't done on an egg it isn't going to be good and some even go as far as to say their food tastes better off an egg to each his own I guess. ( RANT time) I realize some buy them just because they are expensive for the sake of bragging but that doesn't make them a better cook. The WSM is easier to move and doesn't break if it gets a good bump, they have a larger capacity, even the 18 holds more than a large BGE if I'm not mistaken. When you talk of fuel consumption I guess after you buy your BGE you have to be more frugal with your fuel so it has to be more efficent than the WSM but you can still choke off the air flow to kill your fire so you do use less, There is pros and cons for both but it still comes down to what works best for you.

I own both a WSM and another Ceramic cooker (not a BGE) and from a first hand opinion biggest difference in terms of how they cook would be the ability to do very low heat cooks and very high heat cooks on the same cooker. I can tell you both WSM's and ceramics will put out good Q, comes down to what you're into, how many cookers you want and how much you want to spend.

I understood Weber has moved their manufacturing facilty to China. That issue aside, the biggest advantage with the ceramic cookers is their ability to retain heat. To me that advantage comes at the cost of weight, the added price and fragility. I know of a person who bought one used and dropped it thinking he could move it himself....smashed it to pieces! Bang for the buck...Weber hands down!

I understood Weber has moved their manufacturing facilty to China. That issue aside, the biggest advantage with the ceramic cookers is their ability to retain heat. To me that advantage comes at the cost of weight, the added price and fragility. I know of a person who bought one used and dropped it thinking he could move it himself....smashed it to pieces! Bang for the buck...Weber hands down!
Only the cheap Weber Spirit gas grills are, the kettles and WSMs are all made in USA.

I have both a small and a large WSM. The BGE is a great, high quality product, but comparing a BGE to a WSM is really comparing apples to oranges.

For me, the important factors were:
Capacity - An xlarge BGE is about the same diameter as an 22 1/2" WSM, a large BGE an 18 1/2" WSM. The WSM has two cooking grates/levels so it has twice the cooking capacity of the same diameter BGE.
Cost - A BGE is 2-3 times the price of the same diameter WSM.
Weight - A BGE is a heavy piece, moving it around, even with wheels, is problematic.

For smoking traditional cuts of BBQ meat, at temperatures from 225F-350F, IMHO, the WSM is the way to go.

Bob

Kingsford is not recommended for the egg either due to higher ash accumulation. So while the BGE might be a bit more conservative on fuel usage, you are going to be paying more for the hardwood lump.....

I have a WSM, and a performer that I bought, and a Big Steel Keg, which is a slightly cheaper steel version of the egg, that my kids won at a comp a few months back. I paid less for both the WSM and the performer, than what you would pay for the BSK. I haven't done a lot of low and slow with the keg yet, but it is more fuel efficient on the higher heat cooks, and can easily get to 750*F.

Bang for your buck, if you have the space would be the WSM and performer. You would need to do a lot of cooks to save $300 on charcoal.

And like others mentioned, the WSM has as much, or more capacity than the KEG.

I think the real question is what are you doing hanging out on other sites. You will find all the knowledge you would ever need and a lot of Weber love right here. Just joking but I think the other guys have covered it pretty good for you.

Chris, as always the calm mediator.

Like allot of the guys here, I have never owned a BGE but have friends that swear by it and say it's the best. I think both my WSM's are great. ( still have $$ in my pocket ) BGE food tasting better---not sure about that. Cooking is a skill and a bbq what ever shape or size or make can produce great or not so great food depending on the cook. How many of us have been to high dollar restaurants who claim to have the best and then gone out to a great family run place and paid a 1/4 of the price and had a meal to die for.

you are going to be paying more for the hardwood lump.....

Not so sure about that one. I've been getting RO at Wally World at about the same price as regular K (not on sale). Definately cheaper than compK.

I refuse to bash anyone's cooker anymore. BGE, WSM, UDS, Stump, Spicewine, Traeger, FEC, Lang, Green Mtn, etc. The list goes on and on and I have personally seen a LOT of them turn out really good product. It's all about the person using the cooker, not the cooker. I've seen a hole in the ground turn out good Q! Can't get any cheaper than that!

Russ

Back