WSM vs Backwoods Smoker thoughts

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I was on the Fans of the WSM facebook site and several people mentioned that while they still have their 18.5 or 22.5 WSM's they are using Backwoods Smokers.

I had to google them, they are basically propane smokers but well insulated, look like the propane smokers at Bass Pro but better made, looks like.

However... and this is a big however, while they might be good for easy production I don't like them. I had first looked at them as the lazy mans way to BBQ, just light it and forget it, no thinking about how to build the fire etc. Of course the WSM are almost set and forget anyway, no real babysitting with them.

Maybe and this is a big Maybe, if we were real big BBQ eaters I would think of it, but then at that the same time with my 22.5 and the extra shelf I can do 9 full racks of ribs laid flat and I bet I could do more if I rolled or put in racks etc. With so much capacity on the 22.5 why do you need a fancy smoker?
\
anyone have experience with the backwoods?

The WSM is a very versertital cooker, you can do many different types of cooks on them.

Jeff I have played a bunch with a Backwoods Fatboy. It like the WSM is a set it and forget it smoker. Once you figure it out you don't have to play with it much. Backwoods smokers IMO are the Cadillac of smokers! Very well insulated, constructed very well, in the US, depending on size, they cook a ton of meat! The only drawbacks, cost, weight, and they do require more fuel (At least the Fatboy does). With that said for the money the WSM can't be beat! Backwoods are geared toward catering and competition cooks not cooks for the family. That's my .02 cents Jeff.

Just Googled them: impressive. And you know, there is really nothing wrong with a set-and-forget propane/electric smoker. Not everyone, every day can spare the time for a charcoal smoke.

You really can't go wrong with a high quality insulated cabinet smoker, it will do its thing very consistently in all weather conditions, but if you don't need that class of smoker the WSM is an "affordable" alternative that pretty much does the same thing, in the same manner.

I have buddies with elec and propane smokers. Not sure if they are Backwoods or not. But when they eat my BBQ they point out the taste. I don't say a word. One minute I am cooking high heat brisket indirect, hanging high heat chicken direct, cooking the T bird, etc... The next minute I am cooking low n slow Pulled Pork, lower and slower kielbasa, summer sausage, jerky and snack sticks. I say to each his/her own. I am happy with my cookers. I hope they are happy with theirs.

Last edited:
I am aware the BWs are charcoal. The comment on other than charcoal/wood smokers is that those devices can work well. In some cases better and easier than a charcoal smoker. There's a reason why I have three different ones - horses for courses.

The only thing a reverse flow vertical shares with the "Propane/electric" pits is a general shape.

Many people still keep wsm's because they are awesome for what they are. Backwoods/Humphreys/Pitmaker/Stumps/ect are specialized units and not for everyone. Impervious to weather, Large capacity per footprint, extreme efficiency, easy access to all racks, incredibly even cooking. All reasons people own them. No one is suggesting you need to drop 4K to bbq for your family on a budget. But if your dropping a thousand bucks to compete at a contest 200 miles away, no one wants to be effected by rain/wind/severe weather.

Last edited:
I bought a trailer from a guy that I plan to someday turn into a concession trailer. It has a Fatboy and Competitor mounted on the back.

I dont know if I can acurately describe how they work or not but Ill try. Picture a cabinet with a fire box under a water pan with hollow side walls. The smoke/heat comes up the sides and into the cooking chamber. To leave it has to go all the way to the bottom of the cabinet because thats where the exhaust is located. At the back and bottom of the cabinet. Thats why its called reverse flow. Its a really cool design that works great. Fill em up and get the air flow right and theyll run for hours and hours.

Theyre great smokers but I wouldnt recomend them for someone just wanting something to cook on in the backyard. Not that they wouldnt work or be good for that, I just think there are probably other options that would work and be a lot less expensive.

I was on the Fans of the WSM facebook site and several people mentioned that while they still have their 18.5 or 22.5 WSM's they are using Backwoods Smokers.

I had to google them, they are basically propane smokers but well insulated, look like the propane smokers at Bass Pro but better made, looks like.

However... and this is a big however, while they might be good for easy production I don't like them. I had first looked at them as the lazy mans way to BBQ, just light it and forget it, no thinking about how to build the fire etc. Of course the WSM are almost set and forget anyway, no real babysitting with them.

Maybe and this is a big Maybe, if we were real big BBQ eaters I would think of it, but then at that the same time with my 22.5 and the extra shelf I can do 9 full racks of ribs laid flat and I bet I could do more if I rolled or put in racks etc. With so much capacity on the 22.5 why do you need a fancy smoker?
\
anyone have experience with the backwoods?

Apparently Google is not your friend!

I have a Backwoods Gater- its about the size of the Fatboy, but comes standard with Stainless steel doors, 2" of insulation, 5 racks that will hold full size steam pans, heat diverter and removable waterpan. I've been using it for comps and cook brisket, butts and ribs using less than 2/3 of a 15lb bag of KBB per event. It is a fuel miser!

IMG_5080.jpg

IMG_6133.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

IMG_6132.jpg

You don't need a fancy smoker and I'll likely never give up my 22" WSM's (I sold my 18's and could live without them). Lazy Man's BBQ? Thats good for a laugh! The way I look at it they are all tools in the toybox to get the job done! I'm into outdoor cooking and would get bored just cooking on one particular pit, and yeah, I'm being lazy when I want Q and don't have the time devote to minding a pit, so I don't mind it a bit if I plug in my Cookshack Smokette or Pellet Pro WSM and hit start.

IMG_0482.jpg

100_3272.jpg

I still love the Drums-nuthin' fancy there!

IMG_1118.jpg

Hope this helps.

" Lazy Man's BBQ? Thats good for a laugh! The way I look at it they are all tools in the toybox to get the job done! I'm into outdoor cooking and would get bored just cooking on one particular pit, and yeah, I'm being lazy when I want Q and don't have the time devote to minding a pit, so I don't mind it a bit if I plug in my Cookshack Smokette or Pellet Pro WSM and hit start.|

I like your attitude!! :) When I have time there is nothing better than tinkering over a WSM but in a hurry set and forget produces some great meals. When I win the Powerball I'll grab me one of those Fatboys!

The only thing a reverse flow vertical shares with the "Propane/electric" pits is a general shape.

Many people still keep wsm's because they are awesome for what they are. Backwoods/Humphreys/Pitmaker/Stumps/ect are specialized units and not for everyone. Impervious to weather, Large capacity per footprint, extreme efficiency, easy access to all racks, incredibly even cooking. All reasons people own them. No one is suggesting you need to drop 4K to bbq for your family on a budget. But if your dropping a thousand bucks to compete at a contest 200 miles away, no one wants to be effected by rain/wind/severe weather.

All that is true and they cook great,several championships have been won with those and other cabinet smokers.

Im a little biased... i think Insulated reverse flows are the ultimate for MN cooking :)
we compete on a Backayard Bomber MJH and a Humphreys BB'cube
10169363_671603472914621_1353324315953000259_n.jpg

But it wasnt until we found out about the wsm almost a decade ago that BBQ became fun. WSM's are as set it and forget it as there is in nice weather. our first contests were on wsm's. Still have them. Even created ghetto wsm's for camping/tailgate style cooking where its just not practical to haul the big dogs out
10407292_720371974704437_5832250898897052357_n.jpg

Im still crossing my fingers that Weber makes a 26" wsm. The 14 is cute and everything, but give us something with capacity

If I did a lot of BBQ I would agree with all of you! I got the 22.5 but hardly used it this year, mostly the 14.5 - wife only likes brisket and ribs and they are $$$

I bought 200 pounds of KBB and still have at least 120 pounds left and that is with my son taking over my mini!

Back