WSM to arrive tomorrow!!!

Ron Price

Well I finally bit the bullet and purchased the long awaited WSM. I am giving my old Brinkman to a freind and moving on up to the land of WSM. I'm planning to smoke a brisket this weekend. Can't wait!
icon_smile.gif

Welcome, Ron. Briskey on the 1st go round. Let us know how you like the new smoker and of course pics of the success.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Price:
Well I finally bit the bullet and purchased the long awaited WSM. I am giving my old Brinkman to a freind and moving on up to the land of WSM. I'm planning to smoke a brisket this weekend. Can't wait!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the Promised Land! You'll love it here. The WSM makes some great brisket.

I got the 18 1/2 because it's just the wife and I. I can't imagine needing to feed more than 10 people.

Actually the WSM came a day early and is sitting in the box in my garage waiting to be assembled. I am planning to assemble it tomorrow.

Ron

Congrats and welcome to the family!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Price:
I got the 18 1/2 because it's just the wife and I. I can't imagine needing to feed more than 10 people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you smoke it...they will come...

Ron, while I have never owned a Brinkman, I can tell you that you will not be let down with the WSM! I also bought the 18'5" and can truly say I LOVE IT! While the "Tim The Tool Man" in me would love to step up to the 22", I know there is no need for the extra space. I have smoked a Boston Butt, and 3 racks of baby backs, it was a gracious plenty for 8/10 people, and I don't see me cooking for many more than that. (besdides, There was plenty of room to load at least 1 more Boston Butt in the smoker.) Good luck, I only hope you are as satisfied with your WSM as I am with mine!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks for the welcome. I am really looking forward to firing this baby up. Any tips to breaking the smoker in...should I burn it in or just go with it?

Any suggestions for time, temp, foil and cooler for the brisket.

I was thinking trying to maintain 250F until fork tender then foiling in a cooler for an hour???

Ron, two whole schools of thought for what temp to use for brisket and other meats. Your new WSM may cook at a higher temp than you want, this usually settles down after your cooker builds up a good layer of "gunk" on the inside, especially at the joints, being the rounds. If you have time and are so inclined read the thread on HH brisket. It is my way of choice but many will differ.

Most folks if they are going to foil do so at about 160. If you are able to maintain 225-250 figure about 1.5 hrs per lb. If HH cook about 2 hrs then foil then go till done, I give about 4-5 hrs. You can wrap in foil and then towels and in a cooler for several hours with no problem.

Good luck, if you let her cook till done you will be fine and have a great meal.

Mark

Well I got it and assembled it last night. She's ready to smoke!

I also plan to smoke a 9lb turkey breast in addition to the brisket.

Looks like it's going to be a nice weekend.

Unless you've done it before, I would recommend against it, especially if you using a 'heavy' smoke wood like hickory or oak.

Your turkey is likely to come out tasting like a cigarette butt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TravisH:
Unless you've done it before, I would recommend against it, especially if you using a 'heavy' smoke wood like hickory or oak.

Your turkey is likely to come out tasting like a cigarette butt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. Could you explain?

Back