WSM Temperature problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick G

TVWBB Member
For the past 12 months, I've noticed a clear downward trend in temperatures on my WSM. I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for how to fix the problem.

I have gone through several cheap thermometers. I check them in boiling water before I smoke anything. I toss them out when they are off by more than 15 degrees.

I followed the instructions for the self-basting turkey. I fired up the WSM with 2 full chimneys of Kingsford.

When I first did a turkey (11/2003), the temperature started at 380, then dropped to 350. I started with the vents at 50% , and opened them wider as the temperature dropped. The temperature slowly decreased to 330. The turkey took 2.5 hours to reach 155 degrees in the breast.

The next time was 04/2004. The temperature started at 300. I started with the vents at 100% . The temperature stayed level at 300 for the entire cook. The turkey took 3 hours to reach 155 degrees in the breast.

The next time was 06/2004. The temperature started at 280, then dropped to 270. I started with the vents at 100%. The temperature slowly increased to 290. The turkey took 3 hours to reach 155 degrees in the breast.

The last time was 11/2004. The temperature started at 300, then dropped to 275. I started with the vents at 100%. The temperature slowly decreased to 250 and remained there. The turkey took 3.5 hours to reach 155 degrees in the breast.

Hi Rick,

I've had a similar problem recently, and so I've been wondering on this topic.

Any chance your charcoal is damp? I'm wondering if "wet" charcoal has a hard time holding the higher temps.

My guess...

Doug

Only thing I can think of is that there is less air leakage as the WSM got older. There are many other things like different charcoal, bigger bird each time, the way you lit the charcoal . . . If you're sure everything else is the same as the first cook, try opening the door some and see if it's an airflow issue. There is a guy on this site who puts the door on upside down so that he can prop it open when needed.

Doug, I'm sure my charcoal is dry.
icon_smile.gif

I store it inside the house.

Jerry, I have heard of this idea before. I guess opening the vents to 100% may not be enough.

I will try opening the door a bit next time. I already have two more 13 pound turkeys in the freezer
icon_razz.gif

Clean the inside so it's shiny and new looking. A new WSM runs hotter cause there's no build up inside. Might be a good practice to get into when doing high temp cooks without the Guru. Just my 2 cent worth.
icon_smile.gif
Bryan

I guess it is possible to get that shiny new look again. But it will be a lot of work.

I'm thinking of getting a Guru for Christmas, along with the NuTemp!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... For the past 12 months, I've noticed a clear downward trend in temperatures on my WSM. I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for how to fix the problem. ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> If you take 11/2003 out of the picture I think the remaining results could easily be explained by differences in ambient temperature and wind and other factors.

If your WSM was shiny and new for 11/2003 I think Bryan nailed the reason for the big difference on that cook. Also Jerry's point about decreased airflow due to gunk sealing things up would contribute some too.

I would however caution against running WSM with the access door open for any amount of time when not all of your charcoal lit (as with Minion Method). The debateable health issue aside I'm positive doing so blackened my first WSM turkey.

What a good idea though Bryan, thanks. I'm gonna clean mine up for the Xmas turkey cook, got 2 15lb fresh free range birds on order and I can't wait to try them with the apple brine!

If you were using Kingsford each time... it may be that what ever is making Kinsford produce more ash (in the last year) is also making it not burn as hot.
More filler?... I don't know?
icon_confused.gif

I always use Kingsford charcoal, as suggested on this board.

I had not heard about the ash problem, but I did notice LOTS of it when I cleaned out the WSM.

Rick, it's not Kingaford that is the problem! Something else is to blame, don't know what though!!

I have had my WSM since Father's Day this year, only used Kingsford(to this point)and never had any temp problems due to ash!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick G:
I always use Kingsford charcoal, as suggested on this board.

I had not heard about the ash problem, but I did notice LOTS of it when I cleaned out the WSM. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There have been discussions (Aug/Sept I think) about the large amount of ash produced by Kingsford bought this year compared to previous years. Kingsford says they have not changed anything in their process or formula.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Rick, it's not Kingaford that is the problem! Something else is to blame, don't know what though!!

I have had my WSM since Father's Day this year, only used Kingsford(to this point)and never had any temp problems due to ash!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Greg, are you trying to cook at high heat? I haven't had any temp problems when cooking low and slow either, but I have had more ash than in the past. I was simply pondering the possibility that whatever is clausing more ash might be clausing Kingsford not to burn as hot as it once might have (not that ash was the problem). You probably wouldn't see this on grills because you would get more 02 to the fire than with the WSM.
I don't know.?.?
icon_confused.gif

Chris, I cook both ways (low and high) and never had any problems! I am dilligent at kicking the legs of the WSM every so often in order to drop the collected ash to the bottom of the bowl!

DUNNO SORRY!!

Rick,

I'm a relative newby to this, but I found that the door to my WSM didn't fit very well when I bought it and had trouble managing heat at first. Once I bent it into shape, things got much better.

Perhaps through use, the door has warped and heat is leaking out.

Just a thought.

Rick -- based on fairly limited evidence, I will use lump for my short high temp cooks. Even with a 10 cfm Guru, the lump seems to respond faster and hotter.

DWolf,
My door didn't fit very well either, but I was having problems keeping temp down because air was getting in. Bent it to fit better, but the latch still doesn't hold it tight. I have since made a little gasket out of aluminum foil and that seems to have solved those problems.

Only had one issue getting up temps and cured it by adding about 1/2 chimney of lit lump. Rest of the cook went great.

It sounds like a poorly fitted door usually leads to temperatures that are too high.

I need a bit of clarification. What is the exact description I look for to buy some lump charcoal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back