WSM starting technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Good day all!
Please allow me to share my WSM starting technique for baby back ribs.

I have 1 Weber Chimney starter and 1 store bought chimney starter that is smaller than the weber.

Here goes:

1) Load up both chimney starters and light off.
2) When ash white, dump in WSM, open top vent 100%, close bottom vents, insert probe.
3) 30 mins later, add smoke wood and ribs and set vents for desired temp setting.

I have had no problem doing this so far and the temp goes right where I need it.

I deviated from the minion because it seemed like the additional coal did not take and the smoke wood did not burn up enough. I would pull out smoke wood that were only 25% burnt up after 5 hours.

Any comments on this?

When cooking anything less than 5-6 hours, I do not use the Minion Method. I use Method #1 shown on the Firing Up Your Weber Bullet page. I reserve the Minion Method for very long cooking sessions, e.g. brisket or pork butt. I know some folks use the Minion Method for every cook and just recycle the unburned briquettes, but I've never been in the habit of doing that.

Regarding the smoke wood, all that matters is that you're getting enough smokiness in your food to satisfy your taste. The chunks don't have to be completely consumed by the end of the cook. Try varying the size and number of chunks used to adjust the smokiness to taste.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back