WSM Stacker

WOOHOO!!! I just received my email notification that my order has shipped
icon_smile.gif

Rick

Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:
The ProQ units have meat hangers. Would these be any good for hanging ribs?
The ProQ Excel 20 sure looks nice!!

Do meat hangers come w/ the Smokey Mountain ProQ stacker? It doesn't show in the video, and a search on Ferd's site doesn't turn up meat hangers. I would be very interested in trying hangers.

UPS just dropped off my WSM Stacker!

Quality is very nice. The fit on the access door seems a little shaky, but I can't tell until I get it fired up.

One thing I was disappointed with... When the Stacker is in place the lid fits down over the OUTSIDE of the Stacker. Weber designed the WSM so the lid fit INSIDE the middle unit. I believe that the purpose of that was so that any grease and other gunky stuff would run down the inside of the WSM instead of down the outside.

A drawback to that concept is that when the WSM is exposed to rain without being covered the water runs down inside the WSM also.

All in all I'm pleased with this purchase. A nice addition to my "Q" lineup.
icon_smile.gif

WSMwithStacker.jpg

Lookin Nice Tom, cant wait to get my hands on mine...

Well what do you know sure enough whats sitting outside the door is a nice big box from Freds BBq. Just looking it over the cooking grate is really well put together, and the rest of teh stack fits like a glove.

Before, and after the stacker.This product seems fairly well built, but I am curious to see how well the access door seals up. I don't think it present a problem though. I will test it out tomorrow.
icon_cool.gif

Gary

I'll be sporting my ProQ hat with pride now. The smoker is crazy, love it, sorry I ever complained about how long it took to get here. My lid seems like a pretty tight fit, I had to do a little wiggling to get it on, but thats probably do to the buildup (bar-b-goo) as I've never cleaned my lid or smoker for that matter. Others have commented on the door seal, and looking at it from the inside it seems to seal very well. The only thing I noticed was that the grill "straps" if you will, are loose, I'll have to get the cresant wrench and a philips screw driver out to tighten them up. However the one with the eyelet will have to stay kind of loose, not a big deal though, I do have to say that its a MONSTER now, stands damn near to my shoulers
icon_cool.gif

Brandon

This may be wrong but I used mine upsidedown and put it on the bottom and use the top in its original configuration and has a really good seal. I dont cook with a waterpan any longer so this way works great for me it puts the grates at approx 23 and 28 inch above the coals which is perfect for drum style cooking. You will not have the added capacity using it this way but the smell and flavor is worth it. I did a test burn and my temps using lump were 235 bottom and 225 top for a good 8 hrs. I made something similar to this from a 30 gal drum last year and thats how I have been using my cooker.DRUM SMOKERS ROCK

Originally posted by Brandon A:
I'll be sporting my ProQ hat with pride now. ...
Brandon

For whatever reason mine didn't come with the hat, but that's ok, I'm not much for hats anyway. My niece was looking forward to it though. I guess I'll just have to buy her one now...

Ok, today I am smoking two racks of spares, a brisket and a butt. No better opportunity to put this thing to work. The ribs are dinner therefore they took a ride in the new front seat, and I have the brisket on the top rack of the WSM and the butt is in the rear - of course.

Temps stabilized as normal, and I pulled the ribs at six hours. The rest will hang out for a while - broken down to the standard format for the remainder of the cook. The only issue I experienced is the seating of the wsm lid to the stacker. Once a little gunk gets between the two it take a bit to get the lid off. The next time around I am going to make a aluminum foil gasket of sorts to see if it help with this issue. Perhaps a breaking in period will take care of this all together; however it's a tight fit.

I got the stacker specifically for parties and gathering, and the ability to smoke a bunch of ribs or brisket. It will get used 1 in 10 smokes, maybe a little more. It satisfies my needs with ease. Good purchase. Weber, you missed an opportunity.......

Gary

I actually ordered the Excel 20" smoker and stacker. Arrived yesterday. I'm a pilot and working until Thursday, but we happened to be in my home town this afternoon and I rushed to the house to check it out before making the next trip.

Didn't get it assembled, but did a test fit with a rib rack and some frozen baby backs. My 6 rack holder will be able to hold 6 full racks per level. So the Excel can smoke up to 18 racks, or 6 Racks, 2 Briskets and about 3 to 4 pork butts at one time!!!!!! Can't wait until next week to light it up.

Back