WSM Stacker

Originally posted by Gary Bramley:
Ok, today I am smoking two racks of spares, a brisket and a butt. No better opportunity to put this thing to work. The ribs are dinner therefore they took a ride in the new front seat, and I have the brisket on the top rack of the WSM and the butt is in the rear - of course.

Gary

Gary, whenever possible I always cook butts OVER brisket. If you haven't tried that, you should. Nothing better to baste the brisket with.

I just walked up to my stacked smoker and felt a little intimidated. I stuck my chest out a bit just in case he wanted to fight, kind of a big sucker though, might not want to mess with him
icon_wink.gif
All I have in is 10 lbs worth of butts, and I was wondering if the stacker alone fit with the charcoal bowl? If so it may be more economic fuel wise? I'd disasemble and try it but its smokin,...

Brandon

Had to work this weekend and haven't gotten a chance to use my stacker yet. A question for those who have.

How is the seal between the top of the WSM and the bottom of the stacker? When I put mine together for the first time, I noted the lid to be a good tight fit as several on here have stated. Just on visual inspection, the door seems to be tight enough as well. But the bottom of the stacker fit almost too easily onto the WSM...even seems to have a little wiggle room.

Any of you noted any air leak problems at that level?

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to try it out.

Originally posted by Lee Morris:
Had to work this weekend and haven't gotten a chance to use my stacker yet. A question for those who have.

How is the seal between the top of the WSM and the bottom of the stacker?

Lee,

I haven't cooked with mine yet, but I did notice the same fit between the bottom of the WSM and the Stacker. I'm thinking that gravity will provide a good enough seal and that after a few cooks with the Stacker, the gunk will make the seal even better.

Gotta love that bbq gunk... LOL!

My door was a bit loose, and I attribute that to the hinge. I still don't think it's going to be a problem.

I really think that the Stacker is a hit, and I agree with the previous poster who said that Weber missed a good opportunity.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful thing if Weber stepped up and made a 22" WSM with a 22" Stacker option? Even if it cost $500 it would be a winner for sure.

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:

One thing I was disappointed with... When the Stacker is in place the lid fits down over the OUTSIDE of the Stacker. Weber designed the WSM so the lid fit INSIDE the middle unit. I believe that the purpose of that was so that any grease and other gunky stuff would run down the inside of the WSM instead of down the outside.

A drawback to that concept is that when the WSM is exposed to rain without being covered the water runs down inside the WSM also.

All in all I'm pleased with this purchase. A nice addition to my "Q" lineup.
icon_smile.gif

I think weber knew what they were doing on this one, after my first cook I have bar-b-goo running down the sides of my wsm. Its completely sealed the lid and stacker together. I'll have to use a screwdriver to get them apart...hopefully this isnt typical, or I'll have to some modification. Like flip the sucker over and drill new holes for the grill straps so theyre back at the top....hmmm.

Brandon

Since I flipped mine and put it on the bottom I went ahead and rigged it back up for the waterpan an a third grate took 6 "L" brackets and 15 min. Just put them where you want and your WSM will operate as normal with no sticky lid problem,as far as the door its taped shut with aluminum tape on it. Now I can run 3 grates and the water pan or 2 grates and have my "Little Drum Smoker" which is my prefered method. I have a UDS for big cooks now I have the best of both worlds. Just my 2 cents

Well used my Stacker on Saturday worked real well. I have an out of round issue on my WSM so when I put the stacker seated onto my WSM cooking section there was a loose fit going on at that level. Once I started it up and begin to smoke surprisingly there was no smoke coming out at that junction point. The Stacker access door was a nice fit as well with minimal smoke escaping actually it was allot less than the access door on my WSM. Like some previous posters have said the stacker to lid junction point got hard a few times to take apart. I never had to resort to using a screw driver (watch out for that porcelain finish). I however just used one of my gloves grabbed the handle on one side of the stacker pulled down and with the other hand on the lid handle pulled up they came apart no problem. All in all I am extremely pleased with the product and Im real glad I picked one up.

Picked mine up Friday at Fred's haven't used it yet. Before I do, have to say I really like Gregg's idea of using it on the bottom when I do.

Probably will do the conversion right away. I would say the only thing I don't like about it is the lid seal method as mentioned above. Other than that seems to be pretty good quality. I like the way they build the door to be more self sealing than the Weber door.

Probably won't be using the stacker other than when I actually need the space. The idea of using on the bottom is a great concept.

Fred's is pretty cool lot's of stuff there for the size of the building. Picked up an 18" round cast iron grate for the Performer. And a couple of Raichlen grill lifters. Got a good look at both the Pro Q models as well as the Primo's and BGE's. There was also a Kamodo there.

Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:
The ProQ units have meat hangers. Would these be any good for hanging ribs?
The ProQ Excel 20 sure looks nice!!

Good question. Once of the reasons I bought the stacker was to be able to hang fish, sausage, pork loin, or other long stuff from the lid for smoking/cold smoking. I took a look at the fish hanger in the Excel to get an idea. I may either order a fish hook kit or make one, not sure yet.

Actually their website says you can in in some of the pictures they do show ribs hanging.

Fish Hangers

Originally posted by Dudley Rose:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:
The ProQ units have meat hangers. Would these be any good for hanging ribs?
The ProQ Excel 20 sure looks nice!!

Do meat hangers come w/ the Smokey Mountain ProQ stacker? It doesn't show in the video, and a search on Ferd's site doesn't turn up meat hangers. I would be very interested in trying hangers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They come with the Excel and are an option for the Frontier. They are a listed accessory in the Pro Q manuals/catalog. Product code QA-0371 listed as "fish hangers".

Fish Hangers

The screw driver is def not going to work, I thought I could be gentle about it but no. I stopped before I did any real damage. I guess my next plan of action is to get the performer good and hot and set the stacker/lid of my wsm on the charcoal grate and melt the goo out.

So my question is, will it fit together this way, bottom up
1.charcoal bowl
2.upside down stacker (L brackets moved)
3.wsm middle section
4.lid
is that what you guys are talking about? If so I'll def be doing this once I get things apart again
icon_frown.gif

I got a pic, get a load of this
IMG_0681.jpg

Brandon

When using the Stacker in this configuration (upside down stacker on bottom), did you mount the water pan in the upside down stacker or leave it in the wsm middle section?

The ProQ Excel 20 box, and the WSM box, have been staring at me for days now. Taunting me. Sitting in my family room just begging me to break them open so that they could get out, streatch their handles, and breath free. Though I had been waiting for my new video camera to arrive (to well document the unpacking/building process); the camera has yet to arrive, but I just couldn't take it any longer. I had to open one of them up tonight...having never seen a ProQ Excel, it was opened first.

Within half an hour of arriving home from work, I armed myself with a knife, a screwdriver, a wrench, my camera, and a load of enthusiasm for freeing the ProQ Excel 20 from it's cardboard confines. Fewer than thirty minutes later the shiney new Excel was built and breathing fresh Midwestern U.S. air for the first time.

It would have taken less time, but there were a couple of issues (which I'll go into more with the final report in a few weeks) with figuring out the right nut/bolt/washer configuration. Nonetheless, it is finally together and ready for battle.

I'm gonna tease a little bit here by only offering a few pictures, but the full report will have MANY more pictures.

All the pieces...out of the box...
100_3030.JPG

Out of the box standard...
100_3036.JPG

With the added Stacker...
100_3037.JPG

It's nearly alive...just need to add some heat...but it will have to wait until I get the WSM out of the box and put together. Hopefully this week.

Sorry Mike,yes I mounted it in staker with 3 L brackets you can still use it the way it was made they dont get in the way now you can have a multi way of using the stacker depending on you cook also I mounted the 3rd grate in the wsm

Back