WSM Smoking Question

BWalker

TVWBB Member
So I just got my 18.5" WSM today. I'm looking at an all-day cook Saturday with either a brisket or a pork butt on the bottom grate and various other shorter-cook items (whole chicken, fatty, wings, etc) on the top grate. The thing I'm curious about is just how long can a fully loaded 18.5" WSM go (minion method) before needing to be refueled? I have a Brinkmann pan being delivered tomorrow to give me additional room, so I was just curious as to what you folks know of as "max" cooking times (assume around 230*) for the 18.5" model. Thanks!

I have done 13 hours....it also depends on weather.

and how many coals you toss on the pile for minion. not all chimneys are equal. don't flay me, but my chimney is not the weber. it's a cheapo I bought in haste before I knew better. it works, but aside from the volume difference(weber will hold more), the floor design is different. mine has holes stamped into sheet metal whereas the weber seems to be a coil/concentric circle design. it is my firm belief that not only is the weber chimney larger, it's probably more efficient than mine considering the increased air flow difference from floor design. so, more coals going hotter minion method will result in hotter temps and more charcoal burned.

So I just got my 18.5" WSM today. I'm looking at an all-day cook Saturday with either a brisket or a pork butt on the bottom grate and various other shorter-cook items (whole chicken, fatty, wings, etc) on the top grate. The thing I'm curious about is just how long can a fully loaded 18.5" WSM go (minion method) before needing to be refueled? I have a Brinkmann pan being delivered tomorrow to give me additional room, so I was just curious as to what you folks know of as "max" cooking times (assume around 230*) for the 18.5" model. Thanks!

If you fully fill the charcoal ring, and use about 20 burning coals in the center, you should be able to get about 12 hours or so at BBQ temperatures. There is an assumption that the weather is fair with no rain, high wind, and at least upper 60's.

Like the others have said should be good for 12 hours maybe more. Your smoker is new and will likely run hotter the first few times out until it seals up some with residue better known as "gunk". Your idea of cooking a butt on the bottom is better than a brisket first time out. You will have some great eating if you cook what you have planned.
You were wise to get the Brinkman pan, they work well and starting out with water is a good basis for learning your cooker.:wsm:

It varies. but 12 hours is a good starting estimate. Shake the ashes off or gentle stir the coals at the 10-12hr mark and see what's left. I did #2 pork butts a few night ago that took almost 14hrs and I still had quite a few unused coals left. I think I could have gone 18hrs or more without refueling. That cook was under ideal weather conditions though. Usually I can't go that long.

With 15 lbs of pork butt, I consistently get 14+ hours. Longest I have done without refueling is 16.

I fill the ring to the top, add 3 wood chunks and 20ish lit. Adjusted for wind/rain and the outdoor temp.

YMMV.

Just to let you know, getting down to 230 may be hard to do with a new WSM. I am on my 4th smoke with my WSM, and now just getting down to 275. That is with my vents barely open, and I mean barely open. The lid vent is 3/4 open.

Adding charcoal isn't a badge of shame or anything. You'll be able to see the charcoal and know if it needs more. When it burns down and looks like you need more, add a handful and spread them around, it's not a big deal.

I don't like the idea of putting chicken over top of pork or beef. I'm sure people do it but I've always done pork over chicken. If you have a table or other grill and gloves it is easy enough to lift out the top rack to reach into the bottom rack. Depending on the size of the butt you might have room to do everything on the top rack anyway. I recommend a butt or chicken for everybody's first WSM experience. Pretty hard to screw those two up.

Back