WSM Residue issuse

Josh Hunt

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum so please forgive me this question has been asked and I've missed it in my search.

I got a new WSM 18 last fall and have used it only a handful of times. I noticed on the last 2 smokes it has built up some kind of very thick, shiny, and sticky residue on the inside of the smoker. It has gotten to the point that it will only loosen up after the temp of the smoker gets to about 275. The lid sticks so bad, that I have to pound on the side of the lid just to loosen it enough to take it off. This residue seems to be all over the inside of the lid and the mid section of the smoker. I do my best to keep my smoker clean but one day this stuff appeared and now I'm having trouble getting it off the inside of my smoker. So, I'm looking for any insight of what might be causing it and, more importantly, how to get it out of my smoker. Thanks in advance.

Josh

Welcome Josh.

What you have is a build up of grease and cooking residual, wood smoke, etc.
Can you do anything about it? No, it is natural part of the cooking process and is viewed as seasoning. You can keep the lid from sticking by leaving it off after cooking, leaving the lid ajar up on the flange it sets in or slightly propping it open. You can get more here:

Last edited:
I wiped mine down after every cook and I placed a gasket on the flange where the lids it so it doesn’t stick at all anymore that’s something to consider

Always keep the mating surfaces clean. I occasionally use some dilute Simple Green.
Same here, especially after pork butt. I just wipe the lip of the lid and the smoker with a paper towel and sometimes some Simple Green, and it doesn't stick later when it cools down.

Jeff, why remove the thermometer? When you do your burn to clean does your WSM get that hot? Hot enough to destroy the thermo? Curious. Thank you.
The first time I did a high heat burn the needle locked to the right for several hours.
I figured that might not be a good thing for an inexpensive thermometer.
It probably isn’t necessary to remove it but it only takes a minute or two.

Back