WSM Pork

Mike Stevenson

TVWBB Super Fan
I cooked a pork butt last night on my WSM.

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Mike,

Good looking PP there. What did you use for a rub? Did you make shallow slices across the butt? Looks that way in one of the pics. An interesting way to get more bark! I did one myself 2 days ago for my in laws. They came in from North Carolina and still insist the best PP is found in TX (my house of course
icon_cool.gif
).

Paul

Grill marks...hmmm...maybe I can claim a new technique! A light score to increase surface area thus maximizing bark...

Paul

How do you do the shredded/pulled part? How long do you wait and how do you physically do the shredding/pulling so that it turns out like that?

Thanks,

Russ

Looks great, Mike! I'd take a plate of that any day. I also like toasted buns.

And Russ, to answer your questions - I usually let my pork butts rest, wrapped in foil in the microwave, for at least an hour, closer to two if I have the time. Then I unwrap it, cut the twine off (I always tie my butts), remove the bone and use two forks (the meat is still too hot to touch at this point), stick them in and pull in opposite directions to pull the pork. Rinse and repeat until I'm done and happy with the size of the shreds.

Edit: This isn't the best pic in the world, but it does show me in the actual process of pulling the pork. I was the focus of the picture, not the meat, so you can't see much, but I hope it helps.

Chris A., I tried to hotlink the pic, but I guess I grabbed the wrong link from the host site. If the pic is hogging too much bandwidth, remove it and I'll try hotlinking again.

Thanks Chris!

Mike -> could you give a novice some details:
Size of shoulder?
How long at 225?
Temp history?
How long in the cooler?

Thanks!

Sure, Russ:

Size of shoulder? About 7 pounds (kinda small)
How long at 225? About 11 hours
Temp history? Steady
How long in the cooler? About an hour

Back