WSM / Pork Shoulder help

george winters

TVWBB Member
Second try on WSM -- been solid 225 for approx 5 hours now. Bone in Pork Shoulder had been stuck at 152 F for say last 45 minutes ? is this normal - I've had weber thermomator in meat since i put it on 5 hours ago . its approx 5 1/2 lbs shoulder == does it generally stall out for while thanks

yes, very normal.
it'll take off... it could stay there another hour... butt yes, very normal.
george, wanna beer?

thansk jim . im thinking of increasing the temp to 250F - and might have a ceaser or a beer also - and i need some sun way way up north your way cheers

George, very normal. However, if you're concerned about your probe, boil some water and take the temp of your water. Should read around 212 depending on your location.

thanks -- leaving it - i think it works - -just getting impatience little - - wanting to pull this baby for supper in 3 hours -- cheers

What Jim Said !..

Quite normal, mine shoulders always stahl, and like Jim noted, it may stay there for a couple of hours!...

Bumping the temp to 250 is not going to hurt, shoulders are very forgiving. (I get impatient during the obligatory temperture stahl!) I sometimes bump the temp, but only if my finish time is critical, otherwise I just wait it out if I have the time, it will overcome the stahl.

(of course, if you have a bad thermometer, it will mess your head up!... and drive you crazy...)

thanks 2 all - it just corked to 153 F . so upward and on ward -- further comment -- im thinking of leaving it till 193F ish - then wrap in foil and put back on for 1/2 hour? ive read this way to do it? any comments great

If you're wanting to eat in 3 hours you'd better crank up the heat on her. Don't know how big she is but let's say she's around 8 lbs, from 152 to done you've easily got another 5 - 6 hours ahead of you, even at 250. If you're not in it now you've still got a plateau to go through. Reason I don't think you're in it now is 152 is a little early to be in the plateau, early but still possible I suppose. I've had that size of butts sit in the plateau for hours.

thanks LR -- it was just over 5 1/2 lbs bone in -- so figures 1 1/2 per lb. may 8 hours -- i put on at 10 am. . will be paitence -- late nite snack after kids in bed -- thanks again

If you want to speed it up you could foil it now. You wont have as good a bark though.

You must be in Canada. Usually only Canadians drink Caesar's .

haha -- after i think about it - ur right , its not ceaser -- its bloody mary in USD -- yes i am cdn -- but we are all bbq'ers -- heading to cdn capital in few weeks -- first time -- hear its nice -- thanks -- at 156 F now -- so slow

Back