WSM Outside?

AlanK

I live in NJ and was wondering if it would be okay to leave my WSM outside during the summer and fall seasons, with a cover of course? I am not sure if it would rust, etc. Thanks!

Both of my wsms are outside year around. I place trash bags over them and then the cover. The cover will leak. I leave everything inside. If you burn off your grates hit them with a little Pam and they won't rust. Always clean out the bowl.

I leave the smoker outside but keep the innards inside. As was stated above it will leak if you leave it assembled in the conventional way, but if you turn the centre section upside-down that will help quite a bit. I also put a heavy duty contractor's garbage bag over it. Same one's worked well for 3 years now.

Mine stays outside year round. Usually covered in the winter, but not always in the summer. I keep it under an over hang on our garage, so it does not get water in if it rains. I leave the guts in it but usually open the vents a bit so air can flow through it. No problems in the past 2 years.

Last edited:
I keep mine out in the summer....always clean it the day after I use it, and keep it covered. It rains a lot here, and mine is in great shape!

My 18.5" WSM stays outside all year. I use the cover that came with it but applied tent seam sealer to the seams. Over a year now and no problems.

My WSM and grills all live outside. They are under the carport, but no covers on them. I've had them all for years now, the WSM for 6 years, and it's lived in the same place, and it's in the same condition as when I bought it. They've all been rained on a time or two, but never really soaked per se.

Since purchasing my 22" WSM back in February I have kept it outside with a garbage bag over it, then the weber cover over that. I always clean my WSM within 12-24 hours of a cook. I leave all the stuff inside once it's cleaned, cover it, and have it ready to go for the next cook. I plan on leaving it outside for the winter and expect no problems. Chicago winters can be harsh at times, but it shouldn't be a big deal. I feel ashamed to say this, but I have had a 22" OTG kettle out on the patio for the past 9 years with no cover on it what so ever and it still looks great and has no rust on it.
The Weber's shouldn't really rust unless the porcelain coating has been scratched, dinged, or compromised in some way. Grates on the other hand are a different story, especially if water leaks into the grills, but it shouldn't take much to prevent that.

Weber porcelain enamel means no issues with rust, and the only reason I've put my smokers in the shed was when we were recently having a new roof put on.

I use covers part of the time to help keep the dust off, but no issues with water leaks in my bullets as long as I put the middle section on upside down and shut my top vents, regardless whether I put the cover on or not. Just be sure to leave the bottom vents open to prevent mold.

My next kettle grate will be the stainless one, but so far, no issues with my bullet grates rusting. Guess I get my kettle grates too clean, but spraying Pam on the grates is a great idea, as someone already suggested.

Last edited:
I have had my 18.5" WSM outside for 6 years.I cover it with a 22.5" premium kettle cover( it doesn't leak) also both of my grates are the stainless steel grates form weber.com.

My wsm and kettles are outside all the time.

When it rains I'll move one on to the porch if need be but The Chief doesn't like that too much as she fears the smoke will discolor the trim...

Mine stays oustside, covered up. I've had no issues. I make sure my pan, grates and ash are all clean before I put it away

In Jersey, my OTG and WSM live outside as well, well covered year round. Keep the vents open on the WSM; otherwise it may get funky green inside during the humid summer months. If this happens, just fire her up and burn that stuff out. The occasional casual cleaning works too. Keep the grates oiled, vents open.

Back