WSM or horizontal barrel smoker?

Jim Mathews

TVWBB Member
Currently, when I smoke (ribs, pulled pork, etc) I use my Weber 26.75 inch kettle. I have that working pretty well.

But I'm looking to move up to a dedicated low-and-slow toy. My first thought was a 22.5 inch WSM, but I am also drawn to those horizontal barrel smokers that I see on TV. I have looked at a few websites (Lang, Klose, Horizon), and what I want would be in the $1500 range, plus shipping, which I have to believe is outrageously expensive.

Any suggestions? I usually smoke every other weekend, usually for between 5 - 15 people. I am in CT, can't seem to find anyone in the Northeast who builds these things.

Jim,

This is the WSM website so expect most advice here to lean towards the Weber. I've cooked on both offsets and the WSM and gotten similar results. For me, the tie breaker has been the amount of effort and expense involved. The WSM, once dialed in requires basically no tending. It is also relatively miserly with charcoal consumption and cleanup is a breeze. The learning process is also simple and uniform results are easy to attain. Not so much with the offsets in my experience.

Jim,

This is the WSM website so expect most advice here to lean towards the Weber. I've cooked on both offsets and the WSM and gotten similar results. For me, the tie breaker has been the amount of effort and expense involved. The WSM, once dialed in requires basically no tending. It is also relatively miserly with charcoal consumption and cleanup is a breeze. The learning process is also simple and uniform results are easy to attain. Not so much with the offsets in my experience.

What Mike said.... I'm still learning my 22.5" WSM as it was my first charcoal cooking device of any kind. It is easy to use and to develop a consistent and repeatable prep, cook and cleanup process. Cleaning is a pita when you compare it to a gas grill. A full ring and chimney starter is 16lbs of charcoal and that will get me 8-12 hrs of steady L&S temp. I modded it by adding 2 grommets for the Maverick ET-732 probes. Since I'm a weekend smoker, I usually pull at 8-9 hrs then finish off in my Genesis.

I looked at the Traeger wood pellet smoker/grills when sold at Costco. They looked easy to use and clean-up but the Lil' Tex was out of my price range. However, I'm glad I waited and got the WSM. If I were to do it all over again, I would have bought the 18.5 WSM, I feed my 3 young kids and then give away meat to my neighbors. However smoking 17 lb briskets is a breeze on the 22.5"

My WSM cost $399 delivered to the door. Use that $1101 to buy meat to christen your WSM and throw a party.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Many of us WSM converts came from offset smokers that were complete nightmares to tend to. Even 10k offsets require constant attention. Trailer pits look awesome, but they are def not the easiest cookers to work with.

Me thinks the next step up from a wsm are the insulated verticals

The 22.5 wsm is so easy to control. I don't have anything to compare it to but the only thing easier would have to be a gas/electric smoker. I do all night smokes without waking up and checking on it anymore.

Besides helping my 9 year daughter assembling the smoker I'm going to let her do a complete set of ribs from start to finish, from pulling the membrane to adjusting the vents( which usually consists of one adjustment after getting the temp up).

Long story short I recommend the 22.5 wsm.

Trailer pits look awesome, but they are def not the easiest cookers to work with.

I hate admitting this, but I also think they look awesome. Look should only matter to the female of the species. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 22.5 WSM. The other reason I was thinking horizontal offset was that I'm interested in trying small, whole pigs.

Glad to help. It's a pretty neat cook. My wife would have nothing to do with the presentation but..... pork doesn't grow on styrofoam trays:rolleyes:

What's with "or" ?

This is what I really love about web forums. :) We give really good free advice on how to spend your hard earned money. I also belong to a Nikon camera forum for free advice and have spent a small fortune... :eek:

I would love a stick burner, but living in New Mexico now and I am surrounded by a forest of pine but no hard wood, something to think about. In Texas, you can't walk 20 feet without running into a pecan, mesquite or oak tree. Better check the availability of smoking wood in your neck of the woods.

Back