WSM: buy new or used ?

RichieNJ

TVWBB Fan
So I'm in the market for a new WSM 18". A friend if mine has a used 18" (maybe used 15 times) that is about 5 years old. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy a new one for $300 or make him an offer for his. He has the cover, chimney starter and maybe 1 other accessory that he would throw in. What would you guys do? What would be a fair price to offer him? Are there many differences between a 6 year old WSM as opposed to the 2014 model?
I appreciate your opinions.

Richie

Thanks Tony. So I guess feature/design wise that there really isn't a difference huh?

I think the new one has a silicone grommet for your temp probes. And may have a temp gauge on lid. I have none of that. I can still make decent bbq.

I think the new one has a silicone grommet for your temp probes. And may have a temp gauge on lid. I have none of that. I can still make decent bbq.

Thanks for the replies. Im going to look at my buddies this weekend. As long as it isn't banged up and rusted I'll offer him $150.
Either way I just want a WSM! I'm so impatient. Lol

New is nice, but my 08/ 18.5" WSM works fine and nothing about the newer features would interest me to do an upgrade.:wsm:
Your choice tho and you can't go wrong either way..

Tim

Sounds like money isn't the concern. If you are wabbling now get the new one. When you are on your 7th or 8th you will be ok with a used one. Know anyone with a used 22.5? I am looking :)

Oh yeah , if the used one is clean and tight and you can get it for 150 , I would go for it. You can spend the money you save on some pork butts and brisket.

If money is no object, I like to buy new. However, for $150, you will be able to cook just as good BBQ as you would with new. It's a choice - one of personality more than the function of the unit. If money is kind of an issue, the extra money you save on the used one can buy some important things plus, new isn't exactly $300 if you have to buy the things your friend will throw in. For the money saved, you can buy a Thermapen. That's a really nice thing to have. You're call but I think you'll be happy either way.

If money is no object, I like to buy new. However, for $150, you will be able to cook just as good BBQ as you would with new. It's a choice - one of personality more than the function of the unit. If money is kind of an issue, the extra money you save on the used one can buy some important things plus, new isn't exactly $300 if you have to buy the things your friend will throw in. For the money saved, you can buy a Thermapen. That's a really nice thing to have. You're call but I think you'll be happy either way.

Thank you everyone for your insight. Money isn't really the deciding factor, More I guess Of which makes more sense. I'll probably pick my buddies up if it isn't banged up and buy some goodies with the change. I already have a thermopen which is great! May end up getting some accessories for my genny if nothing else.

Are there many differences between a 6 year old WSM as opposed to the 2014 model?
Richie

From the main page...

EDIT - the copy/paste of the text didn't work so well. But here's the difference between the 08 and 09+ models
http://virtualweberbullet.com/history.html

For me, it would have to depend on how good of a buddy he was and the condition said buddy kept it in. I live in an area where there's a lot of people turnover, so I see newer grills all the time. I got my 2013 WSM at an estate sale for $100 not long ago. Personally, I think a hunnert bucks is fair. But if he's a good friend and takes decent care of his stuff - 150 ain't bad either.

Last edited:
I would buy the used one and spend the saved dollars on accessories (remote thermometer, insulated gloves, chimney starter, etc).
Ray

I bought three smokers used and in great condition. Two 18's and a 22. I re-sold the 22 and the first 18. In some ways I liked the older model 18 better for no real reason other than the water pan. I don't like the big pan on the new ones, I use a Brinkman with water when I use it otherwise if I were foiling an empty pan I would prefer the older style. As for the door latch, I never had an issue with my old style. I did my own thermometer mods on the old style as well. If you are not that way inclined then get the new one.

Back