WSM as a stick burner ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB All-Star
What Kolman is doing is interesting. Its similar to what Aaron Franklin wrote about in his steak book. Franklin puts a split across the middle of his PK grill to insulate his indirect zone from heat of the coals, but the split also provides smoke.

I wonder how long Kolman's set up would maintain temp ? Does he cook at 275 * ?

I would guess there's still a good part of that split unburned at the end of the cook.

No doubt Kolman knows what he's doing, but I don't like the idea of ever shutting the top vent, not even a little. To me, that's just backing up smoke and cutting down what little air flow the WSM can generate.

And oh yeah, bout forgot, in that first vid he puts a graphic up that says he added a split every 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder how long Kolman's set up would maintain temp ? Does he cook at 275 * ?

And oh yeah, bout forgot, in that first vid he puts a graphic up that says he added a split every 30 minutes.
Kevin and Dustin cooked overnight using this setup in both 18" and 22" WSMs. But I think they were down in the 225-250°F range.

My apologies to the video author, I missed that graphic. I'll go back and correct my post above.

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB All-Star
I would also guess there's much of that split remaining at the end of Kolman's method. And that method would provide smoke for the entire cook, as opposed to chunks burning up completely early on.

Oak for smoking meats is hard to find here, any variety of oak. When my woodlot gets oak, the guy says he has no idea what variety it is, says there's 10,000 different varieties of oak. Pecan and hickory are plentiful, however , and I use pecan for my brisket. Happy with that.