WSM as a grill...

Kurt

TVWBB Pro
Still awfully new to WSM use as a smoker let alone a charcoal grill... Wanted to make a few burgers on WSM set up as a charcoal grill... All pointers and advice is needed ...

Figured 6-8 burgers.... Would one chimney of lit charcoal be ample? Anything else ?

Lets go Bucs... I am headed to the game on Saturday vs . Nationals..

As a side note.I am hoping they still serve the pulled pork sandwich with Pierogies on top... I got them last year as the sandwich of the year and they were pretty good... I also plan on visiting manny sanguillen and his charcoal pit in the left field area for a picture and autograph... The kids love going out there and seeing him

You could also just remove the water bowl, and use the middle or top grate. The distance from the coals is enough so you don't have to worry about flare-ups.
One chimney is plenty and I would add a small chunk of Oak or Cherry.

Tim

I have used my WSM as a grill from day one. I've basically used the 'Little Black Egg' setup from the linky that Russell provided. One bonus is that you can rotate the grate with ease if it's sitting on the fire ring.

When smoking chicken I normally finish on the little black egg to crisp the skin. Kind of a reverse sear for chicken. Works great.

Take charcoal grate and place where middle grilling grate sits. Add charcoal and start grilling its that easy with excellent results:wsm:.

I just grilled some chicken legs on my WSM a couple days ago. Turned out great. With the water bowl out and the vents wide open I easily reached 450+ at the top grate and like mentioned before the distance prevents flare-ups.

Back