WSM 22" Stick Burner Method

Emilio Roy

Hello. Recently I tried using the WSM as a stick burner. The results were excellent. So I wanted to share my method.
INB4 "WSM is set it and forget it. Why would you ever want to go through the hassle of smoking real wood."
Well the answer is simple: taste. The conventional WSM restricts airflow and while it provides a stable and long smoke, the flavour is not the best.

Step 1: Raise heat shield to increase airflow.
I lowered the handle to allow the door to lock in place.
You want to use the original door. Don't use an aftermarket SS door.
wsm1.jpg

Step 2: Crack lid to increase airflow.
Increase the gap until the fire burns thin and blue.
wsm2.jpg

Step 3: Fire Management
I advise using both real wood and lump charcoal.
The charcoal provides a nice foundation that helps light new wood and decreases the time between adding wood chunks or splits.
Keep the temperature between 250-275F. If you try smoking around 225, it'll be difficult to light new splits.
I would also advise using a digital thermometer to measure temperature at gate level.
Obviously fill the water pan.
wsm3.jpg

wsm stick burner.png

Step 4: Spritz and Enjoy
This was a Wal-Mart brisket so it's not prime but the flavour was by far the best I've had on the WSM.
It had a light clean smoke flavour.
This method is my new go-to smoking method.
It's more work but the flavour is much cleaner.

wsm4.jpg

Additional Mods
My next mod will be add a middle rack. The lower rack doesn't work well with this method because too much water steams the underside of the meat. Raising the meat will help with lower level cooking.

Last edited:
I see no reason why that won't work well, but why not just get a cheap offset stick burner ? Like an Old Country Pecos or pick up a used stick burner.

Super interesting idea and looks like it came out good! Nice work!

As someone who has both a WSM and an offset there are certainly tradeoffs, but I think both have their advantages and I love them both. I picked up my 1/4" offset for under $400 on fb marketplace and I would recommend anyone interested in a quality offset buy used. Mine will last me my whole life if I take care of it.

I see no reason why that won't work well, but why not just get a cheap offset stick burner ? Like an Old Country Pecos or pick up a used stick burner.
Because I already have a weber smokey mountain and space.

Super interesting idea and looks like it came out good! Nice work!

As someone who has both a WSM and an offset there are certainly tradeoffs, but I think both have their advantages and I love them both. I picked up my 1/4" offset for under $400 on fb marketplace and I would recommend anyone interested in a quality offset buy used. Mine will last me my whole life if I take care of it.
There are no affordable 1/4" offsets in my area.
I'm not sure it's even worth getting a cheap offset because the WSM 22" is a pretty good stick burner and it has a large capacity.
I would want a really high quality offset if I was upgrading.

I agree about the high quality offsets. My first offset was terrible, made with cheap thin metal and had a horrible design. I got so frustrated with it I almost gave up on offsets. I am so glad I did not as using an offset smoker is now probably my favorite cooking method.

I will say it comes to capacity and versatility, the WSM is super hard to beat!

I think that's a pretty cool method you have there, Emilio, and it seems to work well for you!! Way back when I was trying to teach myself to BBQ, I got convinced I had to have a stick burner. Well, let's just say that even with the best stick burner, if you don't know what you're doing, you can produce some catastrophic BBQ! :)

I'm an EZ-Q, pellet burner now, but if I still had my WSM, I'd give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

R

I agree about the high quality offsets. My first offset was terrible, made with cheap thin metal and had a horrible design. I got so frustrated with it I almost gave up on offsets. I am so glad I did not as using an offset smoker is now probably my favorite cooking method.

I will say it comes to capacity and versatility, the WSM is super hard to beat!
The Old Country Brazos has 917 (639 lower + 277 upper) sq in of cooking space.
I would assume that the space near the firebox can't be used so it the true capacity is maybe 75-80% of that max.
The 22" WSM has 1089 (3 grate mod) sq in of cooking space.
So the WSM is close to 50% more cooking space.
The space can be increased even further through different mods like hanging ribs or 4th grate.
Capacity is one major reason I didn't buy a small offset.

Last edited:
Additional Mods
My next mod will be add a middle rack. The lower rack doesn't work well with this method because too much water steams the underside of the meat. Raising the meat will help with lower level cooking.
Maybe you can just put a pizza pan over the water pan. I do. Steam still comes out some how as the water does evaporate but will not be right at the bottom of the meat.

Maybe you can just put a pizza pan over the water pan. I do. Steam still comes out some how as the water does evaporate but will not be right at the bottom of the meat.
I'll try that.

I was experimenting today and I discovered the 22" kettle hinged grate fits in the lower section and sits on top of the nuts rather than the bracket so it lifts the meat up. I'll try that first.

I also purchased the Cajun Bandit 3 grate bracket. So I'll try experimenting with that too.

First of all, I'm all for doing what you enjoy. If this works for you, more power to you. Have fun experimenting!

Personally, I disagree with the statement that the WSM does not provide adequate flavor. That's a matter of opinion, of course. I prefer a lighter smoke flavor, not a stronger one, and I find I get plenty of smoke using inexpensive charcoal briquets + a number of smoke wood chunks. One of the common mistake that newbies make is oversmoking meat, so a method that puts more smoke flavor on meat is not high on my list when trying to help people learn how to barbecue. But as they say, in matters of taste, there can be no argument! You like what you like, you do what works for you.

I have recently tried using a single 12" long split piece of post oak wood in the 18.5" WSM surrounded by unlit briquets and a lit chimney of charcoal spread over the top. Worked fine, didn't oversmoke the meat, but I can't say it tasted better than my usual method of the past 25 years of WSM use.

I'm glad you're having success with this method. Over the years, I've heard more negative comments than positive ones from people burning logs, split pieces, or wood chunks only in the WSM.

Last edited:
Totally agree with what Chris said.
I have yet to hear of a competitive bbq team using the WSM as a log burner and winning comps.
Yet WSMs are winning competition after competition...

Last edited:
First of all, I'm all for doing what you enjoy. If this works for you, more power to you. Have fun experimenting!

Personally, I disagree with the statement that the WSM does not provide adequate flavor. That's a matter of opinion, of course. I prefer a lighter smoke flavor, not a stronger one, and I find I get plenty of smoke using inexpensive charcoal briquets + a number of smoke wood chunks. One of the common mistake that newbies make is oversmoking meat, so a method that puts more smoke flavor on meat is not high on my list when trying to help people learn how to barbecue. But as they say, in matters of taste, there can be no argument! You like what you like, you do what works for you.

I have recently tried using a single 12" long split piece of post oak wood in the 18.5" WSM surrounded by unlit briquets and a lit chimney of charcoal spread over the top. Worked fine, didn't oversmoke the meat, but I can't say it tasted better than my usual method of the past 25 years of WSM use.

I'm glad you're having success with this method. Over the years, I've heard more negative comments than positive ones from people burning logs, split pieces, or wood chunks only in the WSM.
Every video on YouTube comparing the WSM to Offsets and Pallet grills have the WSM losing because the smoke flavour isn't clean. Every video. After trying this method, I agree with those videos. The stock low airflow charcoal configuration doesn't provide a clean smoke flavour and it makes it difficult to eat large qualities of meat in a single serving.

I've done this method twice, once for brisket and once for picnic and spareribs and both times have been the best BBQ I've made on the WSM. Before I would struggle to eat 3 ribs, now I can eat an entire rack. For reference, I like to smoke on the weekends eat about a lb or so each day over the week.

I've tried using chunks in the stock configuration, both on top and below the lump, and I disliked it because it didn't burn clean. Sure you will get a smoke flavour but the smoke will be white and kinda acrid. I think the people who had problems using the WSM as a stick burner were likely using the 14" and 18" models but it's not that hard on the 22" model with basic fire management techniques. Try my method. You'll taste the difference. It's night and day.

Every video on YouTube comparing the WSM to Offsets and Pallet grills have the WSM losing because the smoke flavour isn't clean. Every video.
But again, that is someone's opinion. How many YouTube reviewers are we talking about? 5 people? 500 people? I have no clue.

Just as a counterpoint, all three WSMs--14", 18", and 22"--have been used as-is, in stock configuration, burning charcoal and wood chunks to win countless KCBS-sanctioned barbecue contests for 40 years all over the world, with meats tasted by way more judges than YouTube reviewers.

I'm just saying...it's a matter taste and opinion, not a matter of fact. I'm glad that you found a method of using the WSM that solved your problem of oversmoked meat so you can now eat more than 3 ribs. That's not a problem I've ever had with my WSM and not a problem for many WSM owners.

My biggest concern is that I don't want people thinking that the WSM is somehow deficient right out of the box because a few YouTube "experts" say so...that when used as directed with charcoal and wood chunks, with the lid and access door closed, that it produces foul-tasting barbecue. That is not the experience for most owners. In fact, we hear from some pellet grill owners that their smokers do not produce adequate smoke flavor. When I visited Franklin BBQ in Austin (twice) and ate his award-winning brisket, I marveled at how it had virtually no smoke flavor. If that's what's meant by "clean" flavor, I guess maybe I like a little more smoke flavor on my barbecued meats.

OK, I'm going to step back from this thread, I've probably said too much. I'll let others share their opinions. Emilio, thank you for sharing your method, I hope that others find it interesting and maybe helpful.

Best,
Chris

Last edited:
I've never used a stick burner. But I have heard folks on here talk about how you need to have a lot of air flow in an offset smoker in order to get the wood to burn cleanly.

A WSM and other vertical smokers have a much more controlled air environment. Hence all the posts about adding gaskets and other things in order to plug air leaks and control temps.

So if you wanted to burn primarily wood in a WSM, Emilio's method would seem to make sense. Since he's opening up the top and bottom of the WSM to increase airflow going through the wood primary fuel source.

Totally separate question of whether burning wood in a high airflow environment produces a different kind of BBQ than what comes out of a WSM burning charcoal and wood chunks in a lower airflow environment.

I personally like a lot of smoke, so I'm one of those folks who is always adding more wood chunks. One of the things I plan to try at some point is turning my WSM into a Santa Maria style grill for a tri-tip. Wood splits in the bottom and door off/top off to get the air flow and temps up.

Normally when we want higher temps on a WSM we crack the lid or door and can hit 325- 350++.. Your doing both and using water and keeping temps between 250 -275 while burning splits?
I dunno , I'm glad it works for you but you must use alot of water?

Normally when we want higher temps on a WSM we crack the lid or door and can hit 325- 350++.. Your doing both and using water and keeping temps between 250 -275 while burning splits?
I dunno , I'm glad it works for you but you must use alot of water?
Yes, it uses more water. The only drawback so far is if you put meat on the lower grate, the underside will get steamed. The lower grate needs to be lifted or maybe use a pizza pan.

My biggest concern is that I don't want people thinking that the WSM is somehow deficient right out of the box because a few YouTube "experts" say so...that when used as directed with charcoal and wood chunks, with the lid and access door closed, that it produces foul-tasting barbecue. That is not the experience for most owners. In fact, we hear from some pellet grill owners that their smokers do not produce adequate smoke flavor. When I visited Franklin BBQ in Austin (twice) and ate his award-winning brisket, I marveled at how it had virtually no smoke flavor. If that's what's meant by "clean" flavor, I guess maybe I like a little more smoke flavor on my barbecued meats.
Yes. There should be little to no smoke flavour because then it's easy to eat the meat. The "smokey" taste of the WSM makes it very difficult to eat large quantities of meat. If you're eating only a few bites, I guess, but I struggled to eat more than a slice or 2 of brisket or more than a few ribs. I would have sold the WSM and bought a cheap offset if this method didn't work so well.

I gather that you do not like heavy smoke flavor. A lot of folks don't. I usually smoke with oak and I once tried that on chicken and yuck. Have you tried just using charcoal by itself or maybe with 1 small piece of a fruit wood?

I, personally, like a lot smoke, if it's quality smoke, and I find that locally harvested hickory splits provide the flavor I'm looking for. Maybe it's the Carolina soil that makes the difference in hickory flavor?

I upgraded my WSM with the Cajun Bandit Extended Rack.
The CB Extended Rack lowers the water pan height and raises the middle rack to be closer to the upper rack.
Some people don't like these changes because it reduces the total volume of charcoal you can put inside but it's not an issue with this method.
The biggest issue is the lowest rack is quite a bit cooler than the middle and upper racks.

I cooked the ribs on the top rack, brisket on the middle and pork shoulder on the bottom.
Once the ribs were done, I put the pork shoulder on the top rack.
Ideally the ribs would go on the bottom rack but that makes it more difficult to spray and wrap.
However it probably is possible to pull the racks from the side door with tongs so I might try that next time.
Results were good. Nice smoke ring on the ribs and pork.

Cajun Bandit Extended Rack.
CB.jpgpreCB.jpgpostCB.jpg

Beef
brisket1.jpgbrisket2.jpg
ribs1.jpgribs2.jpg

Pork
pork1.jpgpork2.jpg

Last edited:

Back