WSM 22" (57cm) assembly advice (with photos and tips)

Petroni North

TVWBB Member
Assembly advice WSM 57cm/22” with photos & tips

Box is not so much heavy as big and awkward. You may welcome a hand moving it.

Mine arrived undamaged. On opening, all parts were present.

Laid out the parts (photo soon)

Tip – empty all parts out of the box. Close the lid of the box and use it as a workbench. The leg assembly is very awkward at floor level, much easier at waist/chest height.

Tip – despite what the assembly instruction images show, you will need a short (3” or so) stubby slotted screwdriver. Each of the three legs is shaped in such a way that you cannot get a regular screwdriver to fit into the space and to try would risk nasty scratches as you inevitably slip and slide trying.

Base assembly. This is the only other bit (apart from carrying the box) where a second pair of hands are really useful. If you position the heat reflector plate in its place under the bottom bowl while at the same time trying to attach/position the three legs, its gets a bit lively.

Tip – attach the lower leg bolts first. You need to place an anti vibration washed between the leg and the smoker. If you attach the top part of the leg first it becomes much harder to then attach the bottom (I learned the hard way).

Struggled a bit with the legs as the holes did not align well and some elbow grease was needed to get the bolt through while holding the fibre washer in place. Time 18 minutes

Tip – when you place the burning shelf into the base bowl, position it so that the two lengths of metal on one side are uppermost. This allows the burning grate to sit more securely than when the shelf is the other way as the two metal length keep the grate from moving to the side of the smoker’s body.

Adding attachments to the middle section. Attaching the cooking shelf supports was very easy and took 9 minutes. Fitting the rubber grommet/bung (which allows wire leads/sensors probes to pass through) – Time 1 minute.

Tip – you will need a small to medium sized cross head screwdriver to fit the two handles.

Time to fit the handles 2 minutes

Negatives

I tested the thermostat for accuracy and was disappointed to find it read 88C when it should have been reading at 100C. I know its only an indicator and that I will in practice use more sensitive probes but it seemed a long way out for such a basic reading and therefore serves very limited purpose.

The major disappointment was the removable door panel (for adding water/extra briquettes etc). This is a shocking poor piece of design and fabrication. Its lightweight metal, misformed and a poor piece of kit. Mine had two x 3 mm gaps along the top of the door, one x 3 mm gap down the right side and a massive 8mm gap down the left side. The amount of air that this will let in worries me as logic suggests that a cool updraft on the gate door side of the smoker will interfere with the consistency of heating at both cooking shelves.

I called the guy who sold it to me and he said

- It’s a well known problem
- It won’t make as much difference as you think
- Try reworking the shape and bend it into a better fit
- A firm in USA is fabricating a stainless steel alternative that will cost about £40 (approx $60) and will cost a lot to ship to UK

I may try adding a thin bead of high temperature mastic about 3mm thick all around the area left, right and top of the door to see if this will help even out the irregular air gaps. Alternatively I thought of using a 3/4mm string/line that can be poked into the gaps each time the door is shut but neither option appeal to me.

Anyone found a fix for this? Does it affect cooking evenness/times in any significant way?

The small tool images in the manual assembly section are not inclusive

Final negative was Weber registration online (www.weber.com) . It requires you to add your serial number but from the packing labels there is no way to figure out which of the four numbers is the serial number. Easy fix by adding the words ‘serial number’ above the correct one next time the label design is updated (in case anyone from Weber ever reads this). Edit : I learned that the serial number is stamped on the top vent (thanks Darren)

Positives
- excellent piece of kit, well constructed, heavy duty and nice finish
- easy to assemble (other than the small issues above)
- all parts present
- no unnecessary packaging and about 99% of it recyclable
- assembly time almost exactly 30 minutes (even with the leg mistake)

That’s my lot. My second post will be a list of kit that I have assembled in readiness for using the smoker which may help other new users think through stuff they might otherwise forget (and make fewer trips to the shops!).

Now I just need the lousy UK weather forecast which predicts 6 days rain to be wrong as I have two shoulders and a brisket sitting in the fridge sucking up some rub

Edit : I have tried to upload a few photos but failed, too old and dumb it seems :(

Peter (PeterFromSandhurst)

Last edited:
UK WSM 22 Noob could use some advice

Hi,

Peter here from Sandhurst Berkshire UK (home of the famous Sandhurst Military Academy).

Experienced BBQer and Sous Vide user but brand spanking new to the world of smoking.

Just posted a piece in WSM new users to help those who haven't yet assembled their kit but I ran into a little trouble with the rather badly formed door/gate which seems to let a load of air past. Anyone got any thoughts or proven solutions for plugging the gaps as no amount of bending solves it, just changes where the air gets through.

Anyway, Hi. I am now off to make some rub and baste/sauce Shame is forecast to rain for a week :( PeterFromSandhurst

I use tin foil to seal up the gaps around door and the lid. I will fold the tin foil in a v shape then slide it in the gap in the door and fold one side over the door. on the lid I roll up the tin foil round and push it in to the gaps around the lid.they have a replacement door that stainless steel look up Cajun bandit and they have a gasket you can put on called nomex good luck and happy smoking

:wsm::kingsford::blackkettle:

Maclane's got it covered. Aluminum foil works fine, but really some minor air leakage won't be a huge problem and over time the smoke/gunk will build up and seal minor cracks.

If your door really doesn't fit or is bent, you can try to bend it back, ask Weber for an OEM replacement on warranty, or purchase a stainless steel aftermarket door from a third party vendor.

I second Dave's and Maclane's advice. A little bit of air won't hurt anything and will help you get to the higher temps you need for a high heat brisket.
Lance

I use tin foil to seal up the gaps around door and the lid. I will fold the tin foil in a v shape then slide it in the gap in the door and fold one side over the door. on the lid I roll up the tin foil round and push it in to the gaps around the lid.they have a replacement door that stainless steel look up Cajun bandit and they have a gasket you can put on called nomex good luck and happy smoking

:wsm::kingsford::blackkettle:

Many thanks all, much appreciated. Email sent to Cajun Bandit and now awaiting reply.

Foil seems so obvious, it must have been the rain making my brain slow today :s

I'll do a test (first cook) tomorrow with a shoulder and a brisket and try to gauge if the gaps are too bad but will contact Weber anyway under warranty to see if a replacement is any better. Reason for being concerned is that even after trying to reshape the misshapen door, I still have gaps almost ½" wide which seems excessive.

Cheers guys - grateful to you

Many thanks all, much appreciated. Email sent to Cajun Bandit and now awaiting reply.

Foil seems so obvious, it must have been the rain making my brain slow today :s

I'll do a test (first cook) tomorrow with a shoulder and a brisket and try to gauge if the gaps are too bad but will contact Weber anyway under warranty to see if a replacement is any better. Reason for being concerned is that even after trying to reshape the misshapen door, I still have gaps almost ½" wide which seems excessive.

Cheers guys - grateful to you

Same. They will send you a new door without question, they know it's an issue. The problem is, the new door will not be any better.

I ordered a CB SS door the same day my unit arrived.

Emails, Ebay and crossed fingers

Same. They will send you a new door without question, they know it's an issue. The problem is, the new door will not be any better.

I ordered a CB SS door the same day my unit arrived.

Thanks Mac,

In the last 20 minutes I sent

- email to Weber UK regarding the door and assume another pointless one will arrive
- in same email I advised that the temp gauge reads 88c when it is in boiling water
- I also ordered 20ft of Nomex gasket (Ebay) and glue assuming I need to make my own alternative

I have researched the Cajun Bandit door but none available in Europe it seems so another high cost import looms :(

If this works (and the replacement door doesn't) I will chase Weber for the end costs of the home made repairs as in the UK we have a law (Sale of Goods Act) that requires goods to be of merchantable quality and I suspect this would fail the legal challenge - I will give a shout if it comes to that.

The Weber manual says I should use 330 briquettes to get the 22" fired up. The cost in the UK for each 'burn' is significant as the briquettes are imported (currently no stock in UK lmao) so gaps are a real cost concern.

Thanks for the response matey ~:)

Peter

Hi Peter, and welcome.

You can't upload photos to the forum, we don't have the storage capacity. But you can upload photos to a hosting service like Picasa or Photobucket and link them into your posts. See How to Post a Photo for details.

The guy that sold you the cooker was right about the fit of the door on the 22" model. It has never been a good fit and Weber has done nothing about it. We were discussing it as far back as February 2009: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?12-Access-door-question

Morning Peter,

The serial number is stamped on the top vent. And the Cajun Bandit stainless steel replacement door can be purchased in the UK from battleboxbbq

Darren

Hi Peter, and welcome.

You can't upload photos to the forum, we don't have the storage capacity. But you can upload photos to a hosting service like Picasa or Photobucket and link them into your posts. See How to Post a Photo for details.

The guy that sold you the cooker was right about the fit of the door on the 22" model. It has never been a good fit and Weber has done nothing about it. We were discussing it as far back as February 2009: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?12-Access-door-question

Thanks for the link Chris. During my forum time yesterday I came across one from a guy claiming to be a Weber engineer who worked on the original WSM 22 back in 1999 and the problem was known then he says.

Morning Peter,

The serial number is stamped on the top vent. And the Cajun Bandit stainless steel replacement door can be purchased in the UK from battleboxbbq

Darren

Cheers Darren, I'll check if the serial number I sent is the right one and edit the post to correct my mistake. I did find BattleBox yesterday afternoon and emailed an enquiry about available stock but so far have not heard back

Welcome to the forum Peter.
I resolve the door likeages with this
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/170768327955. It works.

Then I moved to Canjun Bandit stainless door.

I ordered exactly that gasket last night Enrico via Ebay as there are no stainless steel doors stocked in Europe it seems (but awaiting a reply from BattleBoxBBQ) but I emailed Cajun Bandit for availability of a door and a couple of modification kit pieces (extra cooking section etc) and I even offered to act as a UK stockist for doors if no one else is currently doing so but I have no idea of the number of UK sales of wsm 22's so not sure if its a smart move

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Peter and looking forward to seeing some of your cooks. Like you found out if you have a question, we have lots of people who will help.
Again welcome and have fun.

Welcome to the forum Peter and looking forward to seeing some of your cooks. Like you found out if you have a question, we have lots of people who will help.
Again welcome and have fun.
Many thanks for the welcome. If this rain ever stops I'll get cooking and grab a photo or two of the results :)

I just bent my door back into place. No problems after that
Thanks Matt, I'll see if I can get a replacement from Weber before I mutilate this one any further -.^

I just bent my door back into place. No problems after that

Ditto.. I tapped it lightly with a heavy rubber mallet while the unit was hot and it seemed to form in place quite well, hasn't been a bother since. I also adjusted the latch so it would hold the door tighter to the unit

Peter - the doors are notorious for leaking - just need to work it or replace.
There are even suppliers in the UK now for the Cajun Bandit door - which a lot of people swear by (search for Battleboxbbq)

Thanks Chris. I sent an email to Battlebox last week and awaiting a reply and I also emailed Weber UK about the door so by hook or by crook I should be airtight soon.

Back