WSM 22.5" Can not keep temperature consistent.

I installed the gasketing on the door opening and the lid, and really don't see huge changes in temps over a cook. Maybe 10-15 degrees. I leave my bottom vents at ~50% open and the top 100% open and control my temp with the bottom, usually just using the front one to regulate.

It also depends on the wind, the sun, etc. My cooker gets sun on it all morning until about mid afternoon, and if it's breezy out, the temps will fluctuate a bit. I typically run hot-ish, around 260-265°F for everything and the results are amazing. Basically, with the vents set the way I have them, it's pretty much set it forget it for 90% of the day. A few degrees plus or minus isn't anything to sweat, IMO. If you are having 20-30 degree climbs, like everyone has said, check the door and the lid. I feel I don't need to go crazy and buy a SS door. The gasketing has worked very well, and my cooks are pretty uneventful.

Some people switch to the pellet cookers, and that's fine if you truly want set it and forget it, but, I enjoy using my skills and constant learning to fine tune my cooks. I also keep a journal app (https://tvwbb.com/threads/180que-the-competition-bbq-app-for-android.66456/). Plus, everyone says my food tastes way better than anything off a pellet smoker. And that's why I do it.
Thanks.
I now have gaskets between the lid & middle section, middle section & bottom, and around the door. Haven't had a cook to test out the new gaskets but will update the thread when I do.

By "cover" I assume you mean "lid", and we always cook with the lid on, so this confuses me a bit.

But assuming you're cooking with the lid on the cooker and all vents are closed and your temp still creeps up, it's because you've got air getting into the cooker from other spots, most likely around the access door and perhaps a gap between the charcoal bowl and the middle section.

If you see large gaps around the top corners of the door, you can try to carefully reshape the door for a better fit. Some will replace the door with a Cajun Bandit stainless steel door, but those are not always perfect, either. It solves the problem for some people, but not for others, it just depends on the door they ship to you.

If you see a gap between the charcoal bowl and middle section, you can sometimes rotate the middle section while inserted into the charcoal bowl and it will bind in such a way that it mostly closes the gap. If that doesn't work, you can fill the gap by taking a length of aluminum foil, folding it lengthwise into a strip a few inches wide, and forming it into a disposable gasket. If you want a more permanent solution, you can install a heat-resistant gasket kit.

View attachment 70454

View attachment 70455

View attachment 70456

View attachment 70457
After years of smoking with a WSM, I’ve been having similar issues lately as well. I think my door has loosened up a bit and I think that’s the issue. After I’m finished smoking I close all the vents, but the next day the coals are still smoldering. That gasket set looks like just the ticket. Thanks Chris!

Try doing an empty cook minion method with several pieces of smoke wood to see where there's air escaping.

I need to round out my Cajun door a little - seeing too much smoke coming around the edges.

One can also use a flashlight, at night, dangled on a string to see if there are any leaks.
You should be looking for leaks that feed fresh air into the "fire".

Back